The Recipe Thread!

Alton Brown is my kinda weird. His picture appears beside any definition of "food nerd."

Funny thing is his recipes are some of the best on the network. Rachel Ray has a killer homemade meatball that is simple and only uses ground meat for simplicity. But, the home made sauce to go with it was nasty bland. Had to kick that one up like a stubborn mule.

Now for one I made up on the fly. I like to cook. Sometimes I do better just rummaging than using a recipe book. Was visiting my parents. My sister was in and likes me to cook, and they asked me what I was going to cook. So I said what do you have. chicken tenders was the only meat they had frozen that could prep quickly, so I chose that. The way this dish ended up, you could sub in lamb stew meat and add cooking time to get tender. Or pre-simmer lamb till tender then prepare dish. As for the spices, I just opened up all she had and started sniffing and grouped the ones that smelled like they'd pair well for what was going through my head to cook. And to the best of my memory I have it pretty accurate, maybe. Don't know what to call it other than some sort of Asian/Indian stew stuff. So....

1 lb (or so) chicken tenders cross cut to thin slices.

Spice mix:
1/2 tsp salt (to taste as cooks down if needed)
1/2 tsp pepper (to taste as cooks down if needed)
1-2 tsp yellow curry (I like the heavy side, and the curry needs to be the primary flavor)
1/8 tsp ground clove
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground thyme
1/8 tsp ground coriander
1/8 tsp oregano (ground if can)
1/8 tsp tumeric
1/8 tsp paprika
(can add extra pepper or cayenne if you want it kicked up, but I never did. can also taste and adjust mix to your taste. It's not an exact measured production. It's a recall thing.)

Veggies:
One onion medium sized quartering
One bell pepper same (maybe 1/2 chunks on both)
One carrot sliced

Fruit:
One mango cut up
1/2C chopped dates (or chop your own pitted dates even better)
1/2C or so pineapple chunks (fresh cut)
[Or just make pineapple and dates equal cut up mango]

In large skillet, sautee chicken and spice mix with couple shots olive oil. Give it 10 minutes or so on low after browning chicken. cook down spices as much as possible. The less grainy the better. Add a pint(?) carton of heavy cream, and a cup of dry or semi-dry white wine. Sav/Blanc usually a good cooking white wine. Just not Chard or a really sweet one. Add veggies and simmer till they tender up but still have fresh crunch. Want it to simmer with cream to get some thickness, but not over thick. Add fruit just before taking from heat. Only long enough to heat through. these 3 fruit will break down if over cooked. Serve over rice. Can garnish with parsley sprig on top if you want to add some pizazz. The more you can simmer down the spices and not be grainy the better. This is to the best of my memory. I didn't write anything down when I first fixed it. Then we ate it. Then, it was oh crap, I need to write that down.
this sounds wonderful, will definitely give it a try.

Reactions: OG.V83
@OG.V83 I used your buffalo sauce suggestion the other day. The honey was a nice add.

Glad you tried it. The honey is what's up and surprisingly a well kept secret. Well I guess I screwed that up 🤣
I experiment with the sauce all the time .. like if I'm making different barbecues an what not .. but the butter and honey is always what I start with. You can make a sweet teriyaki style wing too if you substitute teriyaki sauce for the Frank's. Possibilities are endless when honey and butter is your base. For instance, Last time I made wings, i was out of Frank's but had some Louisiana on hand so i used it with a bit of Worcestershire and a dab of white vinegar (and of course butter and honey) they were bangin son! But the Frank's is definitely what I recommend for Buffalo style, and the recipe I gave out (admittedly leaving just a couple minor things out) is the one I have won contests with. Glad to share with my fellow Vols

Reactions: MAD
Does anyone have any tips on cooking with curry or any curry recipes?

Due to health I make a lot of simple entrees. I found this on line. Chicken breasts. Place them on a baking sheet. Mix 1/3 mayo. 1/3 bbq and 1/3 shredded cheddar cheese. Cover chicken and bake at 350 til done. Quick, easy and pretty darn good.

Does anyone have any tips on cooking with curry or any curry recipes?

Curry Chicken Salad:
Whole Rotisserie pulled
1-1.5 C Mayo
2tsp soy sauce
3 TBSP Curry
1 Cup red grapes halved
1-2 stalks celery sliced/diced
2 TBSP Mango Chutney (Or more)
Salt/Pepper to taste

Curry Wings:
2 lbs wings (salt and peppered - baked/fried)
Stick sofetened butter room temp
2TBSP Curry (More if you like prominent curry flavor)
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp mango chutney
Mix ingredients and toss in hot wings.

Also my above homemade curry stew. I personally would prob use more curry in recipe than what I wrote down.

Last edited:
Fixed this for 2nd time now and tweaked recipe. Homemade meatballs and pasta.

Meatballs
1.25 pounds ground sirloin
4-6 cloves garlic chopped (I use two cereal spoons minced prepared)
1 egg beaten
1/2 C Italian bread crumbs (couple palm full)
1/4+ C grated or shredded parm cheese
I put extra dose of italian seasoning.
Mix up, form meatballs, bake on rack at 425 till cooked thru. About 12 min. I turn once to get browned on all sides.

