The Oklahoma Exodus

Considering there's only two that declared early they are projected will go in the first 2 rounds, I fail to see what your point it.

Should Ceedee Lamb and Kenneth Murray come back another year while their draft stock is that high?

This thread is about the transfer portal, not declaring early in order to paid for their talents. Which both will get paid very well.
It’s about roster attrition of any kind which does hurt. Lincoln is a master mind offensively though so I think y’all will be fine. As far as replacing Lamb that will be extremely difficult. Probably have to get a group effort to replace his production. A lot of unknowns and hypotheticals for this game on both sides due to the roster turnover but hopefully a really good game with an outcome that is good for big orange.

Oklahoma isn't some juggernaut by any stretch. They weren't a top 15 team in reality last year but took advantage of an incredibly weak schedule, and beat the 1 team they needed two (twice). They also didn't belong on the same field as LSU in the semi finals. Hurts made them right when they were wrong a lot of the time. Maybe Rattler will be good, but you never know with a freshman QB playing in his 2nd start. We're going to be a very experienced team next year for the first time since 2016 probably (since we've had this much experience). We probably won't have to start any freshman.

At the end of the day, Oklahoma is still going to be talented, but will be breaking in a new QB without much experience for the first time in 4 years. It's obviously played there, which I believe will give them the edge, but by no means is this game unwinnable. If Kansas state could do it, and Iowa state could almost do it against a better Oklahoma team then we have a shot.

You know, I just looked it up. The Sooners have 11 players in the portal looking to transfer.

The Vols have 10 looking to transfer.

I'd be careful about tossing that "exodus" word around.
Most of our transfer portal players happened mid season. So we've already been playing without them. There's just 4 that have transferred since the season ended, a freshman WR, two backup lineman, and a backup punter. We've also taken 3 incoming transfers as well to even that out.

Reactions: CrybabyVol
Considering there's only two that declared early they are projected will go in the first 2 rounds, I fail to see what your point it.

Should Ceedee Lamb and Kenneth Murray come back another year while their draft stock is that high?

This thread is about the transfer portal, not declaring early in order to paid for their talents. Which both will get paid very well.

I'd say (for me) is that we are witnessing your program beginning a massive, downward spiral. You'll be able to win to compensate, because you play in a garbage conference. But, your recruiting is decreasing in an effective manner. Your gains through the transfer portal are decreasing in an effective manner. You are losing players through the transfer portal. You were absolutely embarrassed in January by LSU and the talent in the SEC (including from Tennessee) is not going down. Oklahoma will be a Nebraska in five years.

It’s about roster attrition of any kind which does hurt. Lincoln is a master mind offensively though so I think y’all will be fine. As far as replacing Lamb that will be extremely difficult. Probably have to get a group effort to replace his production. A lot of unknowns and hypotheticals for this game on both sides due to the roster turnover but hopefully a really good game with an outcome that is good for big orange.
Two immediately come to mind to replace Lamb. Rambo and Haselwood. Rambo already had almost 750 yards receiving last year and barring injury, will easily go over 1,000. The guy is fast and slippery making you break ankles trying to keep up with him.

Haselwood is a 5 star that is already averaging over 14 yards per catch and now has a season under his belt. He's poised for a breakout year and we have a pair of gunslingers at QB that can help him get wild deep down field.

Most don't realize we're bringing back significant production on offense to include nearly every one of the Offensive Linemen and a lot of our other players were young this year. They have nowhere to go but up. We will be "breaking in" a new QB either a red shirt freshman or sophomore depending on who gets the nod. But being that Lincoln Riley is probably the best QB coach in the nation, I'm not too worried about it. Tight end is still a question as well, but that's a position we don't use as much as other teams and will likely be Stogner starting and he's already shown he'll be fine at that position.

They have nowhere to go but up.

Up will be your two to three year ban from the postseason. Nobody on the committee is allowing OU in the playoffs in the next two years. Your pathetic performance will unfortunately even get Notre Dame back in the discussion. Thanks.

I'd say (for me) is that we are witnessing your program beginning a massive, downward spiral. You'll be able to win to compensate, because you play in a garbage conference. But, your recruiting is decreasing in an effective manner. Your gains through the transfer portal are decreasing in an effective manner. You are losing players through the transfer portal. You were absolutely embarrassed in January by LSU and the talent in the SEC (including from Tennessee) is not going down. Oklahoma will be a Nebraska in five years.
This is cute. Do tell me which team would have been better against LSU? They embarrassed us, they embarrassed Clemson and they would have embarrassed Ohio State had they played them.

