The QB Debate - post South Carolina (merged)

I am confused . Do you guys think passing %'s =winning ? Tennessee lost to a weak SC team . JG does not have IT . Start a freshman for the rest of the year , it cannot get worse than losing .

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Also, for the record for all you JG HOMERS, most of all the fans I have seen comment aren't saying JG is the reason UT is losing. Yes, he gets blamed unfairly. But, Most of the people on this board have been around long enough to see a good/great SEC QB. JG will never be one! He don't have the intangibles at all!!! Being tough and a good arm can only get you so far. How many W's does JG have? As bad as a coach as CBJ was, he did take UT to 3 straight bowl games with Dobbs who was a solid QB. Everyone said Dobbs saved CBJ's job which is true. Doesn't it work both ways? What does JG going 0-8 in the SEC last year say about him? Yes, we had a below average OL last year and this year. But, JG is SOME OF THE PROBLEM TOO!!! Am I the only one that watches him stare down ONE receiver MORE OFTEN THAN NOT???

Reactions: dlravol2
He gets hit so much because he holds onto the ball too long. I don't understand why KC isn't getting a chance to prove himself. I really don't. Is he better? We don't know. Because he don't get a chance. He looked much better than JG in the Bama game to me. He didn't get hit too much. He got rid of the ball quicker.
Its not your job to decide who is better. It isnt your "right or privelege" to see who is better. The coach thinks JG is better and gives us the best chance to win. If you dont like it then go get some coaching experience and apply for the position. I'm sick of this ****.

Also, for the record for all you JG HOMERS, most of all the fans I have seen comment aren't saying JG is the reason UT is losing. Yes, he gets blamed unfairly. But, Most of the people on this board have been around long enough to see a good/great SEC QB. JG will never be one! He don't have the intangibles at all!!! Being tough and a good arm can only get you so far. How many W's does JG have? As bad as a coach as CBJ was, he did take UT to 3 straight bowl games with Dobbs who was a solid QB. Everyone said Dobbs saved CBJ's job which is true. Doesn't it work both ways? What does JG going 0-8 in the SEC last year say about him? Yes, we had a below average OL last year and this year. But, JG is SOME OF THE PROBLEM TOO!!! Am I the only one that watches him stare down ONE receiver MORE OFTEN THAN NOT???
People said the exact same thing about Dobbs. JG did not lose this game. JG performed well. He made mistakes but he damn sure didnt lose us the game. He played good enough for us to win. You ****ers just need to deal with the fact that the Coaches think JG is better than KC and move on. Don't you get tired of bitching about it?

People said the exact same thing about Dobbs. JG did not lose this game. JG performed well. He made mistakes but he damn sure didnt lose us the game. He played good enough for us to win. You ****ers just need to deal with the fact that the Coaches think JG is better than KC and move on. Don't you get tired of bitching about it?
I thought JG performed admirably in the game. He had a few suspect passes to Palmer but did alright otherwise.

C
Decision making is not one of JG's best qualities. Holds the ball too long. I realize our OL has issues but JG has to know that and cannot stay in the pocket too long. Play both QB's or die with JG.

Just watch the difference between Tua and JG and irs crystal clear. Tua throws the ball as soon as the WR or TE is about to break or just after they break. JG waits way too long to make those throws. It’s not going to change. He just doesn’t have the IQ to see it. That’s why he has so few TD passes because he doesn’t see the play as it’s developing. Only afterwards, when it’s usually too late. Then on top of that he doesn’t have the arm strength to bomb those the way some do and get away with it.

My opinion. JG is not very good. He hits the throws you expect a high school QB to hit and will occasionally make another throw that you expect from someone playing at this level but rarely.

However, he is one tough SOB. Most would be on the hospital by now or reviewing life insurance policies with a local agent playing behind that line.

He was also not reason Tennessee lost this game as the “high school” throws were there all night and were carving up the SC defense.

