The Official Tennessee Titans thread IV

Lmao. Read Glennon’s twitter. You are going by what AJ said not the actual report. He wanted out plain and simple and it’s obvious. You’re just upset he’s gone and want to blame the Titans and not AJ.

Did you read it? It says "...was apparently thrown around by Brown's reps..." Source, link, basis for statement - anything at all - that Brown himself was lying? I like John Glennon a lot, but this is clicks tweet. He's bounced around from the The Athletic to Broadway to SI over the last couple of years. Agents/reps say all kinds of crap during negotiations, while Brown had absolutely zero reason to lie about it since he got what he wanted financially in Philly and the cap issue with the Titans is the tale of the tape.

Did you read it? It says "...was apparently thrown around by Brown's reps..." Source, link, basis for statement - anything at all - that Brown himself was lying? I like John Glennon a lot, but this is clicks tweet. He's bounced around from the The Athletic to Broadway to SI over the last couple of years. Agents/reps say all kinds of crap during negotiations, while Brown had absolutely zero reason to lie about it since he got what he wanted financially in Philly and the cap issue with the Titans is the tale of the tape.
Glennon is the guy when it comes to the Titans. Even Davenport (who originally reported AJ’s low offer from the Titans) backed up some of Glennon’s story. You choose to believe AJ and I’ll choose to believe the reporter that actually puts in the time to get to the truth.

Reactions: Cheese Vol
And it wouldn’t kick in until 2023. He’s on his rookie contract still this season. Can’t believe we couldn’t pay him as much as Dupree
Dupree’s contract had nothing to do with AJ’s. Simple fact is AJ asked for way more than the Titans we’re willing to pay, he then demanded a trade and cut communication with the team. Titans don’t play that game and he was traded.

Dupree’s contract had nothing to do with AJ’s. Simple fact is AJ asked for way more than the Titans we’re willing to pay, he then demanded a trade and cut communication with the team. Titans don’t play that game and he was traded.

So they were unwilling to pay him roughly the same as Dupree despite the fact that he actually produces at an elite level?

You don’t see the problem here? 20m a year to beat up people in CVS or 20m a year to win games. I’ll take the guy who helps us win games

Caleb Shudak, K, Iowa
Reggie Roberson Jr., WR, SMU
Tre Swilling, CB, Georgia Tech
David Anenih, pass rusher, Houston
Jayden Peevy, DT, Texas A&M
Michael Griffin II, DB, South Dakota State
Ryan Stonehouse, P, Colorado State
Haskell Garrett, DT, Ohio State
Sam Okuayinoua, pass rusher, Maryland

Reactions: Vol8188
Glennon is the guy when it comes to the Titans. Even Davenport (who originally reported AJ’s low offer from the Titans) backed up some of Glennon’s story. You choose to believe AJ and I’ll choose to believe the reporter that actually puts in the time to get to the truth.

The difference between the $22 and $25 is state and local income taxes. That's why Titans for $22. They were $2-4 million apart and the Titans walked because J-Rob was boxed in on the cap. That's also why they kept giving press they wanted to keep him and work it out all the up to draft day.

WR Rumors: Metcalf, Brown, Hamler, Higgins

Latest On A.J. Brown Trade

From 4/29 article:
“We really started working on [the trade] over the last 18, 20 hours” Robinson said last night. “We had discussions back and forth and we realized we got to the point where it was going to be hard to get a deal done.” As a result, the Titans reversed course from their public stance in favor of re-signing him, and Brown has become another beneficiary of the exploding WR market.

The Pro Bowler made it clear that the Titans wouldn’t have needed to match the Eagles’ contract offer for him to remain in Nashville. “I would have stayed if they offered me $22 million,” he said.

Go with your media guys, some of whom run interference for orgs to keep the info coming. I'll go with Titans' cap, economics and AJ.