As for recruiting, we've had a top 10 recruiting class the past 4 years with the lowest being this year at #10. Please explain to me how our recruiting is "decreasing in an effective manner." I tend to think most teams would kill for 4 years straight in the top 10. Oh, and those recruiting rankings are higher than Bob Stoops ever got. Lincoln Riley and his staff are killing it on the recruiting trail.

Now, if you really want to talk garbage conferences, let's talk about why the Vols weren't able to get crazy in the SEC during the past 5 years. I mean, other than Alabama and Georgia and LSU this year, there really hasn't been a lot of strong teams coming out of the SEC and the SEC East in particular over the past 5 years. You mean to tell me you can't beat Vanderbilt, Kentucky, South Carolina, Missouri and at least squeak out a win against Florida to put yourself into contention for the SEC Championship? Sure, let's talk about how horrible the Big 12 is compared to the dominate SEC East.

Didn't they already beat those three teams in order to make it to the playoffs? To include beating Florida by almost the same score as they did Clemson?

And why isn't Tennessee in there? I mean, you guys were second half of the season champions. Surely you would have done better in that game than we would have, right?

Reactions: Purple Tiger
Didn't they already beat those three teams in order to make it to the playoffs? To include beating Florida by almost the same score as they did Clemson?

And why isn't Tennessee in there? I mean, you guys were second half of the season champions. Surely you would have done better in that game than we would have, right?

Tennessee didn't play LSU. You asked for teams who would have performed better in a hypothetical manner. I provided you three who did.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
You mean to tell me you can't beat Vanderbilt, Kentucky, South Carolina, Missouri and at least squeak out a win against Florida to put yourself into contention for the SEC Championship?.

We beat all those teams last year. (Well besides UF, but their time is coming). Your is too.

Most of our transfer portal players happened mid season. So we've already been playing without them. There's just 4 that have transferred since the season ended, a freshman WR, two backup lineman, and a backup punter. We've also taken 3 incoming transfers as well to even that out.
Most of the players transferring out of OU are limited use and special teams players that just didn't contribute to the overall scheme. It isn't hurting as much as you'd think. And we picked up a good WR as well just like you did (same school actually).

We're still in the running for some unsigned players on the official national signing day. We'll be fine.

Want to talk about the Vols' record against Vanderbilt the past 5 years?

Nope. Our record against Vanderbilt for five years is not relevant. Our record against Vanderbilt in the next five years is. Try again. Your team is an embarrassment. As I said before, you are getting a two-year timeout (at least). You won't sniff a natty anytime soon. You might pull off a fortunate victory at home next year. Maybe like a fumble-return etc. But I don't think so. '24 You will be another mid-major joke as a we use for a tune up before playing UF.

Reactions: igotworms
Nope. Our record against Vanderbilt for five years is not relevant. Our record against Vanderbilt in the next five years is. Try again. Your team is an embarrassment. As I said before, you are getting a two-year timeout (at least). You won't sniff a natty anytime soon. You might pull off a fortunate victory at home next year. Maybe like a fumble-return etc. But I don't think so. '24 You will be another mid-major joke as a we use for a tune up before playing UF.
You're not real good at trash talking.

keep-calm-and-say-maybe-next-year.png

A good Oklahoma is good for college football. I wish Nebraska and Kansas State would pick their game up too. It at least helps spread out the talent distribution a little bit.

With decent QB play. Boy you said a mouth full there. The entire 2020 season will depend on that one.
Maybe not. With the road graders we have on the OL, we might be able to line up and run over most of our competition.

This is cute. Do tell me which team would have been better against LSU? They embarrassed us, they embarrassed Clemson and they would have embarrassed Ohio State had they played them.

As for recruiting, we've had a top 10 recruiting class the past 4 years with the lowest being this year at #10. Please explain to me how our recruiting is "decreasing in an effective manner." I tend to think most teams would kill for 4 years straight in the top 10. Oh, and those recruiting rankings are higher than Bob Stoops ever got. Lincoln Riley and his staff are killing it on the recruiting trail.

