The Recipe Thread!

There is a big recipe thread in the Endzone but it's questionable as to how many of those posts are actually about food. There is also one in the Football forum about game day recipes.
That time I clicked on a thread in The Endzone....
tenor.gif

The VN Recipe thread I found in the Endzone had been dormant since 2011. I bumped it but expect fewer recipes than banter posts.

The VN Recipe thread I found in the Endzone had been dormant since 2011. I bumped it but expect fewer recipes than banter posts.
Yep. Behr has been posting stories of former VNsters who do not like him. Although, there is one post for brine in which to pickle eggs...

How to win breakfast AND dessert thanks to my Grandma.

Breakfast:
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
pinch of salt
2 cups milk
4 tablespoons butter cut into cubes. Real butter dadgummit.
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a small pan.
Add milk and whisk until smooth.
Cook over medium heat,stirring constantly, until it starts to thicken.
Remove from heat, add vanilla and butter. Stir until butter is melted and mixed in.
Serve immediately over hot buttered biscuits.

Dessert:
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark, doesn't matter much)
1/2 cup regular sugar
1/2 cup self rising flour
1 cup chocolate chips
1 stick butter, browned.
Combine all ingredients, pour into unbaked pie shell, bake at 350 for 45 minutes. You will probably want to cover the edges of the pie crust after about 25-30 minutes or the edge will be really brown.

Cheesy ‘Chilada Casserole

1 pound lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (15.5-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup picante salsa
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or Mexican 3 cheese blend)
1 head lettuce, shredded
2 tomatoes, chopped
Sour cream for accompaniment
Salsa for accompaniment
  • Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
  • In a large skillet, brown ground beefwith onion, green bell pepper and garlic; drain. Stir in pintobeans, tomato sauce, picante salsa, cumin and salt. Simmer for15 minutes.
  • Transfer half of the mixture to a 13 x9 x 2-inch baking dish. Top with half the corn tortillas. Repeatlayers. Sprinkle with cheddar.
  • Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bakefor 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
  • Top with lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, jalapinos, more shredded cheese sour cream and salsa.

Belle+Meade+Bourbon_Classic.png

Tennessee bourbon. Buy it. Drink it. Tennessee.

I think this is actually a blend of various KY Bourbons. Cool story on the Nelsons though. On Distillery Rd in Greenbrier TN, there is a bizarre looking tobacco barn. It’s actually an old barn that’s still standing from the original Nelson’s Greenbrier Distillery that shut down as a result of prohibition. It was repurposed to fire tobacco. Kind of cool.

I've always wondered how many other Tennesseans eat chocolate gravy and biscuit. Everywhere (other states) I've ever been its unheard of, if its uncommon to folks on here I'll update with a recipe later.

Reactions: MAD
I've always wondered how many other Tennesseans eat chocolate gravy and biscuit. Everywhere (other states) I've ever been its unheard of, if its uncommon to folks on here I'll update with a recipe later.
I’ll be honest, I’m from Knoxville and have never heard of it. Would be very curious to see a recipe.

Reactions: eskimovol
I’ll be honest, I’m from Knoxville and have never heard of it. Would be very curious to see a recipe.

We ate it on pancakes growing up. Add some oatmeal and peanut butter to it and you have cow pile cookies.

Edit: I think i misunderstood these two posts. chocolate gravy is probably different than the chocolate recipe I am talking about which superdave posted above

Last edited:
Reactions: eskimovol and MAD
We ate it on pancakes growing up. Add some oatmeal and peanut butter to it and you have cow pile cookies.

Edit: I think i misunderstood these two posts. chocolate gravy is probably different than the chocolate recipe I am talking about which superdave posted above

Good catch, I didn't see superdave's post. It's the first part that he posted, but people adjust the amount of ingredients to tailor it to their taste, like more flour so it's really thick. It probably is called something different in different parts of the state.

