The QB Debate (Week 13)

Dobbs wasn't highly rated as a HS QB either and he's back-up to Big Ben now after a great college career. Never know until you give them playing time.
I agree 100%. Let him get used to the system without the pressure of trying to start too early. JTS would have played his Junior year had he not gotten hurt. He was also recruited by CTH while he was at USC as well.

JC is not that great, but at least he is slow.
I think you need to look at the stats before you show you don't even know the correct combination of letters for the person's initials you are trying to belittle.

I think he was talking about the goofs that don't like JG. He is saying they will just move on to Shrout as the savior of the program. One thing to remember, his one year as the starter got the attention of several NFL scouts.

I'm critical of JG, but I am no where near that insane to say Shrout is the future. Does he have upside? Sure. But the right way to take him is redshirt entire first year and keep him in the S&C program non stop. Basically gym and playbook should be all he does. Then let him get mop up duty next year for his first game action. Take Dobbs and Worley as examples. Both had no business playing and wasting their redshirts their first year on the team. Remember Dools burning Worley's just to handoff 3 times to end the Bama game? That right there ruined any chance of a formidable career for Worley.

Dobbs didn't necessarily have a choice as Worley and Peterman ended up with freak injuries in back to back years and Ferguson wound up hurt from practice. It is catch 22 with Dobbs and his redshirt year. Yes we have him last year and he prolly gets to 6 wins at minimum because of his legs. However, we likely don't can Butch.

For QB's, the best thing you can ever do is sit them entirely their first year and beef them up on S&C and Playbook.

But Shrout is legit 2 years away (2020) season from any legit playing time at best. He will likely be the #2 next year and they will redshirt and beef up the other 2 guys coming in.

The pure lunacy that we should go to him if JG is injured is insane.

Reactions: Pride85
I'm critical of JG, but I am no where near that insane to say Shrout is the future. Does he have upside? Sure. But the right way to take him is redshirt entire first year and keep him in the S&C program non stop. Basically gym and playbook should be all he does. Then let him get mop up duty next year for his first game action. Take Dobbs and Worley as examples. Both had no business playing and wasting their redshirts their first year on the team. Remember Dools burning Worley's just to handoff 3 times to end the Bama game? That right there ruined any chance of a formidable career for Worley.

Dobbs didn't necessarily have a choice as Worley and Peterman ended up with freak injuries in back to back years and Ferguson wound up hurt from practice. It is catch 22 with Dobbs and his redshirt year. Yes we have him last year and he prolly gets to 6 wins at minimum because of his legs. However, we likely don't can Butch.

For QB's, the best thing you can ever do is sit them entirely their first year and beef them up on S&C and Playbook.

But Shrout is legit 2 years away (2020) season from any legit playing time at best. He will likely be the #2 next year and they will redshirt and beef up the other 2 guys coming in.

The pure lunacy that we should go to him if JG is injured is insane.
A very good analysis of what should happen. Get some size and strength on Shrout and let him learn the new system completely and he does have some serious upside. He just ain't ready, yet.

As much as I tend to agree with him, he cant really keep it that way, unfortunately. It's been the one flaw with most of his arguments is the whataboutism of shrout and KC.

I thought his argument was that if you had any criticism of JG, then you were racist?

That seems to be what he and Lexkyvol throw out and infer in every thread that even dares mention Guarantano's name.

I don't know if OP is asking if he's tough or how he's being taught.
Also it's dual threat QB, not duel (unless he's armed and challenging another QB to a duel).

Reactions: jacvols and CR-vol
Had KC been tabbed the man and gotten the man snaps, he would be better. He hasn't played and came in cold. Big difference. And they could be throwing against air and makes no difference if he is running for his life on every drop back. It's the line. JG is nothing special, he just has more eligibility left. KC will get his shot in the NFL.

Had KC been tabbed the man and gotten the man snaps, he would be better. He hasn't played and came in cold. Big difference. And they could be throwing against air and makes no difference if he is running for his life on every drop back. It's the line. JG is nothing special, he just has more eligibility left. KC will get his shot in the NFL.
Uh CJP has said already that Chryst was splitting the reps with the 1's with JG. Jg has the UT record for pass attempts without an interception and has the highest completion percentage of a UT qb, he may not be special by your metric but he is objectively better than 36%0tds and 2 ints against the 13th ranked defense in the sec.