But, overall, no he’s not very good

They took the deep ball away and payed off all night. Did you actually watch the game?

I agree to a certain extent but we had some feel balls open but the timing was bad. Palmer dropped 1 or 2 but in his defense he had to wait on a couple where he was behind the defender.

Reactions: Rockyjr
I agree to a certain extent but we had some feel balls open but the timing was bad. Palmer dropped 1 or 2 but in his defense he had to wait on a couple where he was behind the defender.
I know of one deep ball JG threw to him that was catchable but under thrown. The other was a 50/50 ball to me. Look I'm not saying the guy didn't have a few bad passes, I just think the defense was so bad that I didn't even think about the QB last night. Offense played well enough to win if defense could've stopped SC at all in the second half.

My opinion. JG is not very good. He hits the throws you expect a high school QB to hit and will occasionally make another throw that you expect from someone playing at this level but rarely.

However, he is one tough SOB. Most would be on the hospital by now or reviewing life insurance policies with a local agent playing behind that line.

He was also not reason Tennessee lost this game as the “high school” throws were there all night and were carving up the SC defense.

But, overall, no he’s not very good

Even a Gator can see it. JG may be the worst QB UT has had in quite some time.

Amazes me you don't understand 70% completion tonight, 29-37 for 2 TD and 0 turnovers, and half of his 3rd down conversions were after his line false started. Did JG give up 240 yards rushing? Did he false start 6 times? Did he miss tackles?
I can throw the ball five yards too. Quit throwing completion percentage at me. It further proves your ignorance. How many times did he BADLY miss an open Palmer today alone. I’ll hang up and listen.

Its not your job to decide who is better. It isnt your "right or privelege" to see who is better. The coach thinks JG is better and gives us the best chance to win. If you dont like it then go get some coaching experience and apply for the position. I'm sick of this ****.

You’re hanging out on a discussion board, where people share opinions, perspectives, and have a healthy discussion on a topic. Given your obvious lack of tolerance for any opinion that’s not yours, this is probably not the healthiest place for you right now. No sense getting yourself all triggered over a game.

He played well until he held the ball too long and we lost our last shot. Just the way it is. He almost had another great road win.

*nice road win

SC is not a great road win for anyone other than possibly Charlotte. That’s not a great football team by any measure.

Amazes me you don't understand 70% completion tonight, 29-37 for 2 TD and 0 turnovers, and half of his 3rd down conversions were after his line false started. Did JG give up 240 yards rushing? Did he false start 6 times? Did he miss tackles?

These kind of stat lines in passing and completion average were eerily the same as Dobbs. Only difference is Dobbs could use his feet and run.

The fact JG is slower than molasses just shows his recruiting ranking was a farce.

This whole annual “the back up qb is better” argument is so overplayed. JG has a bettering arm. It was very clear he was going through his progressions, he had no time!
He was just scrambling for his life and took a beating! The kid is tough as nails.
If Peyton Manning was at qb he would have spent more time on his back than the average call girl.
Our line cannot push. That’s why we have have struggled in the the run, and that is why we are running flat and screen passes. I assure Helton isn’t running those to pad JG’s stats.
He was absolutely pinpoint accurate against Auburn. Difference was the line play.
Stop the madness and support your team, your coach, and our players.

Reactions: lexkyvol
Did you happen to see SC playing 3 deep cover? Those throws weren't there. JG did not beat us, our defense did.
the announcers said it too. said they talked to sc's DC and he said they def planned to take away the deep ball. but there are a lot of morons in our fanbase that dont like JG and it has nothing to do with football.

the announcers said it too. said they talked to sc's DC and he said they def planned to take away the deep ball. but there are a lot of morons in our fanbase that dont like JG and it has nothing to do with football.

So, if the opposing DC states that he's going to take away the deep ball, it just happens, and there's no QB talent/skill or offensive play-calling that can overcome such a proclamation?

VN Store

Back