The QB Debate - post South Carolina (merged)

So, if the opposing DC states that he's going to take away the deep ball, it just happens, and there's no QB talent/skill or offensive play-calling that can overcome such a proclamation?
you take what is given. why force when you can nickle and dime down the field like we were doing until the false starts? have u ever watched new england play? most of brady's passes are between 5 and 10 yards.

He will likely close out the season with 18 tds & 5 INT’s and a very respectable completion percentage. I say that absolutely does wonders for us going into a pivotal year 2 of CJP era. Get it together
Only stat that matters is that he will be 1-7 in the SEC going in to year two which is garbage.

I can throw the ball five yards too. Quit throwing completion percentage at me. It further proves your ignorance. How many times did he BADLY miss an open Palmer today alone. I’ll hang up and listen.
29 of 37 and three of them were drops. 2 by palmer and one by callaway in which all three should've been catches. that's 32-37 and palmer's 2 takes his yardage above 300......but instead were drops

you take what is given. why force when you can nickle and dime down the field like we were doing until the false starts? have u ever watched new england play? most of brady's passes are between 5 and 10 yards.

So now JG is a peer of Tom Brady and the UT offense is similar to the Patriots, but is hampered by procedural penalties, and that's why we threw short passes almost exclusively last night?

Seems more likely that JG struggles to see wide open receivers downfield, is probably hurt from all the sacks he has taken and lost some range and accuracy, and Helton has put in a check down man at the LOS in an effort to give JG a target since he is demonstrably incapable of throwing the ball away.

So now JG is a peer of Tom Brady and the UT offense is similar to the Patriots, but is hampered by procedural penalties, and that's why we threw short passes almost exclusively last night?

Seems more likely that JG struggles to see wide open receivers downfield, is probably hurt from all the sacks he has taken and lost some range and accuracy, and Helton has put in a check down man at the LOS in an effort to give JG a target since he is demonstrably incapable of throwing the ball away.
i think you're looking for something to whine/ complain about JG for. i think you guys are pathetic. especially after this game. you expect perfection from him. no matter what he does, you and select others will find fault. is 24 not more than enough to win the game? i know a 7-1 team that scored 24 on their home field and beat the same team we lost too last night by 2 tds. place the blame where it belongs........and that's nowhere on the offensive side

Is on the bench. Dude DOES NOT have it between the ears. Some of you will figure that out some day.
I agree 100% but you're wasting your time talking about it. Coaching is committed too deep and can't get out; therefore the vols are doomed to low scoring against any decent team and will never have better than 50% chance of beating any low branch SEC team and 95% chance of always losing to a top SEC team. That is until they can find a QB that has the "it" factor after this one leaves at graduation. In today's high powered offenses, most all "good"defenses will give up 24-30 points. If your offense can't score 30 points or more average then you will get beat by most good teams.

70% completion tonight, 29-37 for 2 TD and 0 turnovers, and half of his 3rd down conversions were after his line false started. Dumb post
How many over throws, balls sailed etc? Short yardage passes, screens etc will always lead to high completion % JT shrout could have excuted that play calling and game plan. The recievers are the ones responsible for those 3rd down conversions for the most part.

Last edited:
This whole annual “the back up qb is better” argument is so overplayed. JG has a bettering arm. It was very clear he was going through his progressions, he had no time!
He was just scrambling for his life and took a beating! The kid is tough as nails.
If Peyton Manning was at qb he would have spent more time on his back than the average call girl.
Our line cannot push. That’s why we have have struggled in the the run, and that is why we are running flat and screen passes. I assure Helton isn’t running those to pad JG’s stats.
He was absolutely pinpoint accurate against Auburn. Difference was the line play.
Stop the madness and support your team, your coach, and our players.

lol...You don’t know **** about football. He is TOO SLOW going through any progressions, stares down his receivers and doesn’t throw the damn ball until the wideout is well out of their break. He doesn’t anticipate the position of the receiver and put them in the right position.

lol...You don’t know **** about football. He is TOO SLOW going through any progressions, stares down his receivers and doesn’t throw the damn ball until the wideout is well out of their break. He doesn’t anticipate the position of the receiver and put them in the right position.

You better call Pruitt and Helton and notify them that they are fools.
I could not disagree with you more!
Think of it like shooting. anyone can hit the ten ring standing still. Try that on the move and see how you do. Very few times last night was he not scrambling and throwing on the scramble. Their defense was set up to cover the deep threat. Jg had no chance, I guess you think he wanted to take that beating.