Reactions: k-town_king
I guess it's going to take another 2 years for most people to figure out that JG is N-O-T a dual threat QB. He confessed that his father "labeled" him as such in HS in order to get him more interest from colleges. He fell into that category on recruiting sites and now he's stuck with it forever it seems. Add to that he has dark skin and the stereotypes kick in and reinforce the notion. He followed Josh Dobbs (who ironically was listed as a Pro-Style QB on recruiting sites) and has similar stature. That reinforces the idea that he was Butches hand picked replacement for his spread system. Even though Jones' history as a head coach shows that he started more Pro-Style QBs over his tenure than dual threats.

He is a fast runner. You can see that whenever he gets out in the open with the ball. But he does not have moves that make him a threat outside strait line speed. This is why coach Jones and coach Pruitt are both using him as a pocket passer.

Jarrett Guarantano is a Pro-style QB. Tell all your friends. Maybe most of the fanbase will have that figured out by the time they stop spelling the other guys name "Dormandy".

Why lie? Your father nor you can choose how the sites label you. You and another poster have posted this lie several times.

He was ranked high because he is good.

Maybe if he wasn't beat up from hits he would be able run a lil more. He can probably barely move with all the hits he's taken. Or maybe the just isn't opening up running lanes.

Last edited:
Reactions: lexkyvol
I’m not a guy who pretends to know things but I read a lot form people who do. Everyone that I’ve read that’s watched practice has said that JT is a project and is way behind JG. JG is likely the guy unless we land a super star freshman.
Let's hope for superstar!

If you believe there are 2 sides to the story, then read on. Otherwise, tell me I'm full of sheet and move on with your love fest.

JG is an average QB... not suited for the SEC. Demonstrated the inability to read defenses, cannot read a blitz or move around in the pocket to extend a play or even use his legs to gain yards. Stats you refer to are impressive... should have a great W-L record... what is it by the way (real question).

Next year, all it will take to displace JG is a QB that shows mobility, with a reasonable arm... I look forward to a battle at QB next year. Remember... that entire Oline returns (minus those are declare entry to the NFL).

So, tell me... what makes JG the man at QB next year.

If Chryst is so much better at “reading defenses” than Guarantano explain one thing for me, why was the 19 on Chryst’s Back green instead of white by the 3rd quarter Saturday? Guarantano is a good qb, if he had a decent offensive line he would be an all sec qb.

Reactions: k-town_king
Can I please see one of these “reports” you continually reference...just one? I don’t disagree that JG’s starting spot is more than safe, but let’s keep it opinion based absent anything real.
I guess you missed all the daily fall camp reports then? 🤔

They are in there when discussing the qb battle. JG and KC were battling with Shrout far behind with accuracy and turnover issues. Just like his high school stats.

Go do a search if yoy want the links.

He has been in school five years and splits reps . He is what he is. I hope he gets a shot but I doubt it.

JG is special and much much better.

Wow, people singing praises of KC in the 2nd. His numbers were bad. He can read a defense but can't make the throws JG can. If you could hybridize the two you'd have an elite QB.
smartest post on the subject to date.

wait, you weren't "hating" on both of them were you???

Please tell me where in the draft do you see him going if he keeps shattering records?
Top three rounds. National types and evaluators love his game. He has progressed steadily. Big, big arm. Better stats than some recent first round qbs and vs better comp.

Dobbs went in the fourth. He has much more NFL potential. I said Dobbs would be a round 3-4 qb. JG has more NFL potential.

Just curious but with one game to go.... why is everyone fighting about KC vs JG? KC is a redshirt senior this year and will be gone after the bowl game we make it to after beating Vandy.... so why does it matter?

How about whoever plays on Saturday vs Vandy, we just hope that they play well so we do make it to that Bowl game.....

I’m just saying......
No, you must pick one to "hate" on. You cannot pull for both, you are either a JG worshiper or a KC worshiper. Get with the program @cHiZzLeVOL

VN Store

Back