The Overthrows (Game Film)

You add that with the penalties, the 4th and 1 late in the game and the int thrown by Hooker to kill the game we had plenty of opportunities to beat a good Pitt team. I almost forgot the injuries and players missing for other reasons
This team can actually be pretty good. I'm very hopeful.

This video shows me that Bailey did a decent job as a True Fr. Our OL looked bad, several olays in there. But also proves is arms strength is adequate. But I agree he needs to get better. If hes not working towards that then he isnt the guy, im betting he is though. Several of the swing passes the wr has to make a move and beat 1 one 1. I would also state that he may not have had a lot of reps either. But he has tools to work with. Oh and ole boy can tun a little, but he is a pass first guy.

He runs a lot better than I remembered him doing! Agree on the swing passes - wish he could have taught JG how to throw a swing pass last year.

Reactions: papatomany
Egretl
The overthrows can be found here:

Second drive, score 7-0 TN:
1) Across the middle for first down
2) Payton for touchdown
*Punt

Third drive:
3) Calloway inside 10 yard line
4) Merrill for touchdown
5) Tillman for touchdown
6) Payton on free offsides play
**Field goal, 10-0, Pitt goes on to score next two drives and Vols get FG off Milton scramble, making score 14-13 Pitt

Of these six throws, four should be labeled as egregious. Not bashing Milton, just thought I would share the tape for those interested in re-watching.

Egregious is putting it nicely.

Maybe put the longsnapper in at center when Milton’s playi?🤷🏻😏 On second thought, he’d most likely still overshoot the WR.

Look guys I'm really at the point where I want to see Bailey. This is a 360 by me after two games. The problem is I don't believe the online can protect a guy that's not mobile.
I agree, I'd like to see Bailey play some against TennTech just to see if the light can come on. I think your point about the OL is very astute as well...Bailey took a ton of sacks last year.

I looked at Bailey's production from last year because some of us are caught up on completion percentage and the NCAA pass eff ratings which were good for Bailey (his QBR was not, however). He started 3 games (Florida, aTm, and Vandy) and played in 3 other games (Ark, Aub, and Ky). He was pulled in all of his starts mostly because Pruitt was pathetic in roster management. Excluding two end of half/game drives that shouldn't count against him, HB led 26 drives which resulted in 6 TDs, 4 turnovers (2 Ints, 2 sack fumbles), 8 three and outs, and another 4 drives that bogged down after a single first down. So, 16 out of 26 drives were very poor. Scored roughly 1.6 points per drive. Excluding his good play against a weaker Vandy team and focusing on his play against the five good SEC teams is where his limitations showed. In his 18 drives against those five better teams, HB led three TD drives, had 3 turnovers (2 Int, 1 sack fumble), 5 three and outs, and another 3 drives that gained only a single first down. So, 11 out of 18 drives were very poor. Scored roughly 1.2 points per drive. UT had 15 drives against Pitt. That would translate to 18-24 points per game depending on which data set used if Harrison produced as he did last year. UT really needs to average around 3 points per drive. Of course his freshman performance was sabotaged by Pruitt's incompetence, and hopefully he has improved and would do better in Heupel's superior offense, but that is what Heupel had video of to review. If HB is not a great practice player, he needs to become one. He doesn't have a great video resume that he can fall back on. He needs to gain Heupel's trust on the practice field.

I've figured out the answer .... We leave Milton in and teach the wide receivers to run faster! Problem solved.:)
Seriously, playing Tenn Tech this week might give us an opportunity to try some things in game situations that could help us the following week. Play all 3 QB's and evaluate performance other than no - hit practices.

There is a natural physics based calculation that goes on in all of our brains when we are physically anticipating an intersection. Happens when you run down a fly ball, when you leap to catch a pass, when you lining up your flip turn in the pool, when you are shooting a basketball, and when you are throwing a football to a moving receiver. Some were born with much better algorithms than others (see Ken Griffey Jr for example). Milton’s internal algorithm isn’t normal. He thinks he’s got it all calculated correctly but low and behold he releases the pass and he finds it’s not accurate at all. To change his algorithm isn’t possible. It’s built in at birth and there is no upgrade mechanism. Over the last four years coaches think they can upgrade it, but clearly they can’t. He’s not going to magically get accurate. He is who he is.

That’s my story. Sticking with it.