Now, if you really want to talk garbage conferences, let's talk about why the Vols weren't able to get crazy in the SEC during the past 5 years. I mean, other than Alabama and Georgia and LSU this year, there really hasn't been a lot of strong teams coming out of the SEC and the SEC East in particular over the past 5 years. You mean to tell me you can't beat Vanderbilt, Kentucky, South Carolina, Missouri and at least squeak out a win against Florida to put yourself into contention for the SEC Championship? Sure, let's talk about how horrible the Big 12 is compared to the dominate SEC East.
Apparently according to them every team except for their vols are in a downward spiral.. Literally have seen it about OU, UGA, BAMA, AUBURN and LSU. Not to mention they think Texas A&M is over rated because they were 7-5..just like them.. But with much different losses (Clemson, LSU, UGA, BAMA and Auburn) but this is their board so we must be wrong 🤣

Apparently according to them every team except for their vols are in a downward spiral.. Literally have seen it about OU, UGA, BAMA, AUBURN and LSU. Not to mention they think Texas A&M is over rated because they were 7-5..just like them.. But with much different losses (Clemson, LSU, UGA, BAMA and Auburn) but this is their board so we must be wrong 🤣
Well, Texas A&M is overrated, just like they've always been and were always the little brother out here in the Big 12. They had a couple of good years when they joined the SEC and then Johnny Football departed their program and they suck again.

I'm open to having reasonable discussions with Vol fans over the upcoming game this year and I'm prepared to accept there will be a couple of morons who try to trash talk that just can't back it up. I mean, if falling to #10 on the recruiting rankings means we're in a "downward spiral" I think I can gladly accept that.

I'm open to having reasonable discussions with Vol fans over the upcoming game this year .

UT has historically been a slow starting team. All of Fulmer's teams seemed to start slow and get better by the middle/end of the season. Pruitt has not (so far) changed that narrative for me.

It's going to take UT playing above it's head to go there and get the W. I think most realistic Vol fan's realize that. If the OL line performs up to "expectations" and we can grind it out (like the Titans did in the playoffs), it could come down to the 4th quarter. Who knows as this point?!?

One thing about OU. If ya'll want to get back to the playoffs in the next few years, ya'll wont be able to stumble in the regular season. Your history in the playoffs are starting to wear thin on anyone who is not from Oklahoma. The committee is going to start letting 10-2 Big 10 and SEC teams in over a 11-1 OU team, even with a conference championship.

LSU could have laid 80-90 points on you, easily. That would have been embarrassing. :cool:

Then gtfo if you're so much smarter.
Why you slumming anyway

UT has historically been a slow starting team. All of Fulmer's teams seemed to start slow and get better by the middle/end of the season. Pruitt has not (so far) changed that narrative for me.

It's going to take UT playing above it's head to go there and get the W. I think most realistic Vol fan's realize that. If the OL line performs up to "expectations" and we can grind it out (like the Titans did in the playoffs), it could come down to the 4th quarter. Who knows as this point?!?

One thing about OU. If ya'll want to get back to the playoffs in the next few years, ya'll wont be able to stumble in the regular season. Your history in the playoffs are starting to wear thin on anyone who is not from Oklahoma. The committee is going to start letting 10-2 Big 10 and SEC teams in over a 11-1 OU team, even with a conference championship.

LSU could have laid 80-90 points on you, easily. That would have been embarrassing. :cool:
I think both teams recognize the significance of that game as early on as it is. It's as much of a "let's see if Oklahoma deserves the hype and preseason rating we give them" as "is Tennessee really back on the map?"

We also are bringing back a majority of starters and also serious potential weapons on offense. Whether your defense can stop that high octane offense is going to be the question. Our defense has showed signs of improvement over the past year and we're curious if that holds or gets better. If it holds, I wasn't that impressed with your QB play in the bowl game and feel like he's too inconsistent to play against even a Big 12 defense. I know nothing about your backup other than one of them getting hurt during the season.

Regardless, I think this game will be a good measuring stick for both teams going into the season. I know we aren't going to get a good reading from Missouri State just like you won't get a good reading from Charlotte. Our problem is we get our bye week after the Vols and then have 10 games straight of play with our conference schedule and with a team that surprised us year before last (Army). That's a tough stretch for any team.

I don't necessarily agree on the playoff implications of an 12-1 OU not getting the nod, though I don't disagree either.

VN Store

Back