The Tennessee Walking Horse

Only if we quit using Big Lick horses that have been "trained" via acid burns and other torturous methods.

I don't know how they're trained. All I know is it looks cool. Southern Cal has the Trojan on horseback, Florida State has the Seminole that rides in on a horse. I just thought the Tennessee walking horse added a little something extra special to the pre-game.

It does. But the type we use now has an exaggerated gait brought on by causing sharp pain through various methods when it plants it's front feet, modifying it to always walk that way.

The historical Tennessee Walking horse's gait was much lower, and can be seen as such in black and white clips from the 1930's and such.

There's a reason why the FBI has shut down several of the recent Tennessee Walking Horse judging events in recent years: rampant widespread animal torture.

Google it.

It does. But the type we use now has an exaggerated gait brought on by causing sharp pain through various methods when it plants it's front feet, modifying it to always walk that way.

The historical Tennessee Walking horse's gait was much lower, and can be seen as such in black and white clips from the 1930's and such.

There's a reason why the FBI has shut down several of the recent Tennessee Walking Horse judging events in recent years: rampant widespread animal torture.

Google it.

This is just false, at least the way it is presented.

It is true that SOME people use less desirable methods to get that step.

It's also true that most do not use those methods. They use padding and many hours of training to get the gait the way they want it.

There is a difference in abuse and training/torture but the gist of your post is that all walking horses are tortured/abused to get a nice gait. That's just not true.

I think the reason we don't use it more often is two-fold:

1) It is a pain in the Urban Meyer to get the horse in and out.

2) I am pretty sure the other reason has something to do with the damage to the field. (or could be cleanup is a b*tch)

This is how I understood it also..

Google it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

This

Google it.

For those that don't understand the difference, the exaggerated gait required (and becoming undesirable, as it turns out, in competition) to win a walking horse competition is a diagonal gait, more so than a horizontal gait, which is more natural and very trainable.

Also the walking horse competition, as mentioned above, has gone to lengths to try and prevent the cruel techniques from being used in competition against walking horses, and any horses found with burn marks or nerve sensativity are automatically disqualified (this illegal technique is called soring). Despite this competitors still are able to cheat to win (as with any competition). To combat this the entire way the sport is being judged is changing now.

Realistically UT probably needs to make sure they don't use horses that have had soring used on them to win, or use owners that have been suspended due to previous soring use (like the owners of 2009 world champion horse that have been suspended mulitple times for soring whose horse was used at the 2009 Memphis homecoming).

2) I am pretty sure the other reason has something to do with the damage to the field. (or could be cleanup is a b*tch)

I would gladly clean up horse Urban Meyer to get sideline at a UT game. I think the main reason is the damage to the field and the feeling that these horses are mistreated in order to achieve that gait. Whether it's true or not, it's all about perception.

I have nothing to do with PETA. I just think putting acid on a horse's legs to make it walk "pretty" is not something we as a school should associate with.

Don't you think that UT would make sure that the horse they bring in is not trained in that method. Don't damn the entire sport/event because thetre are a few idiots.
You are ignorant about this subject if you only read the negative.

Reactions: Ovol and Alto1
This is just false, at least the way it is presented.

It is true that SOME people use less desirable methods to get that step.

It's also true that most do not use those methods. They use padding and many hours of training to get the gait the way they want it.

There is a difference in abuse and training/torture but the gist of your post is that all walking horses are tortured/abused to get a nice gait. That's just not true.

No it isn't. Anyone can feel free to do their own research and see that it isn't false.

By SOME people, you mean it's an epidemic throughout the TN Walking Horse community, to the point that competitions had to be totally shut down because virtually all entries were disqualified. The official associations have also sealed some of their records to keep from revealing how widespread it has been over the last 50 years.

Right, padding is the classic method. Nowadays, many "augment" the padding by putting sulphuric or hydrochloric acid in the pads, or just small sharp objects. Hence the "soring."

Many that have the wide and high gait that has become so iconic ARE tortured to achieve that. The original gate is much more natural and diagonal, but still achieving the original effect-- which wasn't intended just for visuals like now, but rather how the ride felt on saddle back.

You telling me what said is false is an outright lie. Anybody can look this stuff up. The TN Walking Horse community has had a problem for some time, and many are in denial about it.

I have nothing to do with PETA. I just think putting acid on a horse's legs to make it walk "pretty" is not something we as a school should associate with.

Agree here. A quick glance at the wiki page shows that half of the article is dedicated to the process of soring. Not a world class source, but shows that there is a good deal of evidence out there to support IP.

Last edited:
Don't you think that UT would make sure that the horse they bring in is not trained in that method. Don't damn the entire sport/event because thetre are a few idiots.
You are ignorant about this subject if you only read the negative.

They didn't make sure in 2009. Unfortunately, some of the guilty parties are also donors and alumni to the university, and have been providing the horses for homecoming for some time.

Sounds like you're the one who is ignorant on the subject, doesn't it?

Reactions: Lucy
No it isn't. Anyone can feel free to do their own research and see that it isn't false.

By SOME people, you mean it's an epidemic throughout the TN Walking Horse community, to the point that competitions had to be totally shut down because virtually all entries were disqualified. The official associations have also sealed some of their records to keep from revealing how widespread it has been over the last 50 years.

Right, padding is the classic method. Nowadays, many "augment" the padding by putting sulphuric or hydrochloric acid in the pads, or just small sharp objects. Hence the "soring."

Many that have the wide and high gait that has become so iconic ARE tortured to achieve that. The original gate is much more natural and diagonal, but still achieving the original effect-- which wasn't intended just for visuals like now, but rather how the ride felt on saddle back.

You telling me what said is false is an outright lie. Anybody can look this stuff up. The TN Walking Horse community has had a problem for some time, and many are in denial about it.

Ever see a walking horse trained?

Soring is an abusive practice that is associated in part with the production of a "big lick" Walker. It involves using chemical agents such as mustard oil, diesel fuel, kerosene, salicylic acid, and others, on the pasterns, bulbs of heel, or coronary band of the horses, burning or blistering the horse's legs so that it will accentuate its gait.

They didn't make sure in 2009. Unfortunately, some of the guilty parties are also donors and alumni to the university, and have been providing the horses for homecoming for some time.

Sounds like you're the one who is ignorant on the subject, doesn't it?

I have worked many a celebration in the stables as I was growing up. My best friend's dad showed there. I have seen it all in that industry, have you or do you just read the negative?
You may not pay dues to PETA but this is their shat you are spouting.

Back in the 70's when I was in school, there was a different Tennessee walking horse that circled the field before each game. If I remember correctly, this tradition was stopped because there were several instances of the horses almost slipping on the field due to rain or traction. Since the horses are so very expensive, it was not thought to be worth the risk. So now it is done only at homecoming and when the weather is good.

Reactions: Buzzbait

Google it.

It's horrible the way you train these horses to walk. Almost break their neck
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: Rocky Top Raby

Having been on the field when the walking horse passed by, I can attest that they do damage the field. Between the actual weight of the horse and their gait, it puts a deep rut into the grass surface.

I do want to be clear that I am not saying every Tennessee Walking Horse is abused. I'm saying the ones that are kicking their feet up as high as their shoulder are almost certainly abused, i.e. the Big Lick horses.

Reactions: Rocky Top Raby

VN Store

Back