Things I Have Built

Did the handrails come already curved? If not, how did you make them?

Kinda hard to explain without pictures, but here goes.

I cut them out of a White Oak 2x12s. I used a router with a 4" straight carbide tipped bit. I set up a some 1" boards on saw horses, then I cut a piece of paneling kinda in the shape a bicycle chain makes when it's on the bicycle. One end of the ppaneling has to have a diameter large enough to attach the router and the other end has to be big enough to drill a pivot holes. The thing works like a speedometer needle.

My stairs have a 36" radius. I screwed 1x1s to the sides of the plywood to stabilize it. I measured the size needed for the handrails and made the plywood long enough to do the job. I drilled two holes, one for the outside of the curve and one for the inside. I cut the 2x12 in sufficient lengths and started cutting. It took several passes as I usually cut about 1/2 inch per pass.

And I cut patterns out of wood paneling for each section and checked the fit before I cut the White Oak - which is something I'd probably never done when I was a young man.

Reactions: Tnslim1
Well - dang I’m not sure I would have tackled that. Good job.

Well, I had a temporary guardrail built out of some 1" black plastic water line curved around the posts and fastened with black tape. Something had to be done.

Well, I had a temporary guardrail built out of some 1" black plastic water line curved around the posts and fastened with black tape. Something had to be done.
Is your house a geodesic dome kind of thing?

We went to Biltmore and I was impressed with some of the designs they had in their hardwood floors. So I thought I'd give it a try. Their work was a lot better than mine, but it looks pretty good unless you get to close.octogon.jpg

I had some that we took while I was doing the framing, but I can't seem to find them today.

Something tells me there was a woman involved in that decision
Yep.

Looks cool.... did you build the house and do most of the work yourself? A buddy of mine did that.

I did it all except lay the rock on the fireplace and pour the concrete floor. And after the poor quality of the job I got on the concrete, I probably could have done it as good or better.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Any house plans?

Drew the myself.

These hand cut chimney rocks came out of a chimney that was the only thing remaining from an old homeplace. My Dad bought them and he had plans to put them in his house. Unfortunately, he died in an accident and never got to use them. They were stacked up in the yard. And they began to disappear, as various people would carry them off. I talked it over with my Mom and she agreed to let me use them. They are now what you see on the fireplace, and none of them have been carried off since.

I've built quite a few 1, 2 and 4 cylinder engines as well as some transmissions, starters, etc. I've rebuilt about every kind of electric hand too I can think of. (put myself through school working as a millwright).

Tomato cages, garage doors, cat trees, just lots of stuff.

Reactions: MWR
I've built quite a few 1, 2 and 4 cylinder engines as well as some transmissions, starters, etc. I've rebuilt about every kind of electric hand too I can think of. (put myself through school working as a millwright).

Tomato cages, garage doors, cat trees, just lots of stuff.

I'm half way there, I've taken about all of them apart. As to building, I'm somewhere around zero.

Reactions: tntar heel
I'm half way there, I've taken about all of them apart. As to building, I'm somewhere around zero.

The hardest physical part of building an engine is installing the valves properly. Other than that make sure you've got the timing aspect of the engine set up properly.

On a rebuild, I'd hone the cylinders and use new piston rings that fit properly. Additionally it's probably good to get the head and manifold machined to ensure a good fit and no leaks.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back