The QB Debate - post South Carolina (merged)

Amazes me you don't understand 70% completion tonight, 29-37 for 2 TD and 0 turnovers, and half of his 3rd down conversions were after his line false started. Did JG give up 240 yards rushing? Did he false start 6 times? Did he miss tackles?

70% completion when like 50% (at least) were thrown behind the line of scrimmage or less than 10 yards doesn't say much. The RBs and WRs had quite a bit of yards after catch.

70% completion when like 50% (at least) were thrown behind the line of scrimmage or less than 10 yards doesn't say much. The RBs and WRs had quite a bit of yards after catch.

This guys been pasting that same line in every thread all night.

JG is awesome at glorified hand offs to WRs and backs in the flat. Yay 70%.

Maybe if he’d throw 20 more passes he could have gotten to 250 yds passing.

SC was in deep cover 2 and 3 all day, they were not letting our WR get behind them, thsts why Helton called the underneath stuff taking what the defense was giving and we wore them out most of the night.

QBing aint our problem. Were good enough at the position.

We have an O-line that is terrible. Helton's scheme covered there inadequacy beautifully tonight.

We have a defensive front that cannot pressure the QB or stop the run consistently. We play a lot of top QBs this year. We thought it was going to be ugly. It is.

Until Pruitt figures out a better way to cover those two deficiencies, then you folks will still be coming here talking about our QB play.

Reactions: kayman1
This guys been pasting that same line in every thread all night.

JG is awesome at glorified hand offs to WRs and backs in the flat. Yay 70%.

Maybe if he’d throw 20 more passes he could have gotten to 250 yds passing.

Exactly. I don't care about his completion percent as much as I care about our wins. Completion percent doesn't mean crap when most throws were thrown between 1-5 yards.

Honestly the fact that we had to throw behind the line of scrimmage so much says 3 things (imo, I'm no football expert so take it as it is just my opinion):

1. Lack of trust in the o-line (obvious)
2. Lack of trust in our QBs arm
3. Trust in our WRs and RBs to gain extra yards after catch (when thrown to).

I do think JG looked more poised today.

Is on the bench. Dude DOES NOT have it between the ears. Some of you will figure that out some day.
I'm gonna comment after Chryst's performance against Bama. RECALL THIS: I was watching Nick Saban coach the Nat.Title Game last year and said "He should give that freshman a chance." That was because Hurts wasn't producing. I about chit when he actually did that but it proved to be a difference maker. I posted some prior to this game concerning the way JG seems to have the inability to make reads. He's late on delivery which gives DB's time to recover. Chryst on the other hand seemed to get the ball out fast. I think I saw JG attempt 3-4 deep balls tonight. All underthrown.....as usual. So the argument is thus: why did Nick Saban start Jalen Hurts ? Because he practices better and gives us the best chance to win ? That's pure B/S and it applies to UT. Remember Matt Mauck UT fans? There are times.....for whatever reason.....just take a chance. JP is willing to go for it on 4th down twice without calling a timeout....isn't that taking a chance? Why not take it another level by changing a qb ? It does confuse a defense in the case of DB's especially.
Even though I don't want to JG was completing throws of 5-6 yds. and receivers were gaining extra yards. I am listening to coach Pruitt on the radio as I type this and can't under current conditions watch the game and run computer at the same time. I've briefly scanned a few boards and many know where the blame lies. UT has the mules....they're simply lacking good drivers. Those main drivers are JP and TH and both gotta a way to go,IMO. a GOOD COACH WOULD HAVE WON THIS GAME! T.Jordan has just led off 2 series with 8 yd. gains on 1st down. Why does TH even attempt to try to throw a pass to JJ to the right with 2 men on him ? Doesn't he have enough intelligence to know the opposing coordinators have enough intelligence to tell their defense to "KEY" on #15. This is like playing chess plus T.Jordan is putting us in good position when we have 20 yds. to go to get into FG position. I called this before it ended. The reason is as always........you as a attentive watcher KNOW what UT is likely to do and to beat it all they do it every time. Thus the trick is simply don't do what they expect and changing the qb isn't out of the question.

