The QB Debate - post South Carolina (merged)

Team blitz JG because they know he struggles to recognize it and they don't believe in his abilities to check into the right call. Until he proves otherwise he's going to continue to get hit. Jeremy Pruitt made the comment that if he doesn't like getting hit then he should check into the correct call. My issue is if he's struggling that bad and the coaches recognize it then 1 of 2 things needs to happen. 1. Run a check with me offense and let your OC be the brains and call checks or 2. Go to Keller Chryst before JG gets hurt even worse.

Careful. All that logic is gonna upset the JG Friends & Family Club.

Evidently the eyes that see Chryst every day don't see it. He may get rid of it quicker but it also takes longer for the ball to get there. Chryst doesn't have the arm strength to stretch a defense, Stanford knew it and CJP knows it, as would every DC in the league if he was our starter. Great backup because he can manage a game but can't really help this current team win because he has deficiencies that our talent and scheme can't make up for.

At this point managing a game is progress for our QB position. I’ll take it.

The dogs were called off at 28-0. That's when he came in. He saw a very vanilla base defensive front. He was still pressured cause our OL as we all know is pourous. Big difference playing in the 1st qtr than in the late 2nd-4th.

BOTTOM LINE
Keep defending JG but with our current record JG just isn't getting the job done.
Time to try another QB.

JG has like a 137 career ranking, not sure where you got 87.7. JG also is rated very high in some of the NFL matrix ratings.

The rating you are quoting is not QBR rating and
JG had 155.8 in that category for Oct.
and KC had a 195.8 for Oct.
Sure you want to quote those numbers?????

JGs highest rating in the same QB score was a 87.7 against Auburn. That's JGs highest rating so what does that say about his passing effieiency... But if you had a clue you know that QB score is not passing efficiency.
What number are you talking about then? I’m looking at the QB rating straight from the NCAA website.
Stats - College Football FBS | NCAA.com

So what are you talking about? I’ve only ever seen one such rating and the NCAA site itself calls it passing efficiency. I have plenty of clue. I also have the board game. You know you can actually discuss something without hurling insults, right? Don’t let that distract you from the topic at hand though. I wasn’t talking about Guarantano’s rating but that is 148.8 for the year. For their careers JG is slightly higher than KC and this year KC is higher than JG. But that wasn’t the point. The point is that 92.4 isn’t a good number for passer rating or passer efficiency, whatever you want to call it.
[VIDEO=]c[/VIDEO]

What number are you talking about then? I’m looking at the QB rating straight from the NCAA website.
Stats - College Football FBS | NCAA.com

So what are you talking about? I’ve only ever seen one such rating and the NCAA site itself calls it passing efficiency. I have plenty of clue. I also have the board game. You know you can actually discuss something without hurling insults, right? Don’t let that distract you from the topic at hand though. I wasn’t talking about Guarantano’s rating but that is 148.8 for the year. For their careers JG is slightly higher than KC and this year KC is higher than JG. But that wasn’t the point. The point is that 92.4 isn’t a good number for passer rating or passer efficiency, whatever you want to call it.
[VIDEO=]c[/VIDEO]

Jarrett Guarantano

Keller Chryst

The rating you are quoting is not QBR rating and
JG had 155.8 in that category for Oct.
and KC had a 195.8 for Oct.
Sure you want to quote those numbers?????
I see now. QBR is what you meant. All you had to say is that’s what you meant. It’s not hard man. Don’t be miserable. It’s not worth it. But for their career, the passer efficiency ratings for KC and JG are similar with JG slightly higher. Yes KC is higher this year but it’s all based on 2 drives and he has only thrown like 30 passes this year so really small sample size.

S Carolina, Mizzou, Miss St and Vandy will all have new QBs next year and Ky loses a ton of production with a weak qb. We should be favored in every game but 3 next season. If Pruitt is a great one, and I think he is, we will find out next year. Next year's schedule other than Fl, Ga and Bama will all be winnable games.
UK wasnt supposed to be any good this year either, neither was UF.

It's the SEC. SC may get better with the change. The only real glaring change is a top 15 non con swapping out for a team that still good enough to beat you but not a top 25 team.
Fools errand to try and guess where everyone else is supposed to be.

Having said that if they fill the holes on the DL and they fix the OL and JG progresses more they should be all over 8 or 9.

UK wasnt supposed to be any good this year either, neither was UF.

It's the SEC. SC may get better with the change. The only real glaring change is a top 15 non con swapping out for a team that still good enough to beat you but not a top 25 team.
Fools errand to try and guess where everyone else is supposed to be.

Having said that if they fill the holes on the DL and they fix the OL and JG progresses more they should be all over 8 or 9.

Not sure who was saying Florida wasn’t supposed to be good. The lowest consensus projections I saw 8-4 at a minimum.

Not sure who was saying Florida wasn’t supposed to be good. The lowest consensus projections I saw 8-4 at a minimum.

Nobody was saying Florida was going to be "good."

Nobody preseason har UF, UK, and UGA in a 3 way tie at this point in the season for the east. And UF heading to Jacksonville as a top 10 team.

Nobody was saying Florida was going to be "good."

Nobody preseason har UF, UK, and UGA in a 3 way tie at this point in the season for the east. And UF heading to Jacksonville as a top 10 team.

Right, but nobody was saying they were going to be scrapping for wins to get bowl eligible either..... Seems like people on here are saying they were either going to be really bad (4-5 wins) or just barely bad (bowl eligible).

