The Recipe Thread!

She didn't cook it for me. I dont think either of them ate more than a bite of it. Obviously mostly raw meat.

I don't even know if they got married.

LOL. We used to say girls like that better be good at bl** j***.

Glad you tried it. The honey is what's up and surprisingly a well kept secret. Well I guess I screwed that up 🤣
I experiment with the sauce all the time .. like if I'm making different barbecues an what not .. but the butter and honey is always what I start with. You can make a sweet teriyaki style wing too if you substitute teriyaki sauce for the Frank's. Possibilities are endless when honey and butter is your base. For instance, Last time I made wings, i was out of Frank's but had some Louisiana on hand so i used it with a bit of Worcestershire and a dab of white vinegar (and of course butter and honey) they were bangin son! But the Frank's is definitely what I recommend for Buffalo style, and the recipe I gave out (admittedly leaving just a couple minor things out) is the one I have won contests with. Glad to share with my fellow Vols

Yep, hard to beat Franks for buffaloed wings. Our go to wing sauce: Chili Lime Cilantro

Stick softened butter
Chopped cilantro
Grated lime zest and two limes juiced.
Pack of Thai red chili paste, or if the small jar, atleast half or more
Couple tsp soy
Couple TBS honey

Whip it all together and toss in hot wings to melt over and coat. (Just in case I'm off a little, this is a Tyler Florence recipe and can be looked up easily). But, when we do wings, we usually do at least 2 sauces and this is always one of them.

One I made up on the fly the other day for the smoked wings is Honey (roughly 1/4 cup), 2-3 tbsp. soy, couple squirts mustard, tsp garlic, tsp ground or fresh ginger. Came out pretty righteous.

And best we can figure from the 17th Street Market in KTown, smoked wings, then deep fried to crisp the skin, then dusted with yellow curry powder. Simple, and daaayummmm.

Yep, hard to beat Franks for buffaloed wings. Our go to wing sauce: Chili Lime Cilantro

Stick softened butter
Chopped cilantro
Grated lime zest and two limes juiced.
Pack of Thai red chili paste, or if the small jar, atleast half or more
Couple tsp soy
Couple TBS honey

Whip it all together and toss in hot wings to melt over and coat. (Just in case I'm off a little, this is a Tyler Florence recipe and can be looked up easily). But, when we do wings, we usually do at least 2 sauces and this is always one of them.

One I made up on the fly the other day for the smoked wings is Honey (roughly 1/4 cup), 2-3 tbsp. soy, couple squirts mustard, tsp garlic, tsp ground or fresh ginger. Came out pretty righteous.

And best we can figure from the 17th Street Market in KTown, smoked wings, then deep fried to crisp the skin, then dusted with yellow curry powder. Simple, and daaayummmm.
So this recipe ain't far off of my Yucatan Shrimp served with a good crusty bread for sopping up. I use Sambal Oleek instead of red chili paste but Siracha will do in a pinch. Lots and lots of chopped Garlic simmered in the butter before you add the other ingredients then toss in fresh shrimp to cook the shrimp through and sit down with your friends family style.

Reactions: GVF and VolNExile
So I'm determined to not let this thread go a month with no action so in that vein what is the best recipe you have come across recently for a largeish group lets say 25 folks that can be pre-done. So the setup is we are doing some all day fire classes at our volunteer station and I will be in class upstairs from 830 til lunchtime I can come down on breaks but we don't have enough time to full on cook/grill something when we take our lunch break. I'm looking for something to cook for our class that isn't the old standards of Chili, spaghetti, chicken pastry, beef stew. To further limit my options these are mostly good ole southern boys (and 2 ladies) so I'm thinking tiki masala chicken ain't gonna work lol.
Any ideas volnation?

Reactions: MAD
I saw this on the news this morning about this cooking school offering free online classes until the end of April.

“At the Milk Street Online Cooking School you won’t learn just recipes, you'll learn new ways to approach food and cooking, giving you a reinvigorated enthusiasm for putting dinner on the table.

As most of us will be spending more time at home and in the kitchen over the coming weeks, we are making our entire line of online cooking classes available for free through April 30, 2020.”

Online School Landing

A31E7656-73CC-43E3-A752-47805F4BE24E.jpeg8576A0CC-70F0-40F4-9CC3-654CEF8AB9B0.jpeg

Reactions: VolNExile
Reactions: MAD and Tin Man
This recipe is healthy, you can use any firm white fish, and it’s so good that I can’t shove it in my mouth fast enough!

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/thai-style-halibut-with-coconut-curry-broth-1947047

*edit-!I just add the spinach right to the skillet when done and let it wilt. Then serve all atop the brown rice.
Thank you so much, this recipe looks great.
Funny you sent this today, I just made a fish curry last night. I'm so into cooking lately and excited to try this.

Hoosier's Toast

2 Slices of white or wheat bread
Place in toaster until it pops up
Apply butter and enjoy!

Check out my FB page for more recipes!

Reactions: tntar heel and MAD
Dale's can do a trick on steaks as well before grilling.

I also like marinating chicken or steak in a home made teriyaki marinade. My made up version based on a loose gathering of ingredients from the waitress at The Chart House back in the 80's in St. Augustine.

These are approximate to say the least:
1/4 sup soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (not marinade)
1/4 cup Sherry (or red table wine)
4 clove garlic crushed
2 tsp ginger chopped
small dose of black pepper
1/2 cup give or take fresh chopped ripe pineapple w/juice
1/2 cup scallions w/the onion side as well.
Probably around 1/4 cup dark brown sugar

This will make a pretty darn good home made marinade verses store bought teriyaki marinades. I don't usually add salt because of the soy sauce. You can tweak any amount of the ingredients to taste. I will marinate boneless breasts for 2-4 hours to get them infused and tender off the grill. Steaks about 30-60 minutes. I had this marinade at Chart House first on grilled shrimp appetizer, then on my grilled tuna steak. It's the only way to eat grilled tuna (except for maybe a quick and dirty swim in Italian Dressing). I've used on Shrimp, Tuna, Chicken, Pork Chops, and Steaks. I baste with the remaining while grilling on all but the steaks.
I was looking for something like this, thanks for posting.

My mom made this Friday, it was simple and so good. Asked her to write out the recipe.

Tuna Tartare

E6FF5D8F-126B-4F65-BEC3-B535FE114DBC.jpeg5C5E2D9E-425A-4638-AEA1-1C1DF9185810.jpeg

I also might add a little honey to add some body to it. Can't recall. But, it's definitely not a thick marinade like most bottled brands. It will penetrate properly with appropriate time down. Also canned pineapple will do, but the flavor and sweet acid of the fresh is very important to the marinade working. If you can't get a good ripe pineapple, you can slice it and grill it about 10-15 minutes to start the acid/sugar transition then chop it up...If you want a sweeter flavor profile.

Also, to each their own, but i'm partial to the taste of Kikkoman, especially the teriyaki sauce. I like strong robust soy sauces so I will stray from Kikkoman on that, but I like their flavor profile on soy.

VN Store

Back