Things that you would change about the game if you could.

Eliminate TV timeouts. Nothing more frustrating for the fans and players. There is plenty of opportunities to sell beer after scores and at the end of quarters. At least stop the tv break after a kickoff. That one is ridiculous.

How would the laser system tell when a players knee is down? Sounds like a good idea but not sure it would be practical

Still would need officials to watch that aspect, although in the future, uniforms might also be connected to a laser system. I just think the chain gang is 100 year old technology that needs to be retired.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
1. eliminate the ejection for targeting until the 2nd offense....
2. change the rules for the clock back to what it used to be....sick of TV trying to dictate the game...i.e., the clock stops on out of bounds plays, and incomplete passes....
3. shorten play clock to 35 seconds....
4. institute a 2 minute warning
5. make PI a spot foul
6. a player is not ruled down until he is touched--like the NFL....

Just off the top of my head

Agree with: 2,3,6
Disagree with: 1,4
Would like to discuss: 5

1) Ditch instant replay. Cramps the game, they still get it wrong too often, still subject to bias, and they don't follow their own rules (indisputable evidence, anyone?).

2) Ditch the targeting rule and instead institute a rule that all tackles must involve an attempt to wrap up with 2 hands.

3) If you can't get 2) then make targeting work both ways -- the offensive player can be flagged if he lowers his head and initiates contact (Should be yet another "Tennessee rule" because we have been flagged for it so often when it should have been called on the offense).

4) If you can't get 1), then add pass interference and holding to review-able plays.

5) Clock starts ticking the minute a play is reviewed. If no decision can be reached within 60 seconds, the play call stands. No more of these 5+ minute reviews.
Agree with: 3,5
Disagree with: 1,2
Would like to discuss: 4

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
1. No targetting, or you can also call targetting on offensive players lowering their heads before contact. I am tired of the defenses being handcuffed!!
2. Two feet down, inbounds, for a completed pass.
3. If you fair catch a kick-off, it is put down where you stand, outside the endzone. You have to take a knee, in the endzone.

Last edited:
Reactions: AM64
Lose the rule where the other team gets awarded the football if someone fumbles out of the end zone. It makes zero sense to me that anywhere else you fumble and it goes out of bounds you get the ball where it went out or at the spot of the fumble. But if you fumble through the end zone itā€™s automatically the other teams ball. Iā€™ll never understand it.

I agree. To further clarify this play: Place the ball where the fumble first occurs in all cases on all types of play kick, pass, run, all plays.

Reactions: Kngsport VFL
And "biased"and/or more numerous fans wouldn't???
I figure the fans of other teams that are watching would even it out. We all watch games every Saturday and/or Sunday that we have no dog in the fight while we wait for our game or after it ends. I just think back to the Bama game this past year being one of the worst and slanted games Iā€™ve ever seen at any level. Then someone did some digging and discovered one of the refs had a daughter that attended Alabama. I know Tennessee fans are fair and Iā€™d expect most other fans would be too. I canā€™t see Alabama fans voting ā€œunnecessary roughnessā€ on Darrell Taylor for getting up off the qb.

No. What if the injury is legit like getting the wind knocked out for one or two plays. Happens all the time.

Good comeback, but there is just too much "faking". This is a case where the bad hurts the good. One thing, this and some other "change wishes" (i.e. bring back full 'blown kickoffs") would soon increase the squad number, or let more guys into the game to cover the increase in injuries.

The first thing I'd change is Overtime. The key word is 'TIME" . Instead of taking turns from the 20 yard line, Simply add 5 minutes, 10 minutes - whatever, coin toss, and kickoff. That the overtime is actually based on TIME! No unfair advantages. Just play another short quarter, or 2 if needed. NFL overtime sucks too. I don't understand why this has never been tried!?!?!

Another thing is, I would like to see unsportsmanlike penalties put is place for players who crowd around a completed play, and try to be the refs. Stand back, so the refs can get a better look, with your hands to yourself, and wait for their decision,.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
I hope that Tennessee will adapt aggressive offensive strategy - Reverses, Running back passes, option plays, and tricks integratedinto a badass 1st down machine system ,mostly based on strength - solid run game, and speed - short passes.
NFL overtime rules suck. Love the college overtime.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Agree with: 3,5
Disagree with: 1,2
Would like to discuss: 4

My main trouble with #4 is this -- holding occurs so often, it would no doubt totally wreck the flow of the game. It's just a fantasy of mine after umpteen gillion hours of watching certain teams hold, hold, and HOLD YET AGAIN and almost never be flagged for it. As for PI, I have never understood why it can't be reviewed. They say it's a judgement call, etc., etc., but so many calls are judgement calls that CAN be reviewed. And sometimes the non-PI calls are simply so ridiculous, I'd like to at least see the refs take a look at it. Though, again, there we go slowing up the game. That's why I find myself wanting to junk reviews altogether.

My biggest pet peeve in football is when a receiver and a DB are both sprinting down the field and the receiver just changes directions to come back for the ball, collides with the DB, and gets a PI. That shouldnā€™t be PI. In fact... If anything it should be called on the offense.

As many other have said... They either need to get rid of targeting or start calling it equally on the offense.

I donā€™t want to remove replay but I think they should be given no more than 60 seconds and if they canā€™t change it by then, the play stands as called.

Also... I think each coach should get one challenge per game to challenge absolutely any call he wants. You think they missed a hold? Challenge it. You think that was/wasnā€™t PI? Challenge it. Missed facemask? Challenge it. The thing is you only get one per game regardless of weather or not youā€™re right. So use it wisely. You would get charged a TO if youā€™re wrong though so you wouldnā€™t be able to challenge if youā€™ve used all your TOs.

How bout let him make his challenge, if wrong, 5 or 10 yrd. penalty??

Anything kicked immediately out of bounds on a kick off without touching in the field of play first is a penalty.

1. This includes kicking out the back of the endzone.

2. Eliminates the penalty currently assessed for the ball traveling out of bounds on kickoffs even if the ball hit in the field first.

I think this would create a more strategic kicking game, i.e. pinning teams deep on kickoffs like the punting game already attempts to do.

And create excitement, returner has to assess rather to snatch ball and try to gain yards versus let it travel out and lose field position.

Hate the new fair catch on kick off rule. Takes the kicking and return game out of play.
It was done because of the pct. of injuries on kicking plays vs. other plays so I doubt the rules ever change back to the way it was. I agree it does take some fun out of the game.

Bring these back:

HDNRBy.gif

blQjbU.gif

How bout let him make his challenge, if wrong, 5 or 10 yrd. penalty??

I guess you could do that if a team had used up their TOs. But I definitely think it should be limited to one challenge per game regardless of the outcome. I feel like this would restrict its use almost entirely to game changing or potential game changing calls.

Also if was to ever work, thereā€™d have to be consequence for officials who blatantly refused to overturn their bad judgement calls. The ruleā€™s been essentially worthless in regards to PI in the NFL cause thereā€™s been an almost refusal to overturn bad calls with, from what I see, no consequences.

VN Store

Back