The Tennessee Walking Horse

Oh, I wasn't implying that you did. All your posts on the subject clearly show that you care about them.

Horse owners spend loads of money in care and upkeep. To some, that is a business, and to others, it is love for the animal.

I would consider you to be the latter, based off comments thus far.

For the business end, though. Well, I guess that is debatable, as a business is there to make money.

Just because its a business it does not mean the owner does not care for the horse beyond monetary reasons.

Nope, but it doesn't mean they are doing it solely for the love of the horse, either.

I never ruled that out. Just saying you cannot argue that they do not care about the horse beyond the financial aspect because its a business. There are plenty of cases where people have an animal solely as a pet but still abuse it. The people that mistreat animals like that are just messed up, regardless if they own them for monetary reasons or recreational reasons.

I never ruled that out. Just saying you cannot argue that they do not care about the horse beyond the financial aspect because its a business.

Sure I can, because for some, it is a business and only a business. I wasn't arguing that it is that way for everyone.

We are arguing in generalities, which is rather pointless. It is also why I used that highly definitive word "debatable," in my post.

Mr Hands probably was.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

25321856_10291ad77b.jpg

Wow, who knew this topic would spurn such controversy! LOL!!

In regards to the argument that it tears up the field, couldn't they take the horse on a different path around the field, so as not to damage main playing parts of the field (I.E. between the sidelines and endzone to endzone)?

IP, read my post again.

I said the overall gist of what you posted was blatantly false.

Your first post, as someone else has already pointed out, makes it appear that all (or the great majority) Walking horses and their trainers are abused/abusive.

As a matter of fact I too know a few things about the sport, and not from just reading about it but from being there, caring for the horses and seeing what actually goes on.

By far the great majority of the horses are NOT abused. Is that clear enough for you?

Oh, by the way some of that was in the stables where one of the former World Champs was born and raised. No abuse there either. The barn still his his picture painted on it and it's been 20-30 years since he won the World. No they didn't care about that horse at all.

PETA has an agenda, that is to outlaw all pet ownership, horseback riding etc. They have deep pockets and they frame the issue by making up false claims and exaggerating the actual problems that DO exist (I'm not stupid, I have also seen people cheating to win too, but that happens in every sport, including our beloved college football).

Cruel forms of soring have been outlawed for competition for well over 20 years that I personally know of, maybe even longer. It was more difficult in the past to catch them though, and some of the competitors knew that too.

Last edited:
IP, read my post again.

I said the overall gist of what you posted was blatantly false.

Your first post, as someone else has already pointed out, makes it appear that all (or the great majority) Walking horses and their trainers are abused/abusive.

As a matter of fact I too know a few things about the sport, and not from just reading about it but from being there, caring for the horses and seeing what actually goes on.

By far the great majority of the horses are NOT abused. Is that clear enough for you?

Oh, by the way some of that was in the stables where one of the former World Champs was born and raised. No abuse there either. The barn still his his picture painted on it and it's been 20-30 years since he won the World. No they didn't care about that horse at all.

PETA has an agenda, that is to outlaw all pet ownership, horseback riding etc. They have deep pockets and they frame the issue by making up false claims and exaggerating the actual problems that DO exist (I'm not stupid, I have also seen people cheating to win too, but that happens in every sport, including our beloved college football).

Cruel forms of soring have been outlawed for competition for well over 20 years that I personally know of, maybe even longer.

I've already made my stance clear. Anyone who wants to research it themselves can draw their own conclusions.

It does. But the type we use now has an exaggerated gait brought on by causing sharp pain through various methods when it plants it's front feet, modifying it to always walk that way.

The historical Tennessee Walking horse's gait was much lower, and can be seen as such in black and white clips from the 1930's and such.

There's a reason why the FBI has shut down several of the recent Tennessee Walking Horse judging events in recent years: rampant widespread animal torture.

Google it.

Wrong!!! Many more rules in place now,the 1930's really,lol!!! Up until the early 80's trainers were free to use whatever method necessary. You may be thinking of Racking horses,lower gait. Soring is nearly non-existant,it was the 30's thru 80's that soring was used!

Wrong!!! Many more rules in place now,the 1930's really,lol!!! Up until the early 80's trainers were free to use whatever method necessary. You may be thinking of Racking horses,lower gait. Soring is nearly non-existant,it was the 30's thru 80's that soring was used!

Facts don't matter to this guy. His PETA supplied information says so.

IP if your research suggests that abuse is accepted or commonplace then your "research" is wrong, period.

Facts don't matter to this guy. His PETA supplied information says so.

IP if your research suggests that abuse is accepted or commonplace then your "research" is wrong, period.

He is in Colorado eatin mushrooms,I'm 30 miles from Shelbyville and most of the people I know work in that industry!!! I love all animals,but PETA is full of nuts!!

GO VOLS!!!!! Bring back the Champs,they quit when they went to turf,with grass now,no reason not to have them!! It's Tennessee History!!

I personally know a walking horse trainer.

I've never seen him do any of the bad techniques mentioned here.

Also, my family owns one at our farm that has been retired from competition, and she has none of these issues. I think some people are a little overly sensitive because of something they've seen on the news.

Reactions: gmaynard
Only if we quit using Big Lick horses that have been "trained" via acid burns and other torturous methods.

I myself have trained horses for most of my life. Spotted saddle and some Walking Horse. Don't put down something that is so awesome to watch just because you think you know so much about it because you read it in the paper. I have never sored a horse and never will. Most of the trainers that train do not either. Just because some do don't put the sport down and everyone involved. In that case, football is ridiculous, players put unnatural things in their bodies to perform better on the field. You need to put football down also. I can't stand it when someone does this. Its the added weight that makes them walk like that.

People like you are the same ones who watch the news and beleive Obama is our saviour because the news said so. Research the facts or maybe talk to someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Boy you stirred up a stink here, makes me mad too.

That's just ridiculous.

People like you are the same ones who watch the news and beleive Obama is our saviour because the news said so. Research the facts or maybe talk to someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Boy you stirred up a stink here, makes me mad too.

You don't know me very well.

He is in Colorado eatin mushrooms,I'm 30 miles from Shelbyville and most of the people I know work in that industry!!! I love all animals,but PETA is full of nuts!!

GO VOLS!!!!! Bring back the Champs,they quit when they went to turf,with grass now,no reason not to have them!! It's Tennessee History!!

Explain to me your version of events in 2006.

VN Store

Back