The Recipe Thread!

MAD

Arsenal FC, Detroit Lions
..............................................OK Volnation.............................................
Post up your favorite recipe here and give us all a taste of where you come from..

Don't be shy and don't leave out any details..
From all day meals to 1/2 hr dinners we want them all!

george-dickel-13-year-bottled-in-bond-straight-tennessee-whisky_main-1_300x.jpg

10 parts Dickel
1 part ice.
Stir
Drink.

:p

Got some family members bout to be pissed at me but here it goes:

REAL BUFFALO WINGS (Made the Buffalo, NY way)

Ingredients:
1. Whole chicken wings (u want to split them yourself with a chopping knife. They'll taste better than already pieced out/store bought)
2. Unsalted butter 1/2 a stick
3. Frank's Red Hot - 3 cups. (has to be franks - dudes family invented the buffalo wings we all love)
4. Honey - half cup
5. Flour - 3 to 4 cups
6. Spices - salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, Lawrys (these spices are you're own prerogative and you can improvise. You will add these to the flour to create a breading)
7. Cooking oil

Process:
After you've split your chicken wings, you will want to bread them. Do NOT use egg. This is NOT the New York way ... it is the Hooters (Florida) way. Needs to be a light breading so they can fry up nice and crispy not some oil soaked, caked on mess.
Add your spices to a ziplock bag with flour in it. Shake it up. Then shake your wings in the flour bag. Set aside wings while oil is heating. Deep fryers are great but not necessary to pull these off. If you dont have a deep fryer, get a deep pot and fill it with oil. I recommend using either corn oil or peanut oil.

While the oil is heating, it's time to start preparing the sauce. In a microwavable bowl (not plastic) melt the butter and honey together. Once smooth, add the Frank's hot sauce and stir well. - Done

Once the oil is crackling hot, you are ready to begin frying the wings. Buffalo Wings should be very crispy so make sure to fry them for a good 12
Minutes (stovetop) or around 8-9 minutes in a deep fryer.

Remove from oil. Immediately begin dipping each wing into the bowl of prepared sauce. Tongs work well for this as they are extremely hot.

You have now made Real Buffalo style chicken wings. Give yourself a pat on the back.

One last tip if I may,
In Buffalo, they serve their wings with Blue cheese. I know Ranch is the popular choice down here but If u have never tried it, go for it. It's the best way😉
Serve with carrot and/or celery sticks.

Go Vols!
Enjoy!🍗🍗🍗

Got some family members bout to be pissed at me but here it goes:

REAL BUFFALO WINGS (Made the Buffalo, NY way)

Ingredients:
1. Whole chicken wings (u want to split them yourself with a chopping knife. They'll taste better than already pieced out/store bought)
2. Unsalted butter 1/2 a stick
3. Frank's Red Hot - 3 cups. (has to be franks - dudes family invented the buffalo wings we all love)
4. Honey - half cup
5. Flour - 3 to 4 cups
6. Spices - salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, Lawrys (these spices are you're own prerogative and you can improvise. You will add these to the flour to create a breading)
7. Cooking oil

Process:
After you've split your chicken wings, you will want to bread them. Do NOT use egg. This is NOT the New York way ... it is the Hooters (Florida) way. Needs to be a light breading so they can fry up nice and crispy not some oil soaked, caked on mess.
Add your spices to a ziplock bag with flour in it. Shake it up. Then shake your wings in the flour bag. Set aside wings while oil is heating. Deep fryers are great but not necessary to pull these off. If you dont have a deep fryer, get a deep pot and fill it with oil. I recommend using either corn oil or peanut oil.

While the oil is heating, it's time to start preparing the sauce. In a microwavable bowl (not plastic) melt the butter and honey together. Once smooth, add the Frank's hot sauce and stir well. - Done

Once the oil is crackling hot, you are ready to begin frying the wings. Buffalo Wings should be very crispy so make sure to fry them for a good 12
Minutes (stovetop) or around 8-9 minutes in a deep fryer.

Remove from oil. Immediately begin dipping each wing into the bowl of prepared sauce. Tongs work well for this as they are extremely hot.