How to win breakfast AND dessert thanks to my Grandma.

Breakfast:
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
pinch of salt
2 cups milk
4 tablespoons butter cut into cubes. Real butter dadgummit.
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a small pan.
Add milk and whisk until smooth.
Cook over medium heat,stirring constantly, until it starts to thicken.
Remove from heat, add vanilla and butter. Stir until butter is melted and mixed in.
Serve immediately over hot buttered biscuits.

Dessert:
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark, doesn't matter much)
1/2 cup regular sugar
1/2 cup self rising flour
1 cup chocolate chips
1 stick butter, browned.
Combine all ingredients, pour into unbaked pie shell, bake at 350 for 45 minutes. You will probably want to cover the edges of the pie crust after about 25-30 minutes or the edge will be really brown.

I got fatter just reading this, it sounds awesome. Brown butter is umami.

I got fatter just reading this, it sounds awesome. Brown butter is umami.
You don't have to brown the butter, but you leave a lot of flavor out if you just melt it. FYI, the pie looks pretty lame, until you cut it and then you understand. Every time I make this it is gone immediately. My Grandma's recipe did not use half brown sugar half regular, it just said sugar. But the brown sugar makes it way better. Made my wife mad though that I changed improved an old family recipe. She says I can't call it my Grandma's recipe anymore.

I think this is actually a blend of various KY Bourbons. Cool story on the Nelsons though. On Distillery Rd in Greenbrier TN, there is a bizarre looking tobacco barn. It’s actually an old barn that’s still standing from the original Nelson’s Greenbrier Distillery that shut down as a result of prohibition. It was repurposed to fire tobacco. Kind of cool.

If Nelson's is acquiring whiskeys, the likely source is MGP in Indiana. Their rye whiskey is benchmark good. Just about every US-made boutique rye is a variation on their product.

I do not use file as a thickening agent. I use it to brighten the flavor. Fresh file adds umami to gumbo. I am of the persuasion that file should be added just prior to serving.

As I mentioned in my recipe, if, after the stock is blended into the roux, the gumbo is "thin," you may thicken it with a cornstarch slurry.

I've used file for both. Personally, I like it in certain Cajun dishes. I have never used cornstarch as a gumbo thickener. [We don't actually thicken it. If it's thin you added too much water from the get go. leftover can be cooked down thicker to become a chicken stew. Which is basically a thickened gumbo in their house. Then any of that left over gets stirred in with rice for chicken and rice. No waste.] However, if you do not have the patience or knack to cook the rue right, Carey's makes a dry roux powder that is an excellent sub. I could do a roux, but why if the powder is just as good. If you burn it you have to toss and start over. Waste of a good hour.

Another trick to a proper gumbo is browning your chicken pieces first in a skillet before adding to pot. If you can get a hold of some, Tasso (triple smoked ham) is also a great meat for gumbo. I'm just as happy leaving the Tasso out, and just snacking on it while the gumbo cooks.

My wife's family is from St. Martens. Her mom had to learn how to cook for her dad. Her sister-in-law was the only other one that learned how to do a proper Cajun gumbo, and is the only one that can make it like her. She does the roux from scratch. There was always a rule. No tomato base, no okra. It wasn't Creole Gumbo. It was country gumbo. She would labor over the roux on low for a good half hour plus till it got right. Added the trinity. Added the meats. Added the water. Covered. Didn't touch or stir till done or it would ruin it. Skimmed fat off top. Had jar of homemade pepper sauce handy. Adding spoon full of pepper sauce to bowl of gumbo is a requirement. The friends that come up to GA during hunting season always make the local dishes while visiting. Their gumbo is with the prepared dry roux but you wouldn't know. They add Tasso to the chicken and sausage. We might have rabbit stew Cajun style. We'll get pinto's and sausage. White beans and rice (usually with ham or Tasso). Maybe rice dressing. Or steak and gravy, which is a treat all to itself.