Sauce
Large can crushed tomato.
can tomato paste
1C good beef stock
small finely chopped onion
6 clove garlic chopped
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (I may add a little more. Like to know it's there but not hot.)
Good palm full chopped Basil (10-12 leaves
1/4 C chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
extra italian seasoning if desired
2-4 TBSP cane sugar to balance acidity
Up to 1/2 C red wine if desired (optional)

In pot, saute onion, red pepper flakes, garlic on low till tender. don't scorch garlic. Add rest of ingredients
and simmer up to 20 minutes.

Fairly quick recipe. Maybe hour start to finish. I made meatballs ahead of time and refrigerated. After work, throw on pasta and mix sauce up, while meatballs are baking.

Throw a little sauce and olive oil on the cooked spaghetti and toss. Top with meatballs, sauce, and shredded parm/romano.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol and MAD
Curry Chicken Salad:
Whole Rotisserie pulled
1-1.5 C Mayo
2tsp soy sauce
3 TBSP Curry
1 Cup red grapes halved
1-2 stalks celery sliced/diced
2 TBSP Mango Chutney (Or more)
Salt/Pepper to taste

Curry Wings:
2 lbs wings (salt and peppered - baked/fried)
Stick sofetened butter room temp
2TBSP Curry (More if you like prominent curry flavor)
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp mango chutney
Mix ingredients and toss in hot wings.

Also my above homemade curry stew. I personally would prob use more curry in recipe than what I wrote down.
Sounds great.

The next time you make scrambled eggs, add a pinch of curry powder - curried eggs.

Meatballs
1 egg beaten
Mix up, form meatballs, bake on rack at 425 till cooked thru. About 12 min. I turn once to get browned on all sides.

Sauce
can tomato paste
1C good beef stock
6 clove garlic chopped
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (I may add a little more. Like to know it's there but not hot.)
1/4 C chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste

In pot, saute onion, red pepper flakes, garlic on low till tender. don't scorch garlic. Add rest of ingredients

Fairly quick recipe. Maybe hour start to finish. I made meatballs ahead of time and refrigerated. After work, throw on pasta and mix sauce up, while meatballs are baking.

Throw a little sauce and olive oil on the cooked spaghetti and toss. Top with meatballs, sauce, and shredded parm/romano.
1/4 cup of sugar seems like too much, but I tend to not use much sugar. I might use 1 teaspoon to balance acidity and still get a slight sweetness.
Other than that it's pretty much the recipe I use about twice a month. Granddaughter thinks it's the only thing to eat at our house.
I also occasionally use 1/2 ground pork and a good dose of fennel seed. My preference.

1/4 cup of sugar seems like too much, but I tend to not use much sugar. I might use 1 teaspoon to balance acidity and still get a slight sweetness.
Other than that it's pretty much the recipe I use about twice a month. Granddaughter thinks it's the only thing to eat at our house.
I also occasionally use 1/2 ground pork and a good dose of fennel seed. My preference.

Prob so on sugar. 4 TBSP too much. I didn't really measure. I just stuck my hand in the sugar bowl and threw some in. 1 TBSP prob good.

I di mix ground meats this time. and I have used ground pork and lamb in the past. Like 1 lb ground sirloin, 1/4 ground pork, and 1/4 ground lamb. That made a good meatball.

Meatballs
1 egg beaten

Sauce
can tomato paste
1C good beef stock
6 clove garlic chopped
1/4 C chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste

The pros would highly suggest cooking the meatballs in the sauce.

Fantastic, now I have to tell @joevol33 what I had for dinner in what did you have for dinner then @VolNExile will need me to drive to the coast to get it in the vacation thread then if I smoked or BBQed it Ill have to holler at @JCHateSteve in the BBQ Grilling thread and when @Tin Man posts something I usually have to look it up and see what it is :p. This is gonna be alot of extra work for me :oops:

Fantastic, now I have to tell @joevol33 what I had for dinner in what did you have for dinner then @VolNExile will need me to drive to the coast to get it in the vacation thread then if I smoked or BBQed it Ill have to holler at @JCHateSteve in the BBQ Grilling thread and when @Tin Man posts something I usually have to look it up and see what it is :p. This is gonna be alot of extra work for me :oops:
Makes a lot of work for us to check out as well! But it's all good..usually. 😁

No. Proper way is to bake them first, then add to the sauce after. Otherwise you have nasty looking "boiled" meatballs.

I prefer to cook in sauce at a very low temperature.
If I dont have time I saute or brown in oven.
I find cooking in the sauce makes for a more tender meatball. Nothing like boiling in water.
This is for spaghetti only.

I witnessed a young lady add ground beef to the sauce (not balls), and only cook it a few minutes. Kind of sad as she could barely boil water, and she was making the meal for the guy she was expecting to marry. To her credit she laughed it off.

ImpossibleHonorableArmyworm-size_restricted.gif

I prefer to cook in sauce at a very low temperature.
If I dont have time I saute or brown in oven.
I find cooking in the sauce makes for a more tender meatball. Nothing like boiling in water.
This is for spaghetti only.

I witnessed a young lady add ground beef to the sauce (not balls), and only cook it a few minutes. Kind of sad as she could barely boil water, and she was making the meal for the guy she was expecting to marry. To her credit she laughed it off.

And you ate it ?! (Well, some gals get extra points and don't need to know to cook too well.)

And you ate it ?! (Well, some gals get extra points and don't need to know to cook too well.)

She didn't cook it for me. I dont think either of them ate more than a bite of it. Obviously mostly raw meat.

I don't even know if they got married.

VN Store

Back