The Overthrows (Game Film)

I'm still trying to understand why they keep throwing it deep. It's Milton's weakness. I understand you have to stretch the field and keep the defense on their heels but it's seemed like we threw deep every third play.

Design more mid range passes. He seems to do pretty good in those situations.
Also seems he needs more QB runs.
well because the receivers are running wide-open downfield..

Put Bailey in and be done with it. Milton or Hooker aren't good enough runners to beat SEC defenses on a consistent basis, and their passing leaves a lot to be desired (especially Milton). With Bailey, at least you have a QB who can get the ball to wide open receivers. We win that game Saturday if Bailey is playing.

The overthrows can be found here:

Second drive, score 7-0 TN:
1) Across the middle for first down
2) Payton for touchdown
*Punt

Third drive:
3) Calloway inside 10 yard line
4) Merrill for touchdown
5) Tillman for touchdown
6) Payton on free offsides play
**Field goal, 10-0, Pitt goes on to score next two drives and Vols get FG off Milton scramble, making score 14-13 Pitt

Of these six throws, four should be labeled as egregious. Not bashing Milton, just thought I would share the tape for those interested in re-watching.
Now share the horrible ball he threw to Hyatt.... but I guess he was at least close.

Reactions: BigOrangeCrush32
I do agree if Milton could hit some of these at around a 45% mark he would be the starter. I just don't get how in the world he can sling it like that and be so horrible on a deep ball. He is like 1 for 50 in his career or something crazy like that. Just what I heard could be horrible data.

I caught something about hitting broads and being pert. Lost me after that...

2970.jpg

Regardless he turned it over less than Milton or Hooker have in thr two games they played here
So you take tiny samples of playing time and make wholesale changes off that? What about whatever coaches see in practice? What about 2 years of starting at VA Tech for Hooker? He has a career TD:INT of 3:1. I’m not saying he is THE answer. All I’m saying is all these people saying Bailey is have no idea. Citing games where we didn’t even 20 points as proof of something he accomplished isn’t reassuring and neither is cherry picking stats. Maybe Bailey is the best option. So far our coach, who based on his resume as a player and coach deserves the benefit of the doubt in evaluating QBs, doesn’t think so.

Reactions: KptVFL
Question...let's say Milton can manage to fix his overthrowing issue (most likely a mental block)...he's our best QB, right? Because, our WRs are FAST.

Look guys I'm really at the point where I want to see Bailey. This is a 360 by me after two games. The problem is I don't believe the online can protect a guy that's not mobile.

I think with a healthy Cooper, the OL will be fine. Problem is our depth sucks, and when a starter goes out, it's going to be very noticeable.

well because the receivers are running wide-open downfield..

For real. Everyone would be tearing their hair out if we constantly had wide open receivers and the QB was throwing underneath passes or 5 yard outs.

We should absolutely be taking these shots. Milton has just got to execute. If not, then Hooker/Bailey are well suited to take over.

Reactions: papatomany
Regardless he turned it over less than Milton or Hooker have in thr two games they played here

He had four turnovers in 68 pass attempts - 2 INTs and 2 fumbles, with another fumble saved by Darnell Wright. Bailey turned it over plenty and his primary passing skill seemed to be the checkdown to a wide open RB or TE. He also consistently held onto the ball too long and took 10 sacks in the last 3 games (that's a sack for every 4.5 pass attempts if you're counting at home).

VN Store

Back