You have now made Real Buffalo style chicken wings. Give yourself a pat on the back.

One last tip if I may,
In Buffalo, they serve their wings with Blue cheese. I know Ranch is the popular choice down here but If u have never tried it, go for it. It's the best way😉
Serve with carrot and/or celery sticks.

Go Vols!
Enjoy!🍗🍗🍗
I'll have to try adding honey next time. Personally I use half flour and half cornstarch for the breading to lighten it up even more

Yeah cornstarch is great to add. And the honey makes all the difference in the world. Really makes "the heat" stick to the wing

Reactions: SpecialKVolfan20
Dip your chicken in buttermilk, not egg. Better yet, let it soak in buttermilk for about 15 minutes before you coat it with your flour mixture. Also, toss in some white pepper.

You don't towel dry the wings before adding sauce? I have not tried adding honey to my wing sauce, but I will. My wing sauce is the same other than that. Frank's and butter baby.

Reactions: OG.V83
Dip your chicken in buttermilk, not egg. Better yet, let it soak in buttermilk for about 15 minutes before you coat it with your flour mixture. Also, toss in some white pepper.

You don't towel dry the wings before adding sauce? I have not tried adding honey to my wing sauce, but I will. My wing sauce is the same other than that. Frank's and butter baby.

Buttermilk is great for plain old fried chicken but contrasts with the sweet heat we are going for with these wings. Buttermilk will also make the breading more heavy and they need to be light and crispy. White pepper is a great idea and I actually use it in my own but didn't list all my spices as some things are to be sold and not to be told 😉
And yes towel dry em .. this will make the sauce and "heat" stick to the wing better. All great points you brought up. Definitely add the honey to your recipe... it makes all the difference in the world. I have won contests for the basic recipe I gave yall so I know you guys won't be disappointed. Wings are sort of a big deal in my family. Looking forward to hearing some of yalls recipes!

This recipe is always a big hit. I lived with some people in North Carolina about 10 years ago and they would ask me to make this at least every other week.

Beef & Bean Mexican Lasagna

It's layered like lasagna, but has all the flavors of a beef and bean burrito!

Ingredients:

1 pound ground sirloin or super-lean ground beef (around 6%-8% fat)
1 cup chopped sweet or mild onion
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 packet/envelope taco seasoning
10 flour tortillas cut in half
14-ounce can enchilada sauce
15-ounce can fat-free or vegetarian refried beans
12-ounce jar mild salsa (whatever flavor you desire)
2 1/2 cups shredded, reduced-fat Jack cheese (or a combination of reduced-fat Jack and reduced-fat cheddar)
Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown ground beef and onion in a large, nonstick skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat, breaking the beef into small pieces as it cooks using a potato masher. Stir in the garlic powder, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and taco seasoning.
2. Spread 1 cup of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan. Top with about a third of the flour tortillas. Add refried beans and 1/8 cup of the enchilada sauce to a medium, microwave-safe bowl and warm in microwave over HIGH heat to soften beans (30-60 seconds). Spread beans over the layer of tortillas in pan. Add half of the beef mixture, then half of the salsa, and a cup of the grated cheese.
3. Repeat the layers again, starting with another third of the tortillas, the rest of the beef, the rest of the salsa, and a cup of the grated cheese. Top with the remaining tortillas and spread the remaining enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top.
4. Bake, uncovered, for 35-45 minutes or until heated throughout and cheese is bubbly.

Yield:
10 servings

Shrimp & Andouille Sausage Gumbo

4 lbs fresh medium shrimp, heads on
1 lb smoked andouille sausage
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped bell peppers
1 cup chopped shallots
1 cup chopped sweet onion
2 cups chopped Italian tomatoes
4 large cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 tablespoon file powder
1 tablespoon Greek oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup oil with high smoke point
1 cup flour
*chicken stock
*cornstarch
edit: I add 2 jiggers of Armanac or dry sherry to mine at the point I add the shrimp; this is optional.

