Things that you would change about the game if you could.

Swing tackles....... I would definitely eliminate those. That’s gotta be the most dangerous tackle in existence and I can’t believe they are still legal in today’s game.

I think it’s worth a shot. It may need some tweaking, like TV audiences only and/or no one from either city that the teams represent but with the right adjustments it could work or fail. My biggest point is I’m tired of watching refs blatantly determine the outcomes of games. They are the sole reason the game is slowly acquiring the reputation of being fixed like boxing or wrestling and I want a way out. The only other thing I could think of is attaching charges to the severity of the bad call and change the color of their stripes.
99% of people have never officiated a day in their life, including me, and id like to think I know alot about football rules. Refs at this level are extremely experienced and their job is not easy. I wouldnt have any fans, biased or not make a call for a football game. There is more rule changes that need to happen at the college level.

99% of people have never officiated a day in their life, including me, and id like to think I know alot about football rules. Refs at this level are extremely experienced and their job is not easy. I wouldnt have any fans, biased or not make a call for a football game. There is more rule changes that need to happen at the college level.
I think you may have missed the original idea. The refs still make all the calls. The fans will have 10 seconds to vote Yes/no after replay. The fans understand the game well enough to determine holding/targeting/offensive or defensive PI and personal fouls. These are all the calls that the refs use on a weekly basis to give us the same result as you feel we’ll get with the fans. So what have we lost if it were tried? Nothing. All the fans are doing is confirming the call was fair.

I'm just thankful nobody on the board has a say in the rules of the game.

1) Ditch instant replay. Cramps the game, they still get it wrong too often, still subject to bias, and they don't follow their own rules (indisputable evidence, anyone?).

2) Ditch the targeting rule and instead institute a rule that all tackles must involve an attempt to wrap up with 2 hands.

3) If you can't get 2) then make targeting work both ways -- the offensive player can be flagged if he lowers his head and initiates contact (Should be yet another "Tennessee rule" because we have been flagged for it so often when it should have been called on the offense).

4) If you can't get 1), then add pass interference and holding to review-able plays.

5) Clock starts ticking the minute a play is reviewed. If no decision can be reached within 60 seconds, the play call stands. No more of these 5+ minute reviews.
1. Agree
2. Ditch the targeting rule completely.
3. Agree
4. Still have the same biases involved. I don't like this one.
5. yes, Yes, YES. If it takes 5 minutes, its not indisputable evidence.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
I would make offensive pass interference a spot foul / turnover.

Also, no more face mask. I think that would cut down on the targeting.

I would make offensive pass interference a spot foul / turnover.

Also, no more face mask. I think that would cut down on the targeting.
You obviously have never been tackled by the facemask

If camp_steveo meant no mask my bad

Last edited:
You obviously have never been tackled by the facemask
I'm pretty sure he means eliminating the facemask from the helmet leaving the face exposed, not eliminating the facemask penalty (although no facemask =no facemask to grab = no penalty)

I'm pretty sure he means eliminating the facemask from the helmet leaving the face exposed, not eliminating the facemask penalty (although no facemask =no facemask to grab = no penalty)
Aha! My bad.

Maybe, just eliminate the helmet completely, no face mask penalty and no targeting calls-I mean this is football, if you don't like getting hurt-take up sewing.

Remove ejections for targeting.. Make it a 20 yard penalty and move on.

There needs to be clarification between accidental and intentional. Intentional should be ejection, whereas accidental should be a penalty. If a player gets two accidentals in a game, he's ejected. Let the replay booth determine accidental or intentional but the caveat should be that they can only re-watch it in real time. Slow-motion is incredibly deceptive in these so-called targeting hits.

1) Ditch instant replay. Cramps the game, they still get it wrong too often, still subject to bias, and they don't follow their own rules (indisputable evidence, anyone?).

2) Ditch the targeting rule and instead institute a rule that all tackles must involve an attempt to wrap up with 2 hands.

3) If you can't get 2) then make targeting work both ways -- the offensive player can be flagged if he lowers his head and initiates contact (Should be yet another "Tennessee rule" because we have been flagged for it so often when it should have been called on the offense).

4) If you can't get 1), then add pass interference and holding to review-able plays.

5) Clock starts ticking the minute a play is reviewed. If no decision can be reached within 60 seconds, the play call stands. No more of these 5+ minute reviews.
Great post. Came here to post #1...you covered that and more.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange

VN Store

Back