The national consensus on Florida was they would be anywhere from 7-5/8-4 at their absolute worst.

BOTTOM LINE
Keep defending JG but with our current record JG just isn't getting the job done.
Time to try another QB.

So who was supposed to beat WVU, UF, UGa, and Bama? Shrout? Who doesn't know how to read college defenses. Evidence is 25 INT's in HS. Chryst? Who couldn't win his job back at Stanford as a seasoned SR? If there was a better option, don't you think the staff would have put them out there? CJP said he's putting the best 11 on the field.

Reactions: k-town_king
So who was supposed to beat WVU, UF, UGa, and Bama? Shrout? Who doesn't know how to read college defenses. Evidence is 25 INT's in HS. Chryst? Who couldn't win his job back at Stanford as a seasoned SR? If there was a better option, don't you think the staff would have put them out there? CJP said he's putting the best 11 on the field.

In regards to the losses, anyone expecting us to beat UGA-WVU-Bama were fooling themselves. Everyone thought we were level with Florida coming into this season, but Mullen, as expected, has done a wonderful job. And yes, people did hate on Mullen thinking he was Butch 2.0.... They are idiots.

In regards to High school, stats don't really matter. It is the QB camps that do. If you are bringing up high school stats, you are prolly losing the argument. Especially when the guy you are bringing up is a true freshman who is redshirting.

At the end of the day, coaching is what is the ultimate factor. Look at Ainge with Sanders vs Cutcliffe. Look at Crompton with Clawson vs Kiffin.

Right, but nobody was saying they were going to be scrapping for wins to get bowl eligible either..... Seems like people on here are saying they were either going to be really bad (4-5 wins) or just barely bad (bowl eligible).

The national consensus on Florida was they would be anywhere from 7-5/8-4 at their absolute worst.
Right. Which is not good.
Now they have a legit shot at 10-2 even if they lose to UGA Sat and finishing in the top 10.

To the broader point, next years schedule should soften but the idea that its weak is silly at this point.

Not one has said that. Show a link. Some have talked about JG improving. He is in his first year starting full time. Of course he needs to improve.

None of them have written that KC is better in those areas. You are adding in things to fit you agenda.

When was KC great? He never beat a good team. Never had 1000 yard season.

The only five year old is you. You have no argument so here come the childish insults.

Not exactly a sports writer. Just a VFL who went on to play the game at the very highest level for 14 years.

Irwin: Guarantano throws a prettier ball than Manning but doesn't have the intangibles

BTW, two of the four incomplete passes that Chryst threw in the second half were throwaways. Intentional to avoid taking a sack. What a novel idea.

I honestly think that there is more to JT than is evident. There is the possibility that CJP is trying NOT to use JT this year and he will be in the mix next year. If JG doesn't improve at reading defenses we won't have to worry because he will be out permanently. The kid will get himself seriously injured if he doesn't learn.
I agree JG may give us the best chance this year at making a bowl game but I do not believe he is the long term answer.

JG and Worley both played in basically the same number of games in 2017. JG great arm stands tall in the pocket.
JG- 2017 = 26 sack
Worely 2017= 6 sacks
, .....JG is very efficient in every avenue but getting rid of ball and adjusting offense to blitzes
JG could play the person in a horror flick such as Friday the 13th that seem to have no ideal their getting ready to be slaughtered.

Reactions: mccrackb
JG and Worley both played in basically the same number of games in 2017. JG great arm stands tall in the pocket.
JG- 2017 = 26 sack
Worely 2017= 6 sacks
, .....JG is very efficient in every avenue but getting rid of ball and adjusting offense to blitzes
JG could play the person in a horror flick such as Friday the 13th that seem to have no ideal their getting ready to be slaughtered.

Makes sense but why has Chryst looked so poor outside those 2 drives? No doubt you have a difference in experience though with Chryst as a 5th yr senior and Guarantano as a sophomore. Good insight. Certainly interesting to hear from someone who played the position. Who would you play based on the whole season, not just 2 drives against Bama?
You can’t afford for Guarantano to get hurt and lose him for the season. He took a shot against Bama. Chryst, in my perspective has earned the right to start but with an extremely short leash. Don’t risk getting JG hurt worse. Rest him unless you just need him for this game and let him finish the year. He is the future QB unless Maurer comes in next year and takes over.

JG takes a lot of hits even when he passes the ball. He has to try to avoid those even if he has to throw it into a players back or way out of bounds. The problem with taking so many hits is that turnovers are likely and injury is definite if it is like the Bama game.

Tua gets blitzed more than any QB in the conference, here's a suprising fact for you, teams blitz every QB because it's an effective defensive play and always has been. Teams blitz for a number of reasons, weak OL being one. To think that the S Carolina coaches are saying hey let's blitz Tenn because JG is bad at it is crazy talk. Other than Tua nearly every qb in the country struggles when the ol struggles to block the blitz. We've had 7 blocking 5 several times and still let an unblocked rusher get through, I guess JG should have prevented that.

Great qb's think touchdown when they see a blitz coming. They have a hot read or an open spot in the field that they are throwing to. If all you have to do is blitz to disrupt qb's, every defense would do it every passing down. But the qb has to pick it up pre snap or get pummeled. It's just a part of JG's game that he's got to get better at. He's a sophomore that's still learning. I do expect to see more KC if we keep missing pre snap reads. Not because he's a better qb but a more experienced one.

JG- 2017 = 26 sack
Worely 2017= 6 sacks

Darryl Worley, country music star?

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

VN Store

Back