Ticket Sales Down

These 60" TVs were available last year weren't they? Didn't you have a comfy couch with beer in the fridge last year. I sold 3 extra pairs of season tickets, 4 extra tickets to the GA game and 2 extra tickets to the LSU game and made enough money to pay for my seats and donation plus some last year. This year I had to take a loss on 1 set of season tickets and didn't take the risk on more.

So the 60" TV and comfy couch comments are nonsense.

Reactions: KBVol
I agree, people are in a wait and see mode. Come week 4 Neyland will be sold out
And everything will be fine. Fans just want to see results before they waiste their hard earned money again. Last year really did a number on the vol faithfuls.
This is the only reasonable explanation but all I see so far looks good with Pruitt.

Reactions: KBVol
Part of the problem is losing a home game to the neutral site games and the other is the out of conference weak home games. If they scheduled more home and home games with Notre Dame, Miami, etc that would help a lot. The TV time outs at the stadium suck too.

Last edited:
Reactions: onevol74
Ok then address the other side. Why do the other schools.i mentioned all have waiting lists? Their fans don't have HD? Nothing beats the environment of being at the game. People have been complaining about TV long before HD. It's not the problem. If there is a problem beyong losing it is StubHub. When your team is down you get invaded by the opponent. Who wants to be there for that when you suck?
I never said winning doesn't play a part. So does tv. Why would I want to pay over $100 a ticket, drive all the way from Nashville, and fight the crowd, traffic, public restroom, and stadium food. Not when I can watch it from the comfort of my recliner in my air conditioned living room.

I never said winning doesn't play a part. So does tv. Why would I want to pay over $100 a ticket, drive all the way from Nashville, and fight the crowd, traffic, public restroom, and stadium food. Not when I can watch it from the comfort of my recliner in my air conditioned living room.
You said that I was wrong to think the 60" flat screen doesn't play a part. I'm telling you,it doesn't play a part. Ticket sales are directly correlated with on field success and potential success. Doesn't matter if you are Tennessee, FSU, Auburn, whoever. People already own the TVs but they only have 7 or of these opportunities each year. People don't anticipate having a lot of fun this year so they are opting to save the money.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
The 60” flat screen with no traffic or crowds experience at home costs you nothing, that’s why imo
I went to watch Mercer play Bama last year. They probably had more people in BD than UTK got for any of its home games outside UGA. Win and they will spend the money to come and be part of the winning.

Reactions: OnlyGodForgives
I did not renew my tickets this season. I'm in a wait and see mode.

Plus, it takes a decent amount of money to make it games (donation, tickets, gas, food, etc), and the house is much more convenient. That being said, there's nothing better than sitting in Neyland on a Saturday IMO.

Reactions: gordonr24
You said that I was wrong to think the 60" flat screen doesn't play a part. I'm telling you,it doesn't play a part. Ticket sales are directly correlated with on field success and potential success. Doesn't matter if you are Tennessee, FSU, Auburn, whoever. People already own the TVs but they only have 7 or of these opportunities each year. People don't anticipate having a lot of fun this year so they are opting to save the money.
I'm telling you for an absolute fact that it influences my decision! Wanna tell me I'm wrong? I guarantee you I'm not the only one

Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and 08Vol
The cost of living continues to skyrocket while wages continue to be stagnant. This is the elephant in the room no one seems to want to talk about. A lot of people simply can't afford it anymore.
I believe Tennessee has some of the highest donation requirements in the SEC

Reactions: NashvilleFan
Sad that you can buy a brand new 4K 65" Tv for less than it cost to attend some home games! I can almost guarantee that if they would lower seat prices and concession prices, along with selling alcohol, they could easily exceed their revenue expectations.

Sad that you can buy a brand new 4K 65" Tv for less than it cost to attend some home games! I can almost guarantee that if they would lower seat prices and concession prices, along with selling alcohol, they could easily exceed their revenue expectations.
I think most schools will start to sell alcohol to offset the loss of revenue with shrinking attendance. I think selling alcohol might very well help to increase attendance in a lot of cases.

Reactions: EODVOL
Because the product on the field is garbage. Because I am sick of driving three hours one way only to have to tell my teenage kids how we used to be great as they watch us get our asses handed to us, and I have to see them roll their eyes at me when I say it. Because I am sick how Vandy always beats TN now. That’s how far we have fallen!

