The QB Debate - post South Carolina (merged)

It’s funny that we only look at his Touchdown to Interception ratio, how many fumbles does he have again? Also, all of his turnovers have resulted in points for the other team.

Edit: btw anyone who thinks I don’t get FLVOLs sarcasm, I do. Lol.

Lol, I don't think you do.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Seems they both had little time, but KC knew when to get rid of it much better, hurried or not...

Processed things quicker...

He processed so quickly once with no pressure that he threw it out of bounds into the float because it was covered. Holds it and he had time, guy running a flag route was opened for an easy touchdown. Not knocking the kid cause they usually have not had much time but it was a poor decision. They both make bad decisions at times and neither is perfect. Long term potential growth at the QB position is very important. Playing JG as the starter is going to improve us and is the best chance st winning games in the future and I don’t think KC is that big of n upgrade.

Different than what question was posed.

Someone said he had one good game. He has had several.

If you want to say big wins he has one. Beat a better team than Chryst ever has while KC had a better program in an easier conference. With more chances.
Well I think it is hard to look at stats and not look at wins and losses and to this date JG has one SEC win. Now not all of those are on him but a QB is judged on wins and losses more than yards thrown per game.

I didn't read through the whole thread but I think debating the seconds it takes each QB gets rid of the ball is meaningless. What is important is to get rid of the ball when you need to whether it be a pass or a throw away. At the end of the day, JG was taking sacks and KC not so much. I've never had the impression that JG feels pressure. He just stands there like a freaking statute.
I don't care which one of them plays as long as they play smart, but after what I saw last week I think KC has better instincts and is mentally ahead of JG. JG is lucky he has not already been knocked out of a game and unless he overcomes his propensity to get sacked, he may not make it thru the remainder of the year. Good QB's rarely take sacks and JG has a long way to go in that department. It's not all about the OL although they do contribute.

Reactions: Robtn77
maybe it'll be a little easier this week to "get rid of it"...hopefully the line plays better and two SC secondary players are out...fingers crossed...

GO VOLS...BEAT GAMECOCKS!

JG is a DUAL threat qb much better passing when running 25 % of the time. KC is more of the drop back passer. We have to get JG back to what he is good at or move on.
Can we drop the myth that he is a Dual Threat? He has taken 40 sacks and is a career -89 rusher
Jarrett Guarantano

How do you know I won’t be shocked?

Probably because I’m one of the few that consistently discusses the QB position on here that doesn’t give biased, incorrect, knee jerk responses about how Guarantano can’t read defenses, can’t set protections, can’t get rid of the ball ball, can’t do anything right, blah, blah, blah. He’s not perfect, he needs to continue to improve. But he’s also not the trash qb that so many on here continue to portray him as. He’s a week and half from playing lights out against one of the best front 7s in college football and getting national recognition for it.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
So he didn't have over 200 yards as a freshman vs LSU and UK? He wasnt 70% with no interceptions the first few weeks of the season?

I must be remembering wrong then. I remember games this year and last he played well in.
Does 200 yards a couple times = elite physical talent? Boy times have changed!

Where is Peyton Manning when you need him!

LOL...if going by that article, Chyrst on average got rid of the ball 0.1 second quicker than Guarantano. We can be more generous and just consider the two times Alabama blitzed Chryst and he got the ball out in 1.5 and 1.7 seconds...a big half second or so better than JG. Factually he did better...but we're talking in terms of 0.1 second or a half second depending on how you want to look at things. That's a marginal difference. Chryst did well..not sure why some people want to use that as a slight at JG. Can probably win with both QBs and both have their positives and negatives.
As a former QB and one that understands the position, 0.1 or 0.5(it doesn’t matter) means the difference between a completion or a sack. It means getting the ball out of your hand or tucking and running with it. It means a lot as a QB. Watch the 3 step drop with both QB’s. As soon as Chryst plants his back foot on that 3 step, the ball is being released. JG plants his foot and for some reason is still panning with his eyes. You can’t do that as a QB. Your eyes are panning as your dropping back. That decision has to be made as soon as the 3rd step happens. That is the difference with a veteran college QB and and a newbie. Makes all the difference in the world. I like JG but right now Chryst is much more in tune with the position as far the passing game.

This...
images
vs.

this...
kpro2a.jpg

OMG! I used to sell and support KayPro's!!!

This isn't meant as an argument one way or the other, but the idea of using average release time in one game and drawing some kind of conclusion from it is ridiculous. Jarrett threw 10 balls, and Keller threw 15. It would only take a few calls one way or the other to distort an average. A bubble screen or quick slat, etc. If one or the other QBs threw a couple more of those than the other, or conversely, if one of them ran a couple of more full drop backs than the other.

The only meaningful comparison would be a review of their release times in groups of similar play calls over a much larger sample size.

I know both sides of the great QB debate of 2018 are looking for ammo, but this one should be left alone.

Reactions: hUTch2002
It's really pretty simple to me. Figure out a way to improve at left guard and both QB's are pretty talented. It's amazing to me we argue about the length of time each QB holds the ball when our left guard(s) didn't block anyone the entire game. I'm 5'8, pretty out of shape, and have never played a meaningful snap of football in my life. I don't think our left guards could've blocked me last Saturday. That's the issue that needs addressing. NOT the QB position.

Seems they both had little time, but KC knew when to get rid of it much better, hurried or not...

Processed things quicker...

Is that enough for him to start? It has to be other intangibles that are preventing him from taking over.

He needs to improve for sure. That doesn't mean Chryst is better in that department. They got the ball out in the same amount of time.

Maybe people can stop lying about some mythical miracle quick decision making from a 54% passer who jus had one good quarter and two bad quarters. Especially when the first td was a result of the other qbs long pass.
Maybe you will stop twisting facts some day but I doubt it.

KC made the reads and decisions faster. He made more consistently good reads. Sometimes the best play is an incompletion.

You’re just so completely warped with your idol worship that you can’t admit anyone does anything better than JG or that he has significant weaknesses in this department

Reactions: BeardedVol
DT is a QB runs as much as they throw. JG doesn't get the designed runs like Dobbs. Streeter was a DT. JG, not so much. He got that label from the evaluators from Rivals and 247, not VN.
He actually reclassified himself with the recruiting services to draw more attention

Is that enough for him to start? It has to be other intangibles that are preventing him from taking over.
No. It could be the coaches code JG’s physical upside hoping he would develop the rest.

KC is what he is physically. We don’t know if JG is maxed out on the “intangibles “ or not. The coaches may have an idea by now. Lots of good throwers never become great QBs. Hopefully that’s not JG.

Yes. Like exposing how people's made up narratives are false and agenda driven.

True. He had one good quarter then the second half was worse than JG in the first. Stats don't lie.

You don't score over 90 on the QB scale if you play bad the 2nd half of a game. coaches put KC under center and decided to run the ball the 2nd half. Why? I don't know unless they were trying to limit more injuries at QB since they didn't know the extent of JG's injury.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

VN Store

Back