Reactions: lexkyvol
all these JG complaints must be women....because even after a good performance, that's the only thing ive ever heard that will still find something to whine and complain about

one person even said good defenses will give up 24 to 30 points. the starters will? unbelievable. ky scored 24 and gave up 10 to this same team....guess what their record is? shows u how not so far off we are. the defense needed to perform last night and failed

And he was about as effective as...

245px-Captain_and_tennille_1976.jpg

So on the year when we are throwing deep passes more he was 65 or something percent and only 2 interceptions but people complained he held the ball too long.

KC plays last week. Runs the same short passes as JG did this game and had a worse game besides the 2 run after the catches the wrs made in the 2nd quarter. Is only 9/15. 4/8 for 45 yards in the second half and he played the best game ever and he should start.

JG runs the type of plays KC got celebrated for "getting the ball out quickly" because they were short quick passes.

Now it's "yes he was accurate and made quick decisions but they were short passes."

Lmao. He had the highest ypa in 30 years completing over 64% and y'all complain he holds it.

He gets it out quick and y'all complain he is throwing it short.

To all the dummies. If a qb throws deep passes he has to hold it longer. If it's a quick pass it will be shorter. It's simple.

29 of 37 and three of them were drops. 2 by palmer and one by callaway in which all three should've been catches. that's 32-37 and palmer's 2 takes his yardage above 300......but instead were drops

I will give you the Callaway drop. But the Palmer drops were because JG threw the ball WAY TOO LATE. And couldn’t get it there. Letting the d backs get in position to make a play. He also threw most of his passes within 5 yards of the LOS. Hell, I played QB for 3 years in HS and could throw more than that down the field. You’re gonna see what you want, but if you want to talk football with people who, know what the F is going on, then you need to do some research.

Last edited by a moderator:
So on the year when we are throwing deep passes more he was 65 or something percent and only 2 interceptions but people complained he held the ball too long.

KC plays last week. Runs the same short passes as JG did this game and had a worse game besides the 2 run after the catches the wrs made in the 2nd quarter. Is only 9/15. 4/8 for 45 yards in the second half and he played the best game ever and he should start.

JG runs the type of plays KC got celebrated for "getting the ball out quickly" because they were short quick passes.

Now it's "yes he was accurate and made quick decisions but they were short passes."

Lmao. He had the highest ypa in 30 years completing over 64% and y'all complain he holds it.

He gets it out quick and y'all complain he is throwing it short.

To all the dummies. If a qb throws deep passes he has to hold it longer. If it's a quick pass it will be shorter. It's simple.

Did you say highest ypa in 30 years? Game set match. You are clueless. He was barely over 5 ypa.

He should have looked at his own previous play and been more realistic then.

He wants to coach though. I think hooking up with Pruitt and his connections were a lot of the reason he came.

I know you love JG and you may be correct about the coaching part. At the same time, you'll have to admit the JG didn't play well last year. He has really turned the corner and is playing at a high level this year. The defense lost that game yesterday and who is the DC. That happens to be our head coach.

Did you say highest ypa in 30 years? Game set match. You are clueless. He was barely over 5 ypa.
You cant read.

I said starting the year. Which would not include this game. He was over 9 ypa most of the year. 8.9 before the SC game. He was over 64%.

People complained he held the ball too long even though we were completing the deepest passes in years.

Those are facts.

Then this game he runs the same quick passes as KC last week and is 29/37.

Now people can't cry about accuracy or holding the ball so they find something else to whine about. Now it's short passes.

Either the pass is long and the ball is held or it's quick and short. People complain about both when it comes to JG. They aren't being realistic when it comes to him. No qb throws deep passes that get off in 1.5 seconds.

I will give you the Callaway drop. But the Palmer drops were because JG threw the ball WAY TOO LATE. And couldn’t get it there. Letting the d backs get in position to make a play. He also threw most of his passes within 5 yards of the LOS. Hell, I played QB for 3 years in HS and could throw more than that down the field. You’re gonna see what you want, but if you want to talk football with people who, know what the F is going on, then you need to do some research.

I bet you are the type of guy who spends a great deal of time flexing in the mirror.

Your belligerent argument is that the receiver dropped the ball because it was thrown late?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: k-town_king

VN Store

Back