The Ultimate Cord Cutting Guide (merged)

I wish there was a way to stream the local channels live without one of the main streaming services. I’ve tried some expensive antennas but no dice. I think the terrain around the house is the problem.

We had YouTube TV but it’s gotten so expensive, we decided to cut it and instead picked up the Disney bundle with no-add Hulu. Overall happy with it. I’d like to add Sling when football gears back up, but always brings me back to needing local channels live.
CBS All Access will get you your local affiliate live.

CBS All Access will get you your local affiliate live.
Cant like your post enough thank you! Would love 2 and 4 as well but having 5 is better than nothing. Priced very reasonable too (for now).

I posted the following in the Paramount+ thread in the tv/movie forum. I subscribed to take advantage of the 50% off deal.

What CBS All Access Content Will Be Available on Paramount+?
Because ViacomCBS has not lost any of its content library in the merger, Paramount+ will essentially be a renaming and relaunch of CBS All Access. That means that all of the shows and movies currently accessible to CBS All Access subscribers will remain in place. The service will simply switch over on the March 4th launch date—current users will see their CBS All Access accounts and apps updated to reflect the new branding.

What New Content Is Coming to Paramount+?
In addition to the catalog of CBS television shows and original, streaming-exclusive series like Star Trek Discovery, The Good Fight, The Stand, and The Twilight Zone, the merger will add a bunch of new content. Highlighted in the pre-launch is advertising content from the following libraries:

• CBS television, including live broadcasts of the local affiliate
  • CBS Sports productions, including some live events
  • Back catalog of Paramount movies (approximately 1000 at launch)
  • Nickelodeon
  • MTV
  • BET
  • Comedy Central
  • The Smithsonian Channel
However, calling all of this new content “new” is somewhat misleading. After the latest Viacom merger, CBS All Access started adding in some of the content from the Viacom library right away. Notably, the CBS All Access movie catalog currently includes about 650 entries (though dozens of those are one-off stand-up comedy specials and Smithsonian Channel TV documentaries).

It seems clear that the Paramount+ switch-over will include a ton of new stuff. But if you’re not enticed by any of the current catalog on CBS All Access, then you probably won’t be impressed by Paramount+, either.

What Original Shows Will Paramount+ Have?
Paramount+ will have all of CBS All Access’s original shows, plus new exclusive TV and a few movies. According to both the CBS official listing and various media reports, the upcoming library includes:

• Three new Star Trek series: Strange New Worlds and Section 31, and an animated show for children, Prodigy.
  • The Spongebob Movie: Sponge on the Run, a new animated movie available on launch day (previously unavailable in the U.S.)
  • Kamp Koral: SpongeBob’s Under Years, an animated prequel series
  • 8 Fights, a documentary series on Muhammad Ali
  • A reboot of iCarly
  • A new Flashdance TV series
  • For Heaven’s Sake, a comedic true crime series
  • A reboot of The Game series from BET
  • Girls With Guns, a new series from Ridley Scott
  • Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies, a period comedy
  • Guilty Party, a dark comedy series
  • Happy Face, a thriller show
  • The Harper House, an animated comedy series
  • Lioness, a thriller series
  • The Man Who Fell to Earth, a sci-fi series based on a classic novel
  • Mercy House, an adaptation of a thriller novel
  • MTV’s Behind the Music: The Top 40
  • The Multivorce, an animated sci-fi comedy
  • The Offer, a drama miniseries
  • The Real Criminal Minds, a true crime documentary series
  • Remote, a workplace comedy
  • Twenty Four Seven, a thriller series
  • Y: 1883, a prequel to Yellowstone
  • You’re Killing Me, a supernatural comedy-drama
It isn’t clear which new Paramount movies will come to the service, or how fast, considering the ever-evolving nature of the COVID-19 pandemic. Warner Bros. has promised all of its 2021 releases for same-day streaming on HBO Max, while Disney has released some movies on Disney+ for free, others for a one-time fee. At the moment the new SpongeBob film is the only major release to hit Paramount+, after a long-delayed theatrical release in the US.

How Much Will Paramount+ Cost?
All current indications are that Paramount+ will continue the pricing model of CBS All Access, though it isn’t outright stated on the promotional page. The current U.S. price for CBS All Access is:

• $5.99 a month with commercials
  • $9.99 ad-free (live broadcasts still have advertising)
Customers can save a bit with yearly billing: $60 and $100, a savings of $12 and $20, respectively. At the moment CBS All Access is running a promotion: Pay for a year of the commercial-free service before the Paramount+ switch-over, and you get a 50% discount, which will remain active as the new service starts. You must sign up for CBS All Access before March 4th to qualify.

I would do the 50% discount, but I’m not seeing it on the plan signup information.

"To get the deal, you'll want to choose between a limited commercial plan ($59.99 per year) or one that's commercial-free ($99.99 per year), then click the box beneath the pricing that says "Save over 15% off the monthly price with an annual plan." Note that your promotional code will not work at checkout without marking this box off.

From there, new customers can use coupon code PARAMOUNTPLUS at checkout to saving 50%, whittling your annual costs down to $30 and $50, respectively. That shakes out to roughly $2.50 to $4.16 per month, which is a huge savings from the current monthly rates of $5.99 to $9.99 per month for ad-supported or ad-free viewing.
You'll start with a free seven-day trial prior to payment, giving you access to a large collection of both new and classic CBS shows, such as Criminal Minds, NCIS, The Good Fight and tons of Star Trek content."