1 thing you are excluding.... and its a major thing. Players have some want to under this staff, they mailed it in last season. Also we saw in the spring exactly what Bailey was capable of. I don't care about who was on the field. If he is given time to operate he can be surgical. Receivers have to get into their routes and catch the ball. Bailey probably wasn't ready to see the field last season. Your looking at a kid that likely received little to 0 coaching. When/if he is given a chance to play we will see where he is. It could well possibly be he still isn't ready, it could be he does a good job. I would like to see him get in a game and see how he has improved though.

Reactions: Truth is honor
He makes those throws and we win comfortable. We go up by likely 3 scores on Pitt. They have their long drive and score a td, then when tack on one more go up by 28-7 and break their will. Instead, we let them hang around and settle in, the Tennessee special.

Four for sure td's,six possible,Hooker or average speed Bailey can do infinately better.Milton had at least one with no rush,time,and still overthrew his man.Make Milton stack cases of beer for four hours before gametime using his right arm.To take some steam out of it.GBO.

I don't care who the qb is. I just expect the guy to be able to throw with greater accuracy than the middle line backer and then try not to turn the ball over much after that. Mistakes are ok. Until they become the norm instead of the exception, which is where we are now imo. It's really a shame because if Milton had ANY ability to complete passes with reasonable consistency he'd be a really good QB. But then again, if Elijah Simmons could run a 4.3 he'd be a great running back too. So.....

For real. Everyone would be tearing their hair out if we constantly had wide open receivers and the QB was throwing underneath passes or 5 yard outs.

We should absolutely be taking these shots. Milton has just got to execute. If not, then Hooker/Bailey are well suited to take over.
I rewatched the game today and it's extremely frustrating to see those misses again. We could have easily been up 21-0 within the first quarter.

Reactions: Carp
I get the impression that Milton has that milli-second breakdown in his brain, just before he launches the ball, that he still wants to show how hard or far he can throw it. That's either arrogance or immaturity or both. That or he's blind in one eye and has no depth perception.
If that tendency can't be coached out of him, it's futile to think he'll fix it himself.

I'm still trying to understand why they keep throwing it deep. It's Milton's weakness. I understand you have to stretch the field and keep the defense on their heels but it's seemed like we threw deep every third play.

it's what the defense gave us. Milton just couldn't take it. This offense will not work if you can't hit the deep ball when it's there. Teams will load the box, take away the short passes, play man, and make Milton throw long. That's what Pitt did and because Milton couldn't hit the deep ball, we lost. Should have been up 21-0 in the 1st Q. If Bailey had been the QB, we most likely would have been up 21-0. Hitting the deep ball would have opened up the run game and we probably win by at least 14--maybe more.

I get the impression that Milton has that milli-second breakdown in his brain, just before he launches the ball, that he still wants to show how hard or far he can throw it. That's either arrogance or immaturity or both. That or he's blind in one eye and has no depth perception.
If that tendency can't be coached out of him, it's futile to think he'll fix it himself.
More likely it's inability. Compare him to a baseball player that can throw the ball 98 MPH, but can't throw a strike to save his life. If he can't throw the deep ball better than he has shown at this stage of his career, he may never be able to do it with any consistency.

More likely it's inability. Compare him to a baseball player that can throw the ball 98 MPH, but can't throw a strike to save his life. If he can't throw the deep ball better than he has shown at this stage of his career, he may never be able to do it with any consistency.
I like the analogy.

Yup. In baseball, the talk about the difference in pitching and throwing. Milton just throws, but has zero touch. The same problem that JG had. Difference between him and JG is Milton can still be an effective QB because of his elite athleticism. Can Milton be coached to have better touch? Maybe. But we can't afford to wait around on it. Hooker clearly can run the offense well. And we know Bailey likely is the best pure passer among them if Hooker can't cut it.

I would like to think we will see Bailey this week, especially in the 2nd half.

There is also got to be more to Bailey’s issues than just pocket mobility. There’s a lot of stuff pre-snap that has to be set up and then recognized defensively in just a few seconds. Then post -snap you have the mobility issues that come into the play as the routes develop. All of this happens before the pass happens. Throw in OL snafus and there’s a good chance he never gets to the part he’s best at, which is making the throw.
Could be, but HB did complete 75% of his passes against SEC teams. He had to do something right.

Milton isn’t overthrowing, maybe his receivers are just too slow. Not being controversial and most likely this is not the case, but Joe is getting all the blame just maybe it’s not all his fault.

Milton isn’t overthrowing, maybe his receivers are just too slow. Not being controversial and most likely this is not the case, but Joe is getting all the blame just maybe it’s not all his fault.[/QUOTE

Nah bro. We got a couple dudes with serious speed. It’s Joe, God bless him

VN Store

Back