The QB Debate - post South Carolina (merged)

Great qb's think touchdown when they see a blitz coming. They have a hot read or an open spot in the field that they are throwing to. If all you have to do is blitz to disrupt qb's, every defense would do it every passing down. But the qb has to pick it up pre snap or get pummeled. It's just a part of JG's game that he's got to get better at. He's a sophomore that's still learning. I do expect to see more KC if we keep missing pre snap reads. Not because he's a better qb but a more experienced one.

Great observation, I'll just make a note though: JG is in his 3rd year of college, and Tua is in his second. JG has played in 16 of the last 19 games, including starting around 13-14 in a row. That's well over a full season of playing time. He's way past any possible use of "still young and inexperienced" (not quoting you, summarizing a lot of what has been said by others). It's fair to assume he's hit his ceiling for development, as a lot of people are assuming, until he shows something different.

JG will start, Muschamp will blitz. If JG continues to not recognize said blitzes, and turns it over, KC will be in shortly thereafter.

So who was supposed to beat WVU, UF, UGa, and Bama? Shrout? Who doesn't know how to read college defenses. Evidence is 25 INT's in HS. Chryst? Who couldn't win his job back at Stanford as a seasoned SR? If there was a better option, don't you think the staff would have put them out there? CJP said he's putting the best 11 on the field.

So you don't like Chryst. At this point I'd try one of the freshmen over JG.

JG will start, Muschamp will blitz. If JG continues to not recognize said blitzes, and turns it over, KC will be in shortly thereafter.

If it's 28 to 0 when KC comes in the JG worshipers will say he didn't face the same defense and any chance of winning will be gone since our defense will be exhausted from being on the field so long.

Give KC the start and let's see what he can do. In all the games he has come in, other than bama, the coaches have gone to the run game at that point (and in the 2nd against bama) so we really didn't get to see what he can do.

Hey.. if he ain't getting it done pull him. The different look might even throw SC off their game plan.

But start JG and any defensive coordinator is gonna send blitz after blitz cause they know it will shake him up.

If it's 28 to 0 when KC comes in the JG worshipers will say he didn't face the same defense and any chance of winning will be gone since our defense will be exhausted from being on the field so long.

Give KC the start and let's see what he can do. In all the games he has come in, other than bama, the coaches have gone to the run game at that point (and in the 2nd against bama) so we really didn't get to see what he can do.

Hey.. if he ain't getting it done pull him. The different look might even throw SC off their game plan.

But start JG and any defensive coordinator is gonna send blitz after blitz cause they know it will shake him up.

Correct and another crushing shot to the sternum so soon after last weeks game and he could be done for the year.

There are a few guys here who faced with the fact that UT is #12 in scoring O and dead last in total O.... will absolve the starting QB from ALL responsibility. They'll blame any and everyone else for everything that's wrong.

Let that sink in... the O isn't performing but they angrily attack anyone who suggests the starting QB's weaknesses are contributing to the league bottom results.

Great observation, I'll just make a note though: JG is in his 3rd year of college, and Tua is in his second. JG has played in 16 of the last 19 games, including starting around 13-14 in a row. That's well over a full season of playing time. He's way past any possible use of "still young and inexperienced" (not quoting you, summarizing a lot of what has been said by others). It's fair to assume he's hit his ceiling for development, as a lot of people are assuming, until he shows something different.
Tough part of all these QB comparisons is that none of them are in a vacuum. Tua has all american's all around him, though clearly he's a different guy who makes all comparisons look bad. Then you've got a guy like Bentley who's in year 3 @ SC who seems to have regressed this year after two very solid years. Don't know if it's him or his OL or players around him, but something's going on. JG appears to have all the tools, but we don't know for sure how good he can consistently be because our OL is so bad. If he comes out like Auburn a few weeks ago, I think folks will feel alot better that he can string some games together. I do agree that, in year 3 in the program, defense recognition should start to kick in...which worries me. On pure passing ability, he's made significant progress and have alot of confidence in him.

As a former QB and one that understands the position, 0.1 or 0.5(it doesn’t matter) means the difference between a completion or a sack. It means getting the ball out of your hand or tucking and running with it. It means a lot as a QB. Watch the 3 step drop with both QB’s. As soon as Chryst plants his back foot on that 3 step, the ball is being released. JG plants his foot and for some reason is still panning with his eyes. You can’t do that as a QB. Your eyes are panning as your dropping back. That decision has to be made as soon as the 3rd step happens. That is the difference with a veteran college QB and and a newbie. Makes all the difference in the world. I like JG but right now Chryst is much more in tune with the position as far the passing game.

Excellent observations. Two other attributes are pocket elusivness and throwing from a rolling pocket, and again KC excels in these areas. Many folks post here that have never played the position (or coached), but they are passionate to a flaw with their emotional pick. Your observations are refreshing.

Makes sense but why has Chryst looked so poor outside those 2 drives? No doubt you have a difference in experience though with Chryst as a 5th yr senior and Guarantano as a sophomore. Good insight. Certainly interesting to hear from someone who played the position. Who would you play based on the whole season, not just 2 drives against Bama?

