The Oklahoma Exodus

I never said we could win with bad O-Line, RB, and Defensive play. I expect our running game and D to be a strength next season. The BIG question is going to be our passing game primarily QB play.

I wasn’t quoting you specifically. I think QBbplay is important. Just not THAT much more important than other positions. The TN Titans are living proof of that. So are the Packers.

I wasn’t quoting you specifically. I think QBbplay is important. Just not THAT much more important than other positions. The TN Titans are living proof of that. So are the Packers.

It's that much more important in the sense that you can't have bad QB play and win at an elite level. One of your DBs can play bad and you can compensate, one of your OL can play bad, and you can compensate, etc. You can't do that with QB. You don't need a Burrow to win the NC, but you can't win with a JG either. So I kinda agree in part with some amendments.

It's that much more important in the sense that you can't have bad QB play and win at an elite level. One of your DBs can play bad and you can compensate, one of your OL can play bad, and you can compensate, etc. You can't do that with QB. You don't need a Burrow to win the NC, but you can't win with a JG either. So I kinda agree in part with some amendments.

Take the LSU Clemson game. Clemsons best DB played bad. What happened? He caught 9 for 221 and 2 TDs. I have seen plenty of examples of mediocre QB play yet teams win. Our 1998 NC year was a prime example.

People want to say Tee won the NC. Look at his numbers. He was average to below average. Trent Dilfer in 2000. Tom Brady last year. There are plenty of examples where QBs can play average to below average and still win. But what does it take? A really good supporting team.

Look at Aaron Rodgers. He should have had multiple SB wins by now. Why doesn’t he? He is as good as any QB we have seen in the past 20 years. His defense and OL has been bad.

What team can you honestly name that has had great QB play and bad TEAM play that has won at an elite level?

Also, there is zero proof that if JG was at LSU, Clemson or Bama he wouldn’t win a NC. We are just saying he can’t because of what he has done here. And what’s the common denominator? Those teams have talent we can’t even match.

Take the LSU Clemson game. Clemsons best DB played bad. What happened? He caught 9 for 221 and 2 TDs. I have seen plenty of examples of mediocre QB play yet teams win. Our 1998 NC year was a prime example.

Peyton with Denver is a good point for you. He was awful in the Super Bowl against Carolina.

It's critical the coaching staff puts the QB in situations where he can be successful. I place a lot of the Indiana offensive issues on the coaching staff. Having JG drop back inside the 10 to pick out WRs isn't what he does very well. If fact, he sucks at it.

He won't be ready this early in the year just hope JG has a decent game and with our BIG OL we should run the ball up and down the field just let JG take care of the ball for a ugly win in Norman.

imo we have to score at least 30 points to beat okl. I don't think we can do that primarily running, we have to have a balanced attack.

I think it’d be foolish not to sign full classes because you recruit, offer, and sign people YOU choose, rather than hope guys you might want pop up for bid.

And most transfers are not good enough to make the starting lineup where the are at. There are a few that work out, three come to my mind, fields, hurts, and burrow. But many more don't at ut Chryst, and Hill is still questionable. I rather have who our coaches choose.

Reactions: NCFisher
It's critical the coaching staff puts the QB in situations where he can be successful. I place a lot of the Indiana offensive issues on the coaching staff. Having JG drop back inside the 10 to pick out WRs isn't what he does very well. If fact, he sucks at it.

What does jg do well?

Yeah OL, RB and defensive play don’t matter. Just QB. Everyone else can play like crap but as long as the QB plays good we will be fine right?

Well, actually we have been getting much better play from the rest of the team than at qb. Even Pruitt has said we have to have better qb play. If our qb plays on par with the rest of the team that finished the season we can be competitive with anyone. And it doesn't matter to me who our qb is I want them to do good. imo this is going to be the greatest challenge for the coaching staff picking the right qb from the 6 that are on the roster.

VN is laughable sometimes. Hinging the success or failure of a sport that requires 21 other players, plus a coaching staff, on one player.

Yes football is a team sport, however, the qb is the main one on offense. For example where would lsu be without burrow, Clemson without Lawrence, Ohio State without Fields. Bama without Tua. A below average qb on any of these teams, and they would not have near the record they had.

Yes football is a team sport, however, the qb is the main one on offense. For example where would lsu be without burrow, Clemson without Lawrence, Ohio State without Fields. Bama without Tua. A below average qb on any of these teams, and they would not have near the record they had.
Agree. A good QB can put you in the hunt for a championship game.

A great QB gets you in that game and further.

Hurts was a good QB for both Alabama and the Sooners. However, he was never going to be a "great" quarterback like Mayfield or Murray. That kind of QB elevates a game to a new level.

Reactions: cgrish
I want UT to win every game but we lost to AL, UGA, and FL by double digits last year. Now some think we are going to go on the road and beat a team that just played in the playoffs. I hope it happens but it's not likely.

I'm a Tennessee Vol fan.

I do NOT care who plays what position.

The ONLY thing I care about is my Vols stacking up WIN after WIN after WIN and then more WINS!

That's the only thing that really matters.

VFL...GBO!!!

True duel threat qb gives everyone a problem.
Not as much as they seem to give us. They have ran ramped on us for a decade (at least it feels like it). We can even prepare for it, with no positive results. Fla, Georgia Tech Fla again lol. It seems our D is beginning to change that, though.

Reactions: cgrish
You know, I just looked it up. The Sooners have 11 players in the portal looking to transfer.

The Vols have 10 looking to transfer.

I'd be careful about tossing that "exodus" word around.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
You know, I just looked it up. The Sooners have 11 players in the portal looking to transfer.

The Vols have 10 looking to transfer.

I'd be careful about tossing that "exodus" word around.
Plus the ones declaring early for the draft ... add those in?

Plus the ones declaring early for the draft ... add those in?
Considering there's only two that declared early they are projected will go in the first 2 rounds, I fail to see what your point it.

Should Ceedee Lamb and Kenneth Murray come back another year while their draft stock is that high?

This thread is about the transfer portal, not declaring early in order to paid for their talents. Which both will get paid very well.

VN Store

Back