How people don't see JG had a good game tonight is beyond me. You all are looking at the wrong thing. If JG ever gets a good oline here, dude is ALL SEC potential.

I still think most of the QB woes fall on the OL. There are plays here and there where JG holds on to the ball too long. But that happens with almost every QB, JG just seems to do it at the worst times. What is apparent is he takes a beating out there on a weekly basis and that has to wear on him. Overall he needs more help. At the end of the day he is serviceable enough to win games with above average OL play.

Reactions: mikernite24
Amazes me you don't understand 70% completion tonight, 29-37 for 2 TD and 0 turnovers, and half of his 3rd down conversions were after his line false started. Did JG give up 240 yards rushing? Did he false start 6 times? Did he miss tackles?
Look at his yards per pass attempt . You can complete 29 of 37 if they are 5 yards or less from the line of scrimmage.

Look at his yards per pass attempt . You can complete 29 of 37 if they are 5 yards or less from the line of scrimmage.
207 yards, had to take underneath throws bc SC sat in 2 and 3 deep cover all day, not letting us get behind them. SC only threw 140 yards or so. Defense lost this game,

The play calling was affected by JG's inability to get rid of the ball. The routes tonight were safe routes, screens or in the flats and he did better with those routes but once SC shut down the screens and flat routes he was done. And also consider that SC didn't eve blitz that much. If I were a SC fan I'd have been very upset that the SC coaches didn't go to man to man coverage and rush 5.

Another thing and this may be more on the coaches but on the first TD JG got low so the D couldn't see were the ball was and that was a great play for that type play and being where we were on the field but I noticed that JG started doing that later in the game in situations that it hurt his visibility and was of no benefit. Did the coaches have him doing that or did he think that because it worked on the goal line that he should do it all the time??

I now many blame the D for the loss and that may be true but when your offense sputters to a halt your defense is going to lose momentum.

The announces made a statement that JG was 50% on throws over 30 yards. Even they didnt know why there wasnt more deep plays called. But keep up the agenda.

Reactions: BisonVol
He will likely close out the season with 18 tds & 5 INT’s and a very respectable completion percentage. I say that absolutely does wonders for us going into a pivotal year 2 of CJP era. Get it together

Reactions: Volanta
I'm not sure we can find anyone giving the OL a pass this year. I'm certainly not, nothing personal. I am starting to have a real problem with O penalties on false starts, illegal substitutions etc. At some point you just look at the damn ball, say like in the red zone or pay attention during the week? Sure defense has shown improvement but they are a step or too slow like some on the offense, definitely not their fault. There is a physical issue out there with the team right now. But a physical limitation is a bit different from skill. Not catching the ball when it counts (i.e. Lights are on), not being able to tackle consistently with authority and not understanding down and distance amongst those limitations is a different story. Overall the game is mental and physical, the latter of which one can do little to change in a short period. Don't confuse the two, mental and physical are two different things generally. Great players embody both. We just don't have a lot of those, if any. And many will never achieve greatness in both.

Don’t care what his completion percentage is if he can’t lead us for scores and win games. I don’t know if we would have won tonight if Chryst played (no one does), but I’d like to have seen him have the chance. JG may be an All American next year and I hope he is, but this year he is not helping us win games (outside of Auburn - I give him credit for that performance). Maybe he would play better coming off the bench (again we probably will never know). If KC starts and flops, then everyone can shut up. But right now, his poise gives us a better chance to win.

Tonight was a winnable game. Worst defense of the year and a QB who reverted to his old bad habits on the final drive when the chips were down.

The announces made a statement that JG was 50% on throws over 30 yards. Even they didnt know why there wasnt more deep plays called. But keep up the agenda.

How many passes did he thow over 30 yards? Guess I could look that up.

He did better first half but without the screens the defense blitzes more... that was the point.

This wasn't JG best game. He over threw some receivers at times but he is still our quarterback. To many people think they know more than people who do this for a living. Coaches are going to play who they think gives us the best chance at winning, not to mention for the future of building the program. A lot of things to be fixed on this team but I can see some good things happening that I haven't seen in a while.

VN Store

Back