Now, for a recipe. Since T'giving is coming up, here's a Cajun take on baking a Turkey.

Stuffing:
Bell pepper & onion, very finely chopped. Just keep going at it.
To bell pepper and onion add:
Garlic powder
Salt
Black Pepper
Cayenne
Hot sauce (just enough to make moist and pasty, not soupy)

Stir well. Pierce turkey all over with steak knife about 1" deep or so and maybe not an inch across. Maybe couple inches apart. Just feel it. Not scientific measurements. You'll figure out after stuffing a few slits. Stuff each slit with teaspoon full of stuffing. Poke it on in there with finger. I'd estimate around a dozen slits per breast for a decent size turkey, maybe a few more, and whatever you can fit in the legs and thighs. Optionally, you can then inject with Creole Butter injector. Dry Rub Turkey with salt, pepper, onion, garlic, cayenne, paprika dry rub blend. Stuff cavity of turkey with sliced onion, celery stalks, sliced apples, rosemary and thyme twigs for moisture and added flavor layer. Bake for required weight time. Can use roasting bag if desired.

2nd Turkey recipe, and an absolute home run. Look up Alton Brown's Turkey recipe. Plan ahead as have to brine over night. Be prepared for smoke alarm to go off, as first segment of cook time is at 500 degrees. I'd also put foil in bottom of oven for this one. We did this one two years ago and was one of the best I've ever eaten.

Last edited:
Now for one I made up on the fly. I like to cook. Sometimes I do better just rummaging than using a recipe book. Was visiting my parents. My sister was in and likes me to cook, and they asked me what I was going to cook. So I said what do you have. chicken tenders was the only meat they had frozen that could prep quickly, so I chose that. The way this dish ended up, you could sub in lamb stew meat and add cooking time to get tender. Or pre-simmer lamb till tender then prepare dish. As for the spices, I just opened up all she had and started sniffing and grouped the ones that smelled like they'd pair well for what was going through my head to cook. And to the best of my memory I have it pretty accurate, maybe. Don't know what to call it other than some sort of Asian/Indian stew stuff. So....

1 lb (or so) chicken tenders cross cut to thin slices.

Spice mix:
1/2 tsp salt (to taste as cooks down if needed)
1/2 tsp pepper (to taste as cooks down if needed)
1-2 tsp yellow curry (I like the heavy side, and the curry needs to be the primary flavor)
1/8 tsp ground clove
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground thyme
1/8 tsp ground coriander
1/8 tsp oregano (ground if can)
1/8 tsp tumeric
1/8 tsp paprika
(can add extra pepper or cayenne if you want it kicked up, but I never did. can also taste and adjust mix to your taste. It's not an exact measured production. It's a recall thing.)

Veggies:
One onion medium sized quartering
One bell pepper same (maybe 1/2 chunks on both)
One carrot sliced

Fruit:
One mango cut up
1/2C chopped dates (or chop your own pitted dates even better)
1/2C or so pineapple chunks (fresh cut)
[Or just make pineapple and dates equal cut up mango]

In large skillet, sautee chicken and spice mix with couple shots olive oil. Give it 10 minutes or so on low after browning chicken. cook down spices as much as possible. The less grainy the better. Add a pint(?) carton of heavy cream, and a cup of dry or semi-dry white wine. Sav/Blanc usually a good cooking white wine. Just not Chard or a really sweet one. Add veggies and simmer till they tender up but still have fresh crunch. Want it to simmer with cream to get some thickness, but not over thick. Add fruit just before taking from heat. Only long enough to heat through. these 3 fruit will break down if over cooked. Serve over rice. Can garnish with parsley sprig on top if you want to add some pizazz. The more you can simmer down the spices and not be grainy the better. This is to the best of my memory. I didn't write anything down when I first fixed it. Then we ate it. Then, it was oh crap, I need to write that down.

Oh yeah. serve with rice.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back