The QB Debate (Week 13)

Probably gonna have to learn to take a shorter drop from under center and pass from position in the shotgun or get an offensive line that can block. Really needs to learn not to turn his head away from the action and jump a runningback TE etc about picking up the blitz.

Yeah, 5 out of those 6 wins have come this season, and more than half of the losses were as a freshman last year under Butch during our worst season in school history. He also played injured in 4 games last year if you’ll remember.

Additionally, 9 of those games were played against top 25 teams.

A win/loss record isn’t determined by 1 guy, it’s a team statistic. Our team has been pretty awful over the past 2 seasons.

Last year our run defense ranked 3rd to last (128th out of 130) in the nation and gave up 251.3 rushing yards per game on average.

Any team with a defense that bad would have a hard time winning games. Was that Jarrett’s fault? Absolutely not.

In the 17 game span between this season and last season that you mentioned, Jarrett has completed 65% of his passes while throwing 15 touchdowns and only 4 interceptions.

And he’s done it as a freshman and sophomore playing behind the worst O Line in the country in the toughest conference in all of college football.

So yeah, you’re saying the guy who’s thrown 4 interceptions in 17 games (the majority of which were played against 25 teams) is the reason why our team sucks?

I’d say that’s a fundamentally poor argument.
He doesnt care if it's a good argument he will still make it.

Reactions: k-town_king
Dude you’re so delusional. JT Shrout was ranked as the 64th QB in his class (link below) and wasn’t even the starter for his high school team until his senior season.

The guy he backed up in high school, Nick Moore, isn’t a stud by any means, he’s currently 4th string at Eastern Washington University.

JT got a lot of offers for a couple good showings at summer passing camps throwing routes against air without pads or against any defense.

JT might be our guy down the road, but I personally feel that Jarrett is our guy for the next 2 seasons after this year.

What more would you want considering our offensive line? Chryst was 11-2 as a starter at Stanford yet he could only manage 7 completions and threw 2 interceptions yesterday against one of the worst defenses in the country.

JG has upset 2 top 25 teams (Auburn was 21st and Kentucky was 11th) and set a school record for most passes without an interception. Hasn’t thrown one in 7 games now.

Get a grip bro.

2018 Top Quarterback Recruits
I think he was talking about the goofs that don't like JG. He is saying they will just move on to Shrout as the savior of the program. One thing to remember, his one year as the starter got the attention of several NFL scouts.

Yeah, 5 out of those 6 wins have come this season, and more than half of the losses were as a freshman last year under Butch during our worst season in school history. He also played injured in 4 games last year if you’ll remember.

Additionally, 9 of those games were played against top 25 teams.

A win/loss record isn’t determined by 1 guy, it’s a team statistic. Our team has been pretty awful over the past 2 seasons.

Last year our run defense ranked 3rd to last (128th out of 130) in the nation and gave up 251.3 rushing yards per game on average.

Any team with a defense that bad would have a hard time winning games. Was that Jarrett’s fault? Absolutely not.

In the 17 game span between this season and last season that you mentioned, Jarrett has completed 65% of his passes while throwing 15 touchdowns and only 4 interceptions.

And he’s done it as a freshman and sophomore playing behind the worst O Line in the country in the toughest conference in all of college football.

So yeah, you’re saying the guy who’s thrown 4 interceptions in 17 games (the majority of which were played against 25 teams) is the reason why our team sucks?

I’d say that’s a fundamentally poor argument.

Yet at the end of the day, 6-11 as a starter.

He takes the ball after the snap then stands there like he has lots of time and gets clobbered over and over. I thought he was supposed to be a duel threat QB. Why doesn`t he run for at least 2 yards rather than taking a 10 yard loss. I know we have a porous OL but, you would think if he is a running QB, he could gain 2-3 yards rather than taking a loss.

By the way, our OC is driving me crazy with his predictable play calling.
Remember you can't spell "tought" without "tough".....💩

So the qb that threw 25 ints and completed 51% in high school and who all reports and coaches say is far far behind is going to come in for the guy who is at 65% in the SEC with the lowest amount of ints in school history?

I don't know what some of you are thinking.
Can I please see one of these “reports” you continually reference...just one? I don’t disagree that JG’s starting spot is more than safe, but let’s keep it opinion based absent anything real.