You want me there lower ticket prices. Don’t raise them. And act like you give a damn about the team. We got lucky with this coach. The ad was trying their best to screw us again.

You clearly have no idea about CJP's personality. If Pruitt isnt seriously competing by Year 3 (and maybe by Year 2) he will LEAVE. Realize that Pruitt has never in his football career as a coach or a player been on a team with a losing season. I am not actually sure he has ever been on one that didnt win at least 10 games in a season. He has coached multiple National Championship teams in his few years. HE IS USED TO WINNING AND WINNING BIGLY ON THE BIG STAGE. We do not know yet if he will be able to pull it off here but if you think that PRUITT will stick around 5 years for a rebuild, you are mistaken. Wait and see - if this year is anything less than SEC E champ, CJP will be in CPF and UT board's face like a rabid bulldog about what HAS to happen for them to be SEC champs the next. I think he genuinely believes that they SHOULD win each game (will they is another question) - its just the way he is built.
This is nonsense. Without winning in years 1-3, he will not have opportunities at equal or better jobs. He will not walk way from this type of paycheck in those circumstances over his imagined ideal youve assigned to him. Your theory has serious logical flaws that cant be overcome. I enjoy your imagination and optimism however.

When we start winning the stands will be full. All the big games in the sec are sellouts, yeah the smaller games might not sell out even in great years but when we are winning you can beat your bottom dollar Neyland Stadium will be full. Even in down times Tennessee's attendance numbers are among the highest in the country. People are making more of it than it is, yes TV is a bigger factor but major college football games will always be a huge draw. GBO!!!!!

For many years, Saturdays were all about college football. Now CFB competes for time against fall league baseball, softball, soccer and cross country to mention a few. For the many parents and grandparents who live 100 or more miles away, priorities don't allow for the time to get to Knoxville and back. Add in the convenience of watching at home.....

My wife and I have discussed getting our grandchildren into the atmosphere, but it's expensive and makes for a really long day for kids. But really, the parts we miss the most are not the games. Burgers or breakfast at the Varsity, Vol Walk, watching the POTS march to the stadium, watching warm ups and putting numbers and names together, pregame POTS show (Fight Vols Fight, Tn Waltz), and one of the coolest things in American sports- running thru the T. Sitting in the too small seat with my knees jammed into some poor soul's back...not so much.

Reactions: bigdaddy and CPA
This is nonsense. Without winning in years 1-3, he will not have opportunities at equal or better jobs. He will not walk way from this type of paycheck in those circumstances over his imagined ideal youve assigned to him. Your theory has serious logical flaws that cant be overcome. I enjoy your imagination and optimism however.

zyqrYZC.gif

I am not saying Pruitt would get great offers if he is mediocre (8-9 wins in Y3), I am saying that I dont think he would last that long because he would be jumping down the Admins throat long before that to get him whatever he thought was needed to win (happened at GA and he wasnt even HC). That would have gotten him canned in previous UT Admins but I expect Fulmer will "do his darndest" to get him whatever is needed. Pruitt has repeatedly proven that he can recruit, he has repeatedly proven he can coach up players, he has repeatedly proven he can call a defense (tops in the nation) - and he didnt do these things in the bohunk league. The only thing he hasnt done is run the show - but being under Sab/tan for so long he knows what the best looks like. If for some reason that isnt going gangbusters, CJP is likely to presume the problem is likely not in the field and so he will be open to offers to go elsewhere where he can get it done. And by getting it done, I mean winning championships not 9 win seasons. Pruitt is not playing for a paycheck, I think, so much as chasing his idols, Saban and Propst. At least that is what all info so far points to.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
I'd like to think my TV and sound system are pretty good, and my couch is pretty comfy.

But if I could go to UT's site and buy tickets retail every week instead of having to scalp decent seats for 300 bucks, I'd be at every game at Neyland. And I live in Florida.

Simple solution: start winning again and fans will show up. Some people forget we are coming off our worst season ever. I know for me personally, I’m tired of shelling out $150/ticket for games only for us to crap the bed. Probably how a lot of other fans feel right now too.

VN Store

Back