That would be play calling. During the last part of the game, it appeared that our OC just wanted to run clock and finish the game without creating more of a QB controversy. I have a bad feeling that the starting QB selection is based on not wanting to loose the locker room.

Excellent observations. Two other attributes are pocket elusivness and throwing from a rolling pocket, and again KC excels in these areas. Many folks post here that have never played the position (or coached), but they are passionate to a flaw with their emotional pick. Your observations are refreshing.

That would be play calling. During the last part of the game, it appeared that our OC just wanted to run clock and finish the game without creating more of a QB controversy. I have a bad feeling that the starting QB selection is based on not wanting to loose the locker room.
Interesting. I don’t agree with the thought on why they have JG starting but you could be right. I just don’t see Pruitt being influenced by that but maybe he would be given his lack of experience in setting the culture of a program. Who you think starts today? I say Guarantano and unless he gets hurt I don’t think we see Chryst much.

Makes sense but why has Chryst looked so poor outside those 2 drives? No doubt you have a difference in experience though with Chryst as a 5th yr senior and Guarantano as a sophomore. Good insight. Certainly interesting to hear from someone who played the position. Who would you play based on the whole season, not just 2 drives against Bama?
What do you mean by "looked so poor"? UT scored two TD's vs UF. KC led both drives. One was for 87 yds, the other 81. Chryst took over for JG with about 4 minutes left in the 3rd qtr with a 33-6 deficit facing 2nd and 10 after JG had thrown a ball incomplete to Palmer that would have been a TD if thrown on time out in front. The Vols scored on that possession and then again on the 3rd of KC's 4 possessions.

JG led 11 drives for 6 points with the longest being 78 yards ending with the TE fumble through the end zone. Otherwise, the longest drive was 51 yds for a field goal. The other scoring drive followed a turnover and went for only 19 yds.

He played mop up vs UTEP and ETSU. He really wasn't given many play calls to work with vs UTEP. Vs ETSU he had one "live" drive then handed the ball off. In that one drive, he was 3-3 and had a TD pass. UT scored in 2 of his 3 drives.

UT has scored 23 TD's on the season. In very limited playing time, KC has led 6 of those drives. Agreed it isn't an apples to apples comparison... but this coupled with what we actually see when watching the two of them makes this a legitimate discussion. KC seems to move the O. JG posts "numbers" but doesn't appear to be managing the O well or making good reads/decisions.

What do you mean by "looked so poor"? UT scored two TD's vs UF. KC led both drives. One was for 87 yds, the other 81. Chryst took over for JG with about 4 minutes left in the 3rd qtr with a 33-6 deficit facing 2nd and 10 after JG had thrown a ball incomplete to Palmer that would have been a TD if thrown on time out in front. The Vols scored on that possession and then again on the 3rd of KC's 4 possessions.

JG led 11 drives for 6 points with the longest being 78 yards ending with the TE fumble through the end zone. Otherwise, the longest drive was 51 yds for a field goal. The other scoring drive followed a turnover and went for only 19 yds.

He played mop up vs UTEP and ETSU. He really wasn't given many play calls to work with vs UTEP. Vs ETSU he had one "live" drive then handed the ball off. In that one drive, he was 3-3 and had a TD pass. UT scored in 2 of his 3 drives.

UT has scored 23 TD's on the season. In very limited playing time, KC has led 6 of those drives. Agreed it isn't an apples to apples comparison... but this coupled with what we actually see when watching the two of them makes this a legitimate discussion. KC seems to move the O. JG posts "numbers" but doesn't appear to be managing the O well or making good reads/decisions.

Those last two sentences... Says it all

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Interesting. I don’t agree with the thought on why they have JG starting but you could be right. I just don’t see Pruitt being influenced by that but maybe he would be given his lack of experience in setting the culture of a program. Who you think starts today? I say Guarantano and unless he gets hurt I don’t think we see Chryst much.

I don't believe that CJP is making this call (subjective on my part). I believe that control of the offense was part of the deal to get this staff here.
If JG is healthy, I believe he starts. With a new LT, the chickens will be all out attacking from the blind side. Since JG can't accurately throw across the middle (to neutralize pressure), and has issues reading pre-snap defensive adjustments (to check out of time consuming down field routes), I don't belive that he will finish this game. Giving these conditions, if JG starts I will loose a lot of confidence in this OC getting us to a bowl game.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

He didn't play well versus Fla. He was 3/7 for 44 yards. Post his actual numbers. The rbs ran well versus backups when he played garbage time. Plus both drives got a couple huge penalties our way.

Its funny you want to claim scoring drives for KC but didn't give JG credit for the multiple drives he put us in position to score then we ran it for a td in the red zone.

I guess you need to give JG credit for the first Bama td if you are trying to KC credit for the Florida drives when he completed one pass and two passes on the two drives. JG actually put us in scoring position against Bama unlike KC vs UF.

I just mean he looked nothing like what he did against Bama on those 2 drives. Even the second half of the Bama game didn’t look the same. And just to be clear, I was asking that guy who apparently has QB experience about what he sees, not trying to argue a point.

VN Store

Back