On Saturday he got crushed on a play that the RB completely whiffed on a block. The next series, Our Oline lets a "lineman" not a blitzer, run through the middle completely untouched and he takes another sack. This has been consistently happening all year. I'm not going to say he doesn't hold onto the ball to long at times because he does. However, I believe the large majority of the hits he takes are due to absolutely piss poor blocking and missed assignments. Why do some fans have such a hard time seeing it? All teams have to do against our O-line is stunt and we are completely lost on who to block. He needs to get better at recognizing blitzes as well but a lot of these hits are when the other team rushes four and he has zero time to even find the laces. Meanwhile Drew Lock can stand in the backfield, have a picnic, drink a beer, call his ole lady, wave at his buddy in the stands, smoke a cigarette, and send a Christmas card to his momma before we remotely get any pressure. I think we also have to realize that he is only a sophomore. Dobbs wasn't very good in his second year if people would remember. He can still improve a lot and is a lot better than he was last year IMO.

I’m not a guy who pretends to know things but I read a lot form people who do. Everyone that I’ve read that’s watched practice has said that JT is a project and is way behind JG. JG is likely the guy unless we land a super star freshman.
Link.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Can I please see one of these “reports” you continually reference...just one? I don’t disagree that JG’s starting spot is more than safe, but let’s keep it opinion based absent anything real.
As much as I tend to agree with him, he cant really keep it that way, unfortunately. It's been the one flaw with most of his arguments is the whataboutism of shrout and KC.

Reactions: butchna
As much as I tend to agree with him, he cant really keep it that way, unfortunately. It's been the one flaw with most of his arguments is the whataboutism of shrout and KC.
Right on. If he sticks to readily available facts, JG is the best option. He’s been using this “all the experts” crutch since Torrance Gibson in my experience...prolly didn’t start there.

Reactions: BloomuVol
Why aren't we moving the pocket at all? Seems like that would give JG some extra time on occasion.

Some quarterbacks don't throw well on the run. Based on the limited time we've seen him attempt to throw on the roll out, he has not been nearly as accurate as he is throwing from the pocket. Further, when you roll the pocket, the defense only has to defend half the field. So, it takes away the ability to spread the defense.

Anyone see the Titans/Patriots game? If someone had seen Brady for the first time in that game would they have called him the "best QB ever"? He was getting pressured and losing his poise all through the game. He didn't look good at all. With JG's ability to throw accurate bombs down the field, I can see him being a GREAT QB if he got some protection. I don't understand why he gets so much criticism.

They will just move on to Shrout.
Well, some will still try to use JG's drives before being pulled as proof he should not start too.

Like don't be this insane. Shrout is definitely the 3rd guy on the depth chart, but he's the type of player you redshirt and put in during cleanup time when your starter is an upperclassmen.

Yes the intangibles on him have good upside, but saying we should move to him is insane.

well, proper play-calling could go a long way in helping JG stay off his butt...he's tough as nails, but nobody can take shots like that all the time...heck, we don't know if he'll even be able to go Saturday...it's the OC's job not to get JG or Keller hurt and scheme to weaknesses of the opposing team (especially with a limited O-line)...at least that's what he gets paid for...:D

GO VOLS...BEAT VANDY!!!!!!!

Possibly but that wasn’t the case against Bama
Dude... JG is not gonna get beat out for the starting spot next season. That is 100 percent correct. You're off your facking rocker if you think Shrout or Maurer will beat him out for the starting spot. No matter how much you want it to happen... its just not gonna happen. You might as well get used to the idea.
I have not seen Shrout play so I'm unable to predict his potential. One thing I have doubts long-term about is JG's pocket awareness and ability to make good decisions on a consistent basis. I do not think this problem is something that can be coached. You have the ability or you don't. I hope I'm wrong but this is how I feel about JG based on what I have seen so far this year.

I think he was talking about the goofs that don't like JG. He is saying they will just move on to Shrout as the savior of the program. One thing to remember, his one year as the starter got the attention of several NFL scouts.
Dobbs wasn't highly rated as a HS QB either and he's back-up to Big Ben now after a great college career. Never know until you give them playing time.

well, proper play-calling could go a long way in helping JG stay off his butt...he's tough as nails, but nobody can take shots like that all the time...heck, we don't know if he'll even be able to go Saturday...it's the OC's job not to get JG or Keller hurt and scheme to weaknesses of the opposing team (especially with a limited O-line)...at least that's what he gets paid for...:D

GO VOLS...BEAT VANDY!!!!!!!
It is a little hard to make adjustments for your QB when he gets KOed on the very first series. He made adjustments that would have helped JG very much had he been able to tell what in what century and on what planet he was playing.

VN Store

Back