The difference between the $22 and $25 is state and local income taxes. That's why Titans for $22. They were $2-4 million apart and the Titans walked because J-Rob was boxed in on the cap. That's also why they kept giving press they wanted to keep him and work it out all the up to draft day.

WR Rumors: Metcalf, Brown, Hamler, Higgins

Latest On A.J. Brown Trade

From 4/29 article:
“We really started working on [the trade] over the last 18, 20 hours” Robinson said last night. “We had discussions back and forth and we realized we got to the point where it was going to be hard to get a deal done.” As a result, the Titans reversed course from their public stance in favor of re-signing him, and Brown has become another beneficiary of the exploding WR market.

The Pro Bowler made it clear that the Titans wouldn’t have needed to match the Eagles’ contract offer for him to remain in Nashville. “I would have stayed if they offered me $22 million,” he said.

Go with your media guys, some of whom run interference for orgs to keep the info coming. I'll go with Titans' cap, economics and AJ.

I’d rather go with the media guys than to side with a crybaby that airs his grievances on social media and then deletes them shortly after. Yeah, no way that guy is lying.

Yep. There have been some good J-Rob moves and some real bonehead ones if we are honest. They made the cap issues what they are that created the Brown departure to bail him out. But Vrabel and J-Rob are a lot alike - mule headed some of the time.

Even if Dupree did not have the career altering knee injury, which he did, the questionable character issue even before the pharmacy incident should have been enough to say, "Aw, hail no." in regards to signing him. They spent a lot cap space on less than a 50% chance of success at the position IMO. Sort of a panic type move.

This group - I do like how they addressed roster needs even if I do not necessarily agree with who they chose with some of them. I do like Burks, he has proven to be durable and plays well even dinged up. Has good body control and strong hands. Still don't see the burner outside they need to stretch the field. Still goofing around at TE instead of solving a 4-5 year issue. Still not sure of who the RT will be, but know they will not be all that productive due to a lack of experience. Hope one of the two is the long term answer. Still know we have a C who is about done and a big question at LG with a mediocre LT. Feel better about RB, but I realize now that the scheme they have will be the scheme they keep as long a as J-Rob/Vrabel are there with maybe a small tweak or two in the passing game. The draft picks confirm it. Glad Willis can sit for one or two seasons. His football brain needs development at QB or he will fail even with his good arm/talent.

Not all that high on McCreary, even many Auburn folks call him overrated. Hope for the best. Campbell will be a good contributor on ST, but he has really good instincts and with tackling at ILB. So I like him at back up. I suspect Theo will be a good contributor and not because he is a Vol. Really good instincts and can cover. Sure tackler and gets some PBUs.

Yes! Too early to know if they got the right guys. But, we needed:

1. Two wide receivers
2. A punt returner
3. Right tackle
4. Backup for Henry
5. Replacement for Jack Rabbit.
6. Help at tight end

They at least drafted a body to fit the specific needs.

The quarterback is intriguing. He makes the other teams prep for him. Who knows, he can be a runner / thrower...like a Frank Gifford or Paul Horning. Let him roll to the right and throw 4-5 passes per game as a halfback.

The safety and linebacker help the special teams / depth.

After sacking Joe Burrow nine times, I'm not keen on messing with front seven.

But, there are always a couple of the 6-8 years 'high dollar' guys who don't make cut. To make someone happy in this discussion, there is no guarantee that Bud Dupree makes the roster. Monte Rice is a tacking machine, great in coverage, and ready to step up.

Reactions: Vol8188
Yes! Too early to know if they got the right guys. But, we needed:

1. Two wide receivers
2. A punt returner
3. Right tackle
4. Backup for Henry
5. Replacement for Jack Rabbit.
6. Help at tight end

They at least drafted a body to fit the specific needs.

The quarterback is intriguing. He makes the other teams prep for him. Who knows, he can be a runner / thrower...like a Frank Gifford or Paul Horning. Let him roll to the right and throw 4-5 passes per game as a halfback.

