The QB Debate (Week 13)

It settled it for me. He’s not accurate with the football and he threw 2 interceptions that were game changers. Not to mention he was 7 of 19.

His arm isn’t good enough for a SEC QB. I wish him the best but I hope I NEVER see him play meaningful snaps again, unfortunately, he’s a liability to the team.

It certainly wasn't a good showing. Given that Missouri's secondary is their weakness, it's doubly discouraging. Sadly he is probably our next best option if Guarantano can't go. If we had a decent o line I think it would be fine. But I doubt we beat Vandy with Keller under center. Then again this team has been as bipolar as the fan base all year. Maybe he'll suprise me.

Here we go, yet another thread that starts out innocent enough but turns into a JG v KC **** show. And even Shrout comes into the mix. The backup QB is always the best one. VN eternal mantra.

The fact is both QBs had terrible games yesterday. Both are good QBs and would be much better if we had an OL capable of doing the most simplest of things. But alas, we dont. At least not in any kind of consistent basis.

Agreed. If we don’t fix the O-Line it won’t matter who the QB is.... we could of had Manning in his prime this year and we still would of probably sucked because of our O-line.....

Just curious but with one game to go.... why is everyone fighting about KC vs JG? KC is a redshirt senior this year and will be gone after the bowl game we make it to after beating Vandy.... so why does it matter?

How about whoever plays on Saturday vs Vandy, we just hope that they play well so we do make it to that Bowl game.....

I’m just saying......

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
His stats justify the coaches going with JG all year.

JG has only thrown an interception in 1 game as both of his came against Florida.

Kid plays behind Drew Richmond, completes 66% of his passes and hasn’t thrown an interception in 7 games now, yet half or more users on here have been calling for Chryst for most of the year. Just crazy.

Chryst got his shot last night against one of the worst defenses in the country and completed 36% of his passes and had 2 interceptions.

Let’s start supporting our guy. Time for VolNation to show JG the same amount of love that the National Media does.

Nobody in school history has thrown more passes without an interception than Jarrett has. And we’ve had some pretty darn good players come through here. The fact that he’s done it behind one of the worst offensive lines in the country is nothing short of outstanding.
JG has to live and do well for us to be able to support him. We can support him all day but if he is on the sideline with his bell rung, that support doesn't do much good.

JG has to live and do well for us to be able to support him. We can support him all day but if he is on the sideline with his bell rung, that support doesn't do much good.
He lasted 11 games with the worst OL in the SEC.

Durability hasn’t been his problem. The doubters have called for Chryst all season, this started long before Jarrett’s injury on Saturday. JG is as tough as they come.

Imma type this slow for you okay.

The poster I was replying to suggested that we get behind "our guy" meaning JG. My post simply pointed out that actually having "a guy" is silly.

If any of those words are too large or confusing for you I can take the discussion to PM so we dont clutter up the board with your tutoring lessons.

Take care.

How do I know you typed it slowly?

How do I know you typed it slowly?
Video evidence...
giphy.gif

Dude you’re so delusional. JT Shrout was ranked as the 64th QB in his class (link below) and wasn’t even the starter for his high school team until his senior season.

The guy he backed up in high school, Nick Moore, isn’t a stud by any means, he’s currently 4th string at Eastern Washington University.

JT got a lot of offers for a couple good showings at summer passing camps throwing routes against air without pads or against any defense.

JT might be our guy down the road, but I personally feel that Jarrett is our guy for the next 2 seasons after this year.

What more would you want considering our offensive line? Chryst was 11-2 as a starter at Stanford yet he could only manage 7 completions and threw 2 interceptions yesterday against one of the worst defenses in the country.

JG has upset 2 top 25 teams (Auburn was 21st and Kentucky was 11th) and set a school record for most passes without an interception. Hasn’t thrown one in 7 games now.

Get a grip bro.

2018 Top Quarterback Recruits
So the qb that threw 25 ints and completed 51% in high school and who all reports and coaches say is far far behind is going to come in for the guy who is at 65% in the SEC with the lowest amount of ints in school history?

I don't know what some of you are thinking.

You 2 do realize he was agreeing with you, right?

2 more years of JG..yikes
If you believe there are 2 sides to the story, then read on. Otherwise, tell me I'm full of sheet and move on with your love fest.

JG is an average QB... not suited for the SEC. Demonstrated the inability to read defenses, cannot read a blitz or move around in the pocket to extend a play or even use his legs to gain yards. Stats you refer to are impressive... should have a great W-L record... what is it by the way (real question).

Next year, all it will take to displace JG is a QB that shows mobility, with a reasonable arm... I look forward to a battle at QB next year. Remember... that entire Oline returns (minus those are declare entry to the NFL).

So, tell me... what makes JG the man at QB next year.
JG as a starter has 6 wins and 11 losses...

The future (next two years) look bright!..

He lasted 11 games with the worst OL in the SEC.

