The Tuesday night "Fire Currie" Thread [merged]

I would love to see Phil and Johnny call a truce with one another and come together in a public forum. See them call on all of Volnation to demand change from the establishment. I realize this is a pipe dream, but dang, can you imagine the posive energy that would rip through Volnation? $hit, these two along with Blackburn and A little help from Charles Ergen and other superboosters might even be able to talk Gruden into rescuing our University 😜.

I'll give you Currie should've never been hired. Blackburn should've.

But you fools trust Fulmer can hire a respectable head coach when he couldn't hire any respectable assistants to save his own ass?

He hired John Chavis who had a multitude of top 5 defenses at multiole different schoools. He hired David Cutcliffe. He mentored John Gruden. He hired Lovie Smith, who went on to have a run as an NFL coach that included a Super Bowl appearance. Doug Marrone coached under him, who is now head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Reactions: 1 person
There are others working to overthrow Haslams poisonous grip on UT athletics. They are the majority of boosters, including big names like Charlie Ergen (Dish Network) There is a team of Pro’s who are ready to take the reins and catch us a BIG name coach. The only thing stopping us from saving UT is @UTPresidentJoe and @ChancellorDav bizarre loyalty to Haslam. #SaveUT
-MIT Beaver

I agree that the Haslams have too much say in UT Football operations and Currie appears to be doing their bidding. It’s obvious the Haslams are not only terrible NFL owners but they are ruining Tennessee Football by pushing their coaches and agendas. Some people even suspect Peyton Manning is intertwined with the Haslams now because of the rumors he also signed off on the Schiano hire.

If you really want more support from the fan base, someone needs to explain exactly what is going on behind the scenes because a lot of these posts are coming from the same people saying Gruden was a done deal and so on. There could have been something going on with Gruden but most of the fan base think the Grudenites created a false narrative that is utterly ridiculous.

For example, how is it possible to have an MOU with Gruden signed if Currie and Haslam had already decided on Schiano? Who actually met with Gruden?

If this group of Boosters want to take over, maybe they should let the fan base know their plan and what they can deliver. Maybe that would garner more support.

It is nightmarish to think that Tennessee fans want to disassociate Tennessee's largest donor from the university.

The Haslams have donated millions upon millions of dollars to the University of Tennessee.

Good luck with that strategy.
Right, because no one else in the State of Tennessee has any of this stuff called money

Reactions: 2 people
I agree. They offered Gundy a 2.8 mil, 66% raise from current salary.

The easy thing to do right now is for the ATD to simply hire someone for the sake of pleasing the media and fanbase. They deserve all the hell they are going to receive until they hire someone, but they need to stay strong and offer big. Someone is going to want a big raise and I am sure our offer of 7mil a year is going to raise some eyebrows that we mean business.

7 million just raised my eyebrow. Its a small increase in pay but Ill take it. I can start tonight.I just have to sneak away from my other job. On my way..GO VOLS

Because Haslam put Currie there, and Blackburn and Fulmer wont do as Haslam wants, therefor Currie will stay right where Haslam put him.. Pride sux

After today's $$$ thrown around there will be plenty new folks more interested. I do kinda like the Kevin Steel idea of VFL with some VFL staffers.

A true VFL isn't gonna come to save the day as long as Currie is AD. This is war against Haslam because he's the root of the problem. Haslam doesn't want an AD who will stand up against him as Blackburn would and as soon as Blackburn is made the AD our chances of getting a good coach will vastly improve. Meanwhile fiqure out why Currie got rid of Fred Martin at Kansas St in basketball and Martin immediately took S.Carolina to the final 4.

I'll give you Currie should've never been hired. Blackburn should've.

But you fools trust Fulmer can hire a respectable head coach when he couldn't hire any respectable assistants to save his own ass?

Honestly man. Voice your opinion. But no need to call folks fools for voicing theirs. Especially one that arguably is much better than the alternative (i.e., Hamilton, Hart, Currie). Yea, those haven't worked out so well for us have they? And for the record, Phil would be getting plenty of advice from others, including Blackburn, PM, and other VFLs. Phil would be the face and pointman. He is respected by all college football and coaches. Coaches would at least listen to him and hear his "pitch". Drop the mic.

Last edited:
It is nightmarish to think that Tennessee fans want to disassociate Tennessee's largest donor from the university.

The Haslams have donated millions upon millions of dollars to the University of Tennessee.

Good luck with that strategy.