The safety and linebacker help the special teams / depth.

After sacking Joe Burrow nine times, I'm not keen on messing with front seven.

But, there are always a couple of the 6-8 years 'high dollar' guys who don't make cut. To make someone happy in this discussion, there is no guarantee that Bud Dupree makes the roster. Monte Rice is a tacking machine, great in coverage, and ready to step up.

The problem is too many questions marks. There's an x% chance Caleb Farley is ready next season. An x% chance Radunz is good. An x% chance our 3rd round pick is ready to start at RT. An x% chance Burks is near what AJ Brown was. An x% chance Robert Woods is healthy and so on....

The odds that we hit at all of those spots is really, really low. The more likely answer is that this team is going to regress a lot next season.

It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't so close to a super bowl team the last 2 years because before 2020 JRob was drafting at an elite level. But since then our GM has made a series of terrible moves to get us to here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax_Vol
The problem is too many questions marks. There's an x% chance Caleb Farley is ready next season. An x% chance Radunz is good. An x% chance our 3rd round pick is ready to start at RT. An x% chance Burks is near what AJ Brown was. An x% chance Robert Woods is healthy and so on....

The odds that we hit at all of those spots is really, really low. The more likely answer is that this team is going to regress a lot next season.

It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't so close to a super bowl team the last 2 years because before 2020 JRob was drafting at an elite level. But since then our GM has made a series of terrible moves to get us to here.

We will see.

I don't follow the details of the salary cap, because they are constantly juggling the numbers to stay within the cap. However, from that draft class, if it came down to keeping Jeffrey Simmons plus one OR A.J.....I think you have to keep Simmons.

I know you don't agree. However, if it was one of those deals that hung by a thread...A.J. just struggles to stay healthy. His numbers for 2021 were down from 2020; even with Henry out. For a 24 year old, in a position of somewhat 'light contact'...he seems a bit delicate.

Knowing that we going to rely on defense and run the ball with heavy backs. that is where you spend your money. The Davante Adams deal just truly skewed the W.R. market this year. The Raiders overpaid badly, but at least they want to pass. The Dolphins overpaid for Hill. There was a third example.

I truly enjoyed A.J. when he was ready and came to play. However, I don't see that ending well for the eagles if Hurts remains as the QB. But, I dislike the Cowboys so go Philly.

Bud Dupree was a proven commodity for a team that desperately needed pass rush..... When you go on the market like that you're going to "over pay". Keeping the nucleus together is important, and multiple players on this team have come to terms that fit them, paid fairly but was also friendly to the team.

AJ went a different route. The Titans got him where he wanted with incentives but he wanted more. When he didn't get it he didn't play the waiting game and meet in the middle later this summer, he cut off communication and demanded a trade. The rest is history, he didn't want to be here, the Titans realized he wasn't playing the negotiations game professionally, he played it personally. The Titans realized what it was and cut bait and got some return.

Parse it any way you want but this is what happened.

Last edited:
Bud Dupree was a proven commodity for a team that desperately needed pass rush..... When you go on the market like that you're going to "over pay". Keeping the nucleus together is important, and multiple players on this team have come to terms that fit them, paid fairly but was also friendly to the team.

AJ went a different route. The Titans got him where he wanted with incentives but he wanted more. When he didn't get it he didn't play the waiting game and meet in the middle later this summer, he cut off communication and demanded a trade. The rest is history, he didn't want to be here, the Titans realized he wasn't playing the negotiations game professionally, he played it personally. The Titans realized what it was and cut bait and got some return.

Parse it any way you want but this is what happened.

Disagree on proven commodity of Dupree. Ordinarily, yes, he would be. But he had blown out his knee before they got him and had other injuries since. There was never any certainty he would recover fully, just a hope that he might. They took a shot at it because they basically had nothing better.