Durability hasn’t been his problem. The doubters have called for Chryst all season, this started long before Jarrett’s injury on Saturday. JG is as tough as they come.
JG is 6'4" and 209 pounds..dude is a twig thats gonna eventually get snapped.

They will just move on to Shrout.
Well, some will still try to use JG's drives before being pulled as proof he should not start too.
No doubt about it. JG was concussed on the first dropback of the game after his piss poor teammates once again couldn’t do their jobs and let a defensive player have yet another free run at him, which culminated in a dirty tackle around his neck, his head being driven into the turf and another concussion for the kid. Still, JG tried to shake it off, came back out for the next series and tried to go.

Yet, there are plenty of Chryst fools who will try to point to the numbers a concussed JG had (0-2 passing) before having to leave the game.

2 more years of JG..yikes

JG as a starter has 6 wins and 11 losses...

The future (next two years) look bright!..
Oh yeah, it’s his fault. Coaching has been great, OL play just phenomenal and defense on point. That damn Guarantano and his 65% completion rate and 17/4 td to interception ratio is to blame for all those losses.

Reactions: k-town_king
I am in the JG camp as well. Cryst did have some moments of brilliance against Bama but for the most part has failed to show he is better than Guarantano. Considering JG is coming back next year his development is more important. The Volnation is thankful Cryst came for his one year transfer and it has been lovely having an experienced backup but JG is the future, Cryst is a patch.

UT QB stats
KC 7 of 19 for 173 yards 0 TD 2 int rushing 3 rushes for 2 yards total
JG 0 for 2 for 0 yards o TD 0 int rushing 2 rushes for minus -18 yards

What do you say we provide a little more context here. First, Guarantano was concussed on his first dropback of the day. Chryst entered the game healthy and left the game healthy, yet completed only 37% of his throws and threw as many interceptions in 19 attempts as JG has thrown in nearly 220.

Reactions: k-town_king
He takes the ball after the snap then stands there like he has lots of time and gets clobbered over and over. I thought he was supposed to be a dual threat QB. Why doesn`t he run for at least 2 yards rather than taking a 10 yard loss. I know we have a porous OL but, you would think if he is a running QB, he could gain 2-3 yards rather than taking a loss.

By the way, our OC is driving me crazy with his predictable play calling.

Last edited:
Well he has three options
1.) throw the ball into coverage and turn it over
2.) stand in there and throw the ball and take the hit which is what he normally does
3.) stand in there and take the sack 2 seconds after the ball is snapped.
JG is doing fine this year. Drew Lock wouldn’t be a draft prospect behind this O Line.

Oh yeah, it’s his fault. Coaching has been great, OL play just phenomenal and defense on point. That damn Guarantano and his 65% completion rate and 17/4 td to interception ratio is to blame for all those losses.
Yeah thats pretty awesome for starting 17 games. Averaging 1 TD pass a game is lights out play! But yeah..the coaches change everything up any hamstring him in the redzone. If only the coaches let JG play right?

Dude you’re so delusional. JT Shrout was ranked as the 64th QB in his class (link below) and wasn’t even the starter for his high school team until his senior season.

The guy he backed up in high school, Nick Moore, isn’t a stud by any means, he’s currently 4th string at Eastern Washington University.

JT got a lot of offers for a couple good showings at summer passing camps throwing routes against air without pads or against any defense.

JT might be our guy down the road, but I personally feel that Jarrett is our guy for the next 2 seasons after this year.

What more would you want considering our offensive line? Chryst was 11-2 as a starter at Stanford yet he could only manage 7 completions and threw 2 interceptions yesterday against one of the worst defenses in the country.

JG has upset 2 top 25 teams (Auburn was 21st and Kentucky was 11th) and set a school record for most passes without an interception. Hasn’t thrown one in 7 games now.

Get a grip bro.

2018 Top Quarterback Recruits

In before the "QB's don't have W/L records" crowd shows up. Oh wait, they are already here twisting things.

They dont really and if they do I guess you need to factor in KC never beating a winning team. JG has beat a few.

So naturally I would have looked past your comment after "They don't really" because that is your God Given right to an opinion. However, you followed it up with qualifications.

Since you clearly value W/L record for starters, you can't pick and choose when it is convenient for your "guy" vs others' "guy."

But since you seam wishy washy on whether a starter's W/L record is a stat, you have to compare.

Chryst wins were against teams that Stanford had no reason to lose to aka they took care of business. Also for your fact of Chryst never beating a winning team, why was UNC 8-4 when they played in the Sun Bowl? Is 8-4 not a winning team record? When Chryst went out they were up. You have to credit Chryst with beating a winning team there because if you recall, you credit JG with Chryst first touchdown vs Bama's starters because he "set it up" for Chryst.

Also, yes JG was the starter in two victories against two ranked teams. Since you obviously want to pick and choose "qualifications" for a starter's W/L record, at what point do losses to unranked teams trounce two wins vs ranked teams? I ask because you decided to start throwing around qualifications for determining whether a Starter's W/L record is weighed.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back