Make Shrimp Stock Peel the shrimp, placing the heads & shells in a large stock pot. Add water to cover the heads & shells, ~1 gallon. Bring to rapid boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low boil for ~1 to 1&1/2 hours. Remove heads & shells and strain fluid into large container. The stock should have a pink-orange hue and smell fresh, not scorched. If there is less than 1 gallon, add chicken stock to bring to 1 gallon. Set aside.

While the stock is boiling
Devein shrimp and set aside.
Chop celery, onions, shallots, peppers, and tomatoes.
Mince garlic.
Slice smoked andouille sausage into thin rounds.

Making the gumbo
Add 1/2 a cup of oil to a large heavy stock pot over medium high heat. Add chopped onions, shallots, peppers & celery. Stirring frequently, cook until ~soft. Remove with slotted spoon, allowing oil to drain. Set aside.

Add the other 1/2 cup of oil to pot. A few bits of veggies may remain. Allow these to caramelize. Do not burn them. Stirring constantly, slowly add flour to oil, blending - no blobs, lumps, or burnt flour. Making roux is art, not science. Cook to almond skin brown. Reduce heat to medium. Add minced garlic. Never stop stirring.

~2 to 3 minutes later, begin adding stock to the pot, allowing the roux to react and blend. Steadily add the stock, stirring constantly. Reserve 3/4 cup stock. If the consistency of the gumbo is too thin, add cornstarch to the reserved stock to make a slurry. Slowly add this to the gumbo, stirring constantly until the consistency is right. Discard any remaining slurry.

Return the onions, shallots, peppers, and celery to the gumbo. Add the herb and seasonings. Add the sausage. Stir to blend. Simmer the gumbo for 20 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste, adjust seasoning to your liking.

Add shrimp and tomatoes, continue to simmer until shrimp are done, ~10 minutes. Add file powder and blend in just before serving.

Note: I like to serve gumbo over rice. If you do too, make your long grain rice 20 - 30 minutes out, so that it's ready by the time you add the file powder.

The above makes ~16 servings of gumbo at ~1 cup each.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have the gall to post a gumbo recipe. Pray for me, if you are so inclined.

Reactions: OG.V83
"Mediterranean Cornbread"

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour (note: I use White Lilly winter wheat flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
"fat pinch of salt"
1&1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and allowed to cool a bit (still liquid but not hot)
2 medium eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup chopped fire-roasted sweet red peppers (peeled, deseeded and deveined) - these are optional.
1/3 cup sesame seeds

You'll note the ingredients are listed such that the first nine make for a fine cornbread, and the final four give it that "Mediterranean" kick.
**Ingredients should all be at room temperature. It is important to allow your eggs and buttermilk to come to room temperature, so measure beforehand and set out. Don't ask why. I suck at baking, but this is important.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees f
Grease your cast iron skillet or dutch oven (w/o lid)
Blend the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Beat the eggs and blend in the wet ingredients in a separate bowl
> Do the following without pause or delay in the process
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and blend into a batter; DON'T OVER MIX.
Add cheeses and chopped peppers and stir a few times to mix into batter. DO NOT ALLOW THE MIX TO RISE AND FALL.
Pour the mixture into the greased pan, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and place immediately into the preheated oven.
Bake for ~20 minutes; it should be golden brown on top, and a toothpick poked into the center should come out clean.
When done, remove from pan, allow to cool slightly; best when served warm.

As I stated above, I suck at baking, but, dangnabbit, everybody's gotta be able to make a good cornbread. My folks like this "Mediterranean" twist.

Yeah, I have the gall to post a gumbo recipe. Pray for me, if you are so inclined.
Question: ok to use a little cornstarch and cold water in lieu of file powder? I couldn't find any last time I made gumbo

Question: ok to use a little cornstarch and cold water in lieu of file powder? I couldn't find any last time I made gumbo

I do not use file as a thickening agent. I use it to brighten the flavor. Fresh file adds umami to gumbo. I am of the persuasion that file should be added just prior to serving.

As I mentioned in my recipe, if, after the stock is blended into the roux, the gumbo is "thin," you may thicken it with a cornstarch slurry.

There is a big recipe thread in the Endzone but it's questionable as to how many of those posts are actually about food. There is also one in the Football forum about game day recipes.

Reactions: joevol33 and MAD

VN Store

Back