I'm pretty sure the code "ParamountPlus" is applied automatically at the end when you click the 15% off box when you choose a plan.

Nolte: Cord-Cutting Hit Record Highs in 2020

More people cut the cable-satellite TV cord than ever before in 2020, which is pretty remarkable when you consider how the coronavirus kept everyone at home for most of the year.

During 2020, cable TV lost a net 3.1 million subscribers, the worst year ever recorded. As of now, only 66.8 million households subscribe to MVPD, a drop from 84 million in 2016.

Even that doesn’t tell the whole story. MVPD subscribers are paying around $100 a month. VMVPD subscribers are paying less than half that, which means Hollywood is making a lot less money because it’s Hollywood that makes a fortune off your cable bill, not just the cable TV provider.

Here’s how it works…

As you all know by now (I’ve been writing about this for more than a decade), cable TV is a racket, a con game, a way to convince suckers to pay for hundreds of channels they never watch. The reason your monthly cable bill is $100.00 is because you subsidize networks you never watch. If CNNLOL is a part of your cable package, even if you never watch it, CNNLOL gets a direct piece of your monthly cable bill payment. CNNLOL (and a bunch of other low-rated channels) make something like a billion — with a “B” — dollars a year from cable TV subscribers who never watch them.

How’s that for a scam?

Nolte: Cord-Cutting Hit Record Highs in 2020

I just moved and got Xfinity internet with Xfi Complete for $75 a month (400 mbps). I don’t have cable but have thought about Hulu Live or YouTube TV. Is that a good idea or should I just upgrade with Xfinity since I already have it? I already have Hulu as well.

I just moved and got Xfinity internet with Xfi Complete for $75 a month (400 mbps). I don’t have cable but have thought about Hulu Live or YouTube TV. Is that a good idea or should I just upgrade with Xfinity since I already have it? I already have Hulu as well.

I really like YouTube TV, buts it’s kind of getting pricey. Since we have the Disney Plus bundle, I went with Hulu Live here recently and it’s alright. There are some lip sync issues with live TV every once in a while but not too terrible. If you are not subscribed to the Disney Plus bundle, I would go with YouTube TV.

Reactions: headhunter15
I really like YouTube TV, buts it’s kind of getting pricey. Since we have the Disney Plus bundle, I went with Hulu Live here recently and it’s alright. There are some lip sync issues with live TV every once in a while but not too terrible. If you are not subscribed to the Disney Plus bundle, I would go with YouTube TV.

I've had that issue as well watching regular Hulu.

There are some lip sync issues with live TV every once in a while but not too terrible. If you are not subscribed to the Disney Plus bundle, I would go with YouTube TV.
I occasionally get that with my firestick. Restarting the firestick always solves that.

I occasionally get that with my firestick. Restarting the firestick always solves that.

Same Roku, but never had the issue on YouTube TV. Only experienced it with Hulu Live and HBO. Really bad in HBO. Had to change the settings on the tv to make the movie watchable. Nothing else worked.

Honestly, most of the "cable TV" replacements are so expensive now that they're not really price improvements from their cable counterparts. The main benefit they offer is freedom of cancellation at this point.

Honestly, most of the "cable TV" replacements are so expensive now that they're not really price improvements from their cable counterparts. The main benefit they offer is freedom of cancellation at this point.

I agree but YoutubeTV also offers unlimited DVR storage. And these services are portable. Watch your tv anywhere, easily.

I agree but YoutubeTV also offers unlimited DVR storage. And these services are portable. Watch your tv anywhere, easily.

not only watch anywhere but you can put your TV anywhere in a room (or outside) without worrying about a cable outlet. that's a huge benefit for me; particular for putting a TV outside on the patio.

Reactions: DrRosenRosen
It'll still be a few months before we know what all this means for both HBO Max and Discovery+.

Honestly, most of the "cable TV" replacements are so expensive now that they're not really price improvements from their cable counterparts
I have almost every service along with YTTV and am paying basically the same as what I was paying with cable. But the amount of content available is insane. I think that's the main advantage. Especially with Disney+ and HBO Max. I can watch a ridiculous amount of movies in 4k any time.

I have almost every service along with YTTV and am paying basically the same as what I was paying with cable. But the amount of content available is insane. I think that's the main advantage. Especially with Disney+ and HBO Max. I can watch a ridiculous amount of movies in 4k any time.
Maybe it's just my situation then. I was paying about $120 for cable only and internet thru Comcast. With YTTV costing $65 now, and my cost of internet being around $60 because I'm not bundling it, it's a wash. For me, it was only affordable when it was $40. The difference between us is maybe you had a higher package than me before you switched? I agree the amount of content in streaming services is really good, comparable to a high price comcast package. For people like me who don't want the whole chalupa, there isn't really a good option (Sling isn't really affordable anymore either).

What this all really hinges on is ESPN. So long as that isn't available on a "slim" streaming package, for me, there is no real cost difference between Comcast bundled and internet service X plus streaming service Y. Only in headache!

Reactions: 1 in 102 455
Yeah I switch because it was more affordable, but now I’ve just dropped YouTube TV altogether. I stream with Netflix and Disney Plus Bundle. Come football season though, I’ll probably have to pick it back up and drop something else.

VN Store

Back