When has Brown ever lied to the public? Just curious why folks would assume he is lying instead of telling the truth about the offer. Both the Titans and Brown said they were negotiating within 48 hours of the draft starting. Are they both lying? How would you know if they were?

Disagree on proven commodity of Dupree. Ordinarily, yes, he would be. But he had blown out his knee before they got him and had other injuries since. There was never any certainty he would recover fully, just a hope that he might. They took a shot at it because they basically had nothing better.

When has Brown ever lied to the public? Just curious why folks would assume he is lying instead of telling the truth about the offer. Both the Titans and Brown said they were negotiating within 48 hours of the draft starting. Are they both lying? How would you know if they were?

Dupree (according to PFF, I can't proclaim I watched his film myself) was a product of scheme and rarely won 1 on 1s. Rather he was schemed free and benefited from the attention given to Watt and all the other talent on that defense.

We made the mistake of paying for sacks instead of pressures.

So - Philly was willing to make the $100/$57 M deal for a liar with self admitted mental health issues. Good to know.
They aren't a well ran organization lately. They just drafted Devonta Smith last year, what are they going to do when his contract is up? One of them is going to have to go.

They countered with an insane amount and stopped communication then asked for a trade. This information lines up perfectly with the statements and events leading up to the draft. It's also funny AJ was working out with his future teammates in these last few days. I've been very critical of jrob, but here what they are saying makes sense. What AJ is saying just doesn't add up.

They countered with an insane amount and stopped communication then asked for a trade. This information lines up perfectly with the statements and events leading up to the draft. It's also funny AJ was working out with his future teammates in these last few days. I've been very critical of jrob, but here what they are saying makes sense. What AJ is saying just doesn't add up.

The trade was done before the draft for sure. It would not surprise me that his agent had an agreement in principle with the Eagles for the extension and then informed the Titans to work out a trade. But I don’t have evidence of that.

They aren't a well ran organization lately. They just drafted Devonta Smith last year, what are they going to do when his contract is up? One of them is going to have to go.

They have Smith for relatively cheap for 4 more years.

If healthy, AJ Brown is really nice for them. He's a completely different kind of WR than Smith. Here is the thing that I really like about this, and I said the same thing of Hill going to play with Tua...you are paying to find out if your QB is good. In the next 16-32 games, if he can't impress throwing the ball to a really talented WR group, then you know he's not the future and you figure that out before his contract is up.

They're an extremely well ran franchise. They've put themselves in an amazing position. They have a young QB on a rookie contract, who now has enough talent to be able to evaluate him. They have multiple first round picks incase they decide he isn't the guy.

When his contract is up, you pay both if your QB is on a rookie deal. If you extend Fields (meaning he turns out to be a great QB), that's an even better problem and then you flip Brown for picks like the Chiefs did this season.

We will see.

I don't follow the details of the salary cap, because they are constantly juggling the numbers to stay within the cap. However, from that draft class, if it came down to keeping Jeffrey Simmons plus one OR A.J.....I think you have to keep Simmons.

I know you don't agree. However, if it was one of those deals that hung by a thread...A.J. just struggles to stay healthy. His numbers for 2021 were down from 2020; even with Henry out. For a 24 year old, in a position of somewhat 'light contact'...he seems a bit delicate.

Knowing that we going to rely on defense and run the ball with heavy backs. that is where you spend your money. The Davante Adams deal just truly skewed the W.R. market this year. The Raiders overpaid badly, but at least they want to pass. The Dolphins overpaid for Hill. There was a third example.

I truly enjoyed A.J. when he was ready and came to play. However, I don't see that ending well for the eagles if Hurts remains as the QB. But, I dislike the Cowboys so go Philly.

WR is such an important position now that teams who need one and have cap space will pay damn near anything. It seems like they jumped Tackles, D Ends, and CB's in value. It's nuts.

If your front office is good at drafting WR's, this is a great opportunity.

Reactions: Jax_Vol

VN Store

Back