He can do anything he wants at UT except interfering with football operations. Jim isn't football savvy and his Browns are evidence of that. He's a control freak and there's no justifiable reason for that. Reminds me of a spoiled brat child that insist on getting their way. Just ask yourself why Currie tried to keep the Schiano hire a secret up until the actual hire and now every interview is being made public. There aren't too many Vol fans that don't know the truth. Haslam wanted a coach he could control in order to get even with the growing number of boosters who are tired of his scheming ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tall Gguy View Post
Wasting your breath. We have too many coach worshippers and apologists. They will defend any coach who is hired to the death no matter what. I honestly don't know our program can survive another Dooley or Butch hire...much less another rebuild. Need a REAL coach who can coach up our current talent and compete in 2018.

News flash: what little talent is at UT won't have a chance in H3LL in 2018, it will be yet another last place finish in the SEC......wake up or better yet re watch:) the Vandy game:)

Any activity outside Currie's office tonight? I'm fading....Really don't want to hit the pillow knowing this guy is still employed by our University. Nightmares continue to get worse... need a good night's sleep.

100%! Like, right now. Not tomorrow morning. We are in a crisis situation. We need Daddy Phil to get us out of this mess. No more screwing around UT!

Fire Currie, and tell Phil to find us a coach.

Protesting isn't going to help. The fans have caused enough problems. Protesting is only going to make the job less desirable. The fans need to sit down and shut up. Gundy just turned down double what he was making, what does that tell you about what he thinks about Tennessee and it's "passionate" fan base. The delusional fans make it hard for us realistic fans.

How real is 4-8 with 0 SEC wins, many more seasons like that and they might as well drop the football program

It's crazy that he's still the AD.

His azz should've been fired yesterday morning and the powers that be should have been working a deal with Blackburn shortly there after.

Nope. There were three. Currie is obviously a total failure. Blackburn seems to be off somewhere in meltdown. Fulmer is the only one standing.

Protesting isn't going to help. The fans have caused enough problems. Protesting is only going to make the job less desirable. The fans need to sit down and shut up. Gundy just turned down double what he was making, what does that tell you about what he thinks about Tennessee and it's "passionate" fan base. The delusional fans make it hard for us realistic fans.

Wrong. We are at a point of no return buddy. Stopping at this point would be a huge mistake. Currie cannot be allowed to make a hire. No coach wants to coach under him. No coach wants to deal with Haslam. If Currie is removed and we get Phil in as IAD. He calls for a press conference and settle Volnation down. Let's everyone know that we are in good hands now. That, in itself, would be instant great PR. Let Phil reach out to folks and negotiate with PM as his right hand man. Their sales pitch from Phil is simple and would sound something like this:

"Some things had to happen internally coach, and it got ugly before it could get better. But we have ridded ourselves of the cancer (Currie and Haslam). We are bringing O&W blood back into our program. Ergen and several other superboosters have plenty of money and won't be harassing you. You will be surrounded by VFLs including me and Peyton. You will have a new $350 million dollar renovated stadium soon and already have one of the best practice facilities in the country. Oh and we do have a very talented group of players. Butch at least did a pretty good job of recruiting. These boys just need to be coached up. I know you are the right guy at the right time to do this. We are prepared to make you the highest paid coach in college football today. There is no where to go but up right now for this program. So what do you say coach? You ready to be the guy to put Tennessee back on top again?"

Now let this set in Volnation. Currie cannot deliver this speech and expect one coach to believe it would have ANY merit to it. Phil and Peyton together can. I'm telling you, this will work. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand this. We all know deep down this is the right move.

So yea, All Day Vol, we do need to continue to protest until we take our University back. And I could give two rat ****s what fans outside UT think about us right now. Because once our new coach starts winning again, all the negative publicity will begin to fade away. Winning cures all. We keep the Cancer, Currie, we will continue to lose for a very long time.

Last edited:
I graduated from U.T. over 45 years ago, and I am embarrassed by the mob rule that has taken place. People need to sit back , and let the people in charge do the job they were hired to do. The inmates are running the asylum, and it's a bad look.

I wonder how they would like it if someone was looking over their shoulder, threatening them, criticizing them, and telling them how to do their job. That is, if they have a job.

Powerful boosters nixed the deal, not fans. If you don't see or understand that the powers that be are the issue then you need to wake-up. We need to get out of their way? What the heck do you think has been going on? So 1 day of an uprising has caused all of their bad decisions the past 10yrs?

Your post helps clarify why power has to be handed off. You're an old man that doesn't understand what is going on around you. It's ok though, younger fans will pick-up your slack and work to fix this program that the current leadership is destroying with its terrible decisions and leadership that you seemingly approve. I guess you like participation trophies

I'm an embarrassment? No your an embarrassment. I bet you never graduated from UT. What the fans did Sunday was stupid, it hurt UT's image. I've been recruited by schools who have explained to me that the stupidity of some students and fans does not represent their school.

The fans only did the due diligence, and vetting, that Currie failed to do; leading to the rejection of a supremely unqualified candidate.

If that's stupid, I will wear that label all day long, and twice on Sunday.

VN Store

Back