The QB Debate - post South Carolina (merged)

Yeah defense didn't show up but guarantee the OL didn't either. And so we're back to the weak lines again. Wow....surprise. A QB isn't gonna function without the OL. JG trying to compensate for the latter and while not many could he could not. He is not the future, he would have have shown it by now.

Did any of you blaming JG see how small our OL was? Did you watch the UF and UGA game? Did you notice any difference between the size and athleticism of their OLs compared to theirs? Even SCs OL can block better than ours. If you cannit see these facts then there is no hope for you.
several were pretty good at blocking air

Did any of you blaming JG see how small our OL was? Did you watch the UF and UGA game? Did you notice any difference between the size and athleticism of their OLs compared to theirs? Even SCs OL can block better than ours. If you cannit see these facts then there is no hope for you.

Did our OL get bigger for the Auburn game?

JG executed the gamplan well and did his job. Problem is the gameplan is limited with him.

Barring decapitation, JP will play him.

What bothers me so bad was (yes JG is tough as nails) but the truth is imo that the kid just cannot throw a ball down the field with accuratency . It is obvious that the coaches do not trust him and by watching his throws I can see why...they are underthrown or overthrown...tonight was terrible...
JP failed the team tonight by not putting in the BEST PLAYER AT QB......It was obvious last week that they trust Chryst to make those passes.
JP makes statements that he tries his best to put the best players on the field and he failed the team...

That 49 seconds at the end of the first half was pathetic....first time he was in that position and he tried to preserve a win instead of giving his team a chance to win and instead of trying to get into field position for a field goal he failed.

After all those 4th down plays and on sides kicks he comes to this decision and throws a great chance away and paid a price.....

Reactions: dlravol2 and 901Vol
I've been on the JG bandwagon all year until tonight. He doesn't have the smarts to play QB. Can't make pre snap reads, can't throw a WR open, can't look off safeties , can't make check downs, has zero pocket presence , and has the slowest release in the NCAA. Bentley was better as an 18 year old fr.

I know the Oline is bad, but JG's weaknesses hurt this team a lot more than it has to. Despite the horrible cs last year, I still dont think he has the smarts to play in the sec. Hope I'm wrong .

What bothers me so bad was (yes JG is tough as nails) but the truth is imo that the kid just cannot throw a ball down the field with accuratency . It is obvious that the coaches do not trust him and by watching his throws I can see why...they are underthrown or overthrown...tonight was terrible...
JP failed the team tonight by not putting in the BEST PLAYER AT QB......It was obvious last week that they trust Chryst to make those passes.
JP makes statements that he tries his best to put the best players on the field and he failed the team...

That 49 seconds at the end of the first half was pathetic....first time he was in that position and he tried to preserve a win instead of giving his team a chance to win and instead of trying to get into field position for a field goal he failed.

After all those 4th down plays and on sides kicks he comes to this decision and throws a great chance away and paid a price.....
Also, it was reported that JG was practicing with a rib protector on and lacked zip on the ball. I understand why we couldn't go downfield with him. What I don't understand is why he was playing

Also, it was reported that JG was practicing with a rib protector on and lacked zip on the ball. I understand why we couldn't go downfield with him. What I don't understand is why he was playing

His throws in the second half were mostly floating lofts if they were beyond the LOS, and his sideline throws were low or errently high.

Reactions: Rockyjr
Was hoping I could just lurk around on the board this season and comment sparingly but tonight's game has done it for me.

Why this staff keeps putting Gaurantano on the field is beyond me. I don't remember when he started last season but I will just take a guess and say it happened after the UMASS game.

Since then, in 2017, the only team he beat was Southern Miss. This year, the only relevant team he has beat has been Auburn. I wont take that away from him because he had good stats though most of it was our receivers beating their DB's on 50/50 balls. Including last year, he has 12 TD's and 4 INT's. That is with him playing in 17 games. He has thrown the least amount of TD's in the East by far (outside of T Wilson from UK who has only played this season) since he was named starter last season.

He obviously does not know how to read a defense or blitz packages. He stares down receivers. I would like to know how much of our playbook is handicapped due to his inability to successfully produce at the QB position. Anyone would have good numbers tonight with 90% of the passes being less than 10 yards downfield. Only positives I will give him is that he fights for his team and is a tough kid.

As for the rest of the team, I know our O Line has been horrendous and not very much I can say that is good about them. Our d line and front seven in general is soft and I don't know how the only time we can get pressure is bringing 6 players on a rush or a corner blitz. There are freshman playing that I am glad they are as in a year or two they will be really good (i.e. Alontea Taylor). If we want to win another game outside of Charlotte Chryst will need to start. I don't care about the future at QB because Guarantano is not it. Throw JT Shrout in a couple games as well now that he can redshirt while playing in four games. Unfortunately I don't feel we will be competitive again for another two years at least and that is if Pruitt can bring in top 10 classes. On a high note, basketball starts soon so hopefully they won't let us down.

Is on the bench. Dude DOES NOT have it between the ears. Some of you will figure that out some day.
After that game your on the QB? You don't know anything about football and should delete your account. Maybe take up a nice hobby like baking and forget about football altogether.

We’ll never know how good JG or any QB will be until they field a serviceable OLine. A great QB can’t always overcome a crappy line no matter who it is.

Reactions: kayman1
Is on the bench. Dude DOES NOT have it between the ears. Some of you will figure that out some day.

I'm sorry, was Guarantano responsible for the defense giving up 224 rushing yards? No. He wasn't perfect, but he was certainly not the reason we lost.

You're a fing idiot. Dude laid it all on the line.
He does do that. Dudes got stones, but he’s in lala land with time to think in the pocket. If he takes off running 2 seconds earlier on that last possession, he probably gets the first down. Certainly doesn’t get sacked and nearly fumble.

They took the deep ball away and payed off all night. Did you actually watch the game?

No they didn't. The deep ball was there on several occasions. Palmer was wide open but was underthrows. There was some man mixed in a lot In the second half with the safety playing off Jennings. He almost got killed if you remember.

VN Store

Back