The QB Debate - post South Carolina (merged)

JG played his butt off, getting hammered time and time again. To say this loss is on him is just asinine.
No, its all on Pruitt for not putting the best player on the field. They left the best QB sitting on the bench tonight. Remember last week...it doesn't do any good to be tough and take hits while not being able to complete a long pass downfield. The kid can't hit the target. He overthrew, underthrew, was afraid to throw...I am going to tell you right now, JG will not be QB next season unless he makes lots and lots and lots of improvement throwing the long ball...This is his second season and he is still afraid to let the ball go. There was one play even the announcers brought it up when Calloway made his cut and he was open but JG just can't seem to let it go on time for some reason. IMO the kid another QB will pass JG in competition next year. Besides that, It is so obvious that people and reporters will begin to call Pruitt out for not playing a QB who can actually hit a receiver in stride

His throws in the second half were mostly floating lofts if they were beyond the LOS, and his sideline throws were low or errently high.
Yep...why let a QB play who continually does that. This is his 2nd year. It's really bad. This one is on JP for sure. Helton did well with both hands tied behind his back..

Keller Chryst could succeed with this line. It’s about football IQ and instincts not arm strength and toughness. It amazes me that a lot of you still don’t understand that.
Amazes me you don't understand 70% completion tonight, 29-37 for 2 TD and 0 turnovers, and half of his 3rd down conversions were after his line false started. Did JG give up 240 yards rushing? Did he false start 6 times? Did he miss tackles?

I've been on the JG bandwagon all year until tonight. He doesn't have the smarts to play QB. Can't make pre snap reads, can't throw a WR open, can't look off safeties , can't make check downs, has zero pocket presence , and has the slowest release in the NCAA. Bentley was better as an 18 year old fr.

I know the Oline is bad, but JG's weaknesses hurt this team a lot more than it has to. Despite the horrible cs last year, I still dont think he has the smarts to play in the sec. Hope I'm wrong .

You’re not

Yeah, Guarantano gave up all those 2nd half rushing yards and deep balls. This 1-man roster mentality where the QB gets all the blame and credit is just flat out old.

It is an old and ignorant take. The quarterback can't be blamed for a poor defensive performance. Guarantano was from perfect tonight, but he did enough to win the game. Undisciplined defense, two dumb unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, and multiple pre snap penalties by the offensive line are why we lost this game.

Amazes me you don't understand 70% completion tonight, 29-37 for 2 TD and 0 turnovers, and half of his 3rd down conversions were after his line false started. Did JG give up 240 yards rushing? Did he false start 6 times? Did he miss tackles?

When it all mattered he held the ball until he was sacked. Did everyone not see that coming. But his int % is really low

No they didn't. The deep ball was there on several occasions. Palmer was wide open but was underthrows. There was some man mixed in a lot In the second half with the safety playing off Jennings. He almost got killed if you remember.
You mean the pass that hit Palmer right in the hands? Yes underthrown but should have been caught. The deep ball was simply not in our game plan as much tonight. We took what they gave us and the blaming of the QB after that game is ludicrous. We have WAY bigger issues right now.

Does he hold the ball too long and stare down his receivers? Yes. Team effort tonight and they failed.

Reactions: Rockyjr
You mean the pass that hit Palmer right in the hands? Yes underthrown but should have been caught. The deep ball was simply not in our game plan as much tonight. We took what they gave us and the blaming of the QB after that game is ludicrous. We have WAY bigger issues right now.

What about the sideline screens he overshot by a mile? If the ball was put where it should have been Palmer would have walked into the end zone.

This dog whistle is pretty indicative of why I think so many seem to hate JG. Eventually someone is going to just come out and admit it.

The dog whistle is wins and losses. JG played well but I think the offense put up a goose egg in the 4th quarter when we needed it the most. Someone has to make a play. The defense was the main problem but because they sucked the offense needed to score.

70% completion tonight, 29-37 for 2 TD and 0 turnovers, and half of his 3rd down conversions were after his line false started. Dumb post

The play calling was affected by JG's inability to get rid of the ball. The routes tonight were safe routes, screens or in the flats and he did better with those routes but once SC shut down the screens and flat routes he was done. And also consider that SC didn't eve blitz that much. If I were a SC fan I'd have been very upset that the SC coaches didn't go to man to man coverage and rush 5.

Another thing and this may be more on the coaches but on the first TD JG got low so the D couldn't see were the ball was and that was a great play for that type play and being where we were on the field but I noticed that JG started doing that later in the game in situations that it hurt his visibility and was of no benefit. Did the coaches have him doing that or did he think that because it worked on the goal line that he should do it all the time??

I now many blame the D for the loss and that may be true but when your offense sputters to a halt your defense is going to lose momentum.

I do know what he did on the last two plays that cost us the game. You should as well.

VN Store

Back