Things that you would change about the game if you could.

1. eliminate the ejection for targeting until the 2nd offense....
2. change the rules for the clock back to what it used to be....sick of TV trying to dictate the game...i.e., the clock stops on out of bounds plays, and incomplete passes....
3. shorten play clock to 35 seconds....
4. institute a 2 minute warning
5. make PI a spot foul
6. a player is not ruled down until he is touched--like the NFL....

Just off the top of my head

Watch the NFL.

I’d make 2 major changes.

1. Get rid of the targeting penalty altogether.
2. P5 schools can only play P5 schools

Reactions: AM64
Points for field goals are awarded based on distance:
inside the 20 1 point
20-30 2 points
30-40 3 points
40-50 4 points
50+ 5 points

This reminds me of North Korean basketball rules I read a story about a while back lol. Kim Jong Un is that you??? You really are a Vol fan??? Lol

I would put the refs out there like they are, although I would put the CALLS online to be determined by the fans. You have 10 seconds to cast your vote on any play in question. It’ll speed up the game and take the bias out of the refs hands. Overall a more fair game.
You want to take thr BIAS from the refs, and let the extremely BIASED fans vote on calls? Notsureifserious.

Reactions: I40flyer
I hate starting overtime at the 25. Unless you have a horrible kicker, even if you dont advance you're probably still getting points. Seems like it makes things so much easier to go to into multiple OTs. Put them back to the 35 to actually earn a FG. Would end the game quicker.
Or do like the XFL (I think) where you get put at the 10 yard line and you have 5 plays to get into the endzone as many times as you can. Anything but starting at the 25.

You want to take thr BIAS from the refs, and let the extremely BIASED fans vote on calls? Notsureifserious.
I think it’s worth a shot. It may need some tweaking, like TV audiences only and/or no one from either city that the teams represent but with the right adjustments it could work or fail. My biggest point is I’m tired of watching refs blatantly determine the outcomes of games. They are the sole reason the game is slowly acquiring the reputation of being fixed like boxing or wrestling and I want a way out. The only other thing I could think of is attaching charges to the severity of the bad call and change the color of their stripes.

Saban and Kirby shouldn’t get to pay players, let’s address that rule first.

Seriously the Georgia thing especially drives me crazy. Bama, Ohio State, Clemson... all programs with the past decade of true relevance (including Natties) and some team that hasn’t won it all in 40 years can somehow out-recruit them? Georgia is a second-fiddle SEC program that has spent the majority of its existence in Tennessee’s shadow, so is the NCAA ever going to ask what Kirby could possibly be selling them? Nothing about playing at Georgia is or ever has been appealing enough to draw in this many of the country’s top players.

Get away from 2 hand touch and go back to knocking the pee pee out of each other again. Fans want to see pops! If you are not tough enough to play or worried about future problems from playing, learn to sew or crochet.

IMO
1. Targeting rule is so inconsistent get rid of it
2. Fair catch on kickoffs start at the 25 if not a touchback that sucks get rid of it
3. Anytime runner is out of bounds clock should stop. Regardless of quarter or time left.
4. Transfers should be allowed to transfer 1 time without having to set out a season. Coaches come and go and alot of players commit to the coaches they would be playing for, so a one time transfer due to that or family issues should be accepted.
5. Last but certainly not least I'm not a real big fan of the way the conferences are aligned right now it really doesn't make much sense really. For example the winner of the sec plays their division plus 2 cross divisional games, that doesn't really prove to me they were the best team in conference. I'd like to see more conference games, I'm not saying remove all "cupcakes" because of the money it earns the smaller schools and plus sometimes they get a round robin win the game and get paid.

Who determines if a timeout is a 30 second timeout or a full timeout? Drives me nuts when the refs announce "This is a 30 second timeout." If I'm a coach I'm saying all timeouts are equal, meaning all are full timeouts.
Always wondered how this worked

Reactions: DixieVol
Use the same computerized ball placement review as professional tennis uses. Won't have to question weather the ball broke the plane.

Lose the rule where the other team gets awarded the football if someone fumbles out of the end zone. It makes zero sense to me that anywhere else you fumble and it goes out of bounds you get the ball where it went out or at the spot of the fumble. But if you fumble through the end zone it’s automatically the other teams ball. I’ll never understand it.
Exactly what I was going to post

On 3d downs at Neyland have a coon dog barking treed and make it louder than that dam Elephant!

Something I saw the other day...(not college football, but wth)

"Every season, the winner of the XFL championship game plays the worst team in the NFL that season. If the XFL team wins, it takes the place of the NFL team, and the NFL team drops to the XFL next season."

I wonder how it would work out if the defense scored 1 point if they held the offense to a 3 and out and if the offense scored 1 point for the first 1st down on each series.

Just something I thought of after reading the thread title.

1) Ditch instant replay. Cramps the game, they still get it wrong too often, still subject to bias, and they don't follow their own rules (indisputable evidence, anyone?).

2) Ditch the targeting rule and instead institute a rule that all tackles must involve an attempt to wrap up with 2 hands.

3) If you can't get 2) then make targeting work both ways -- the offensive player can be flagged if he lowers his head and initiates contact (Should be yet another "Tennessee rule" because we have been flagged for it so often when it should have been called on the offense).

4) If you can't get 1), then add pass interference and holding to review-able plays.

5) Clock starts ticking the minute a play is reviewed. If no decision can be reached within 60 seconds, the play call stands. No more of these 5+ minute reviews.
YES!

It drives me insane that the refs still get it wrong half the time it seems like! Take a glance is your are bad wrong correct it if, its close go with the call on the field.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
Fun thread.

Make games exactly 3 hours long. Each quarter is a 40 minute running clock with a 20 minute halftime. No such thing as a timeout. Just cram in as many plays as you can in the 40 minutes. Still have the play clock, of course.

Same rules applied for the entire game. No change in any rules just because it's near the end of the game.

No contact allowed by anyone above the shoulders. That means you can't hit with any part of your body above the shoulders. And you can't make contact with any part of another player above their shoulders.

Quit keeping score so nobodies feelings get hurt and fans won’t become nega fans everyone gets a championship trophy. Then go home to our safe place.🤔

Reactions: Wireless1
Player each have a flag they can throw. Ref rules violation or not, if not 5 yd delay of game penalty
That keeps the whiny receivers from fake throwing flags to influence the refs.
Real holds, blocks in the backs, and PF like was committed on Shy Tuttle get called.
Probably many fewer calls, think about all the self calls in BY games

Lose the rule where the other team gets awarded the football if someone fumbles out of the end zone. It makes zero sense to me that anywhere else you fumble and it goes out of bounds you get the ball where it went out or at the spot of the fumble. But if you fumble through the end zone it’s automatically the other teams ball. I’ll never understand it.
At the very least, eliminate the touchback and give the defense possession at their own 1 yard line.

VN Store

Back