The Official Tennessee Titans thread IV

WR is such an important position now that teams who need one and have cap space will pay damn near anything. It seems like they jumped Tackles, D Ends, and CB's in value. It's nuts.

If your front office is good at drafting WR's, this is a great opportunity.

That's why I'm so down on this move right now. Granted at some point if everyone keeps moving towards the pass, and you stick with the run, there is the potential to find undervalued players and benefit from being different.

I go back and forth on how much of our success is because of zigging while everyone else is zagging or if it's the thing that's holding us back.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
WR is such an important position now that teams who need one and have cap space will pay damn near anything. It seems like they jumped Tackles, D Ends, and CB's in value. It's nuts.

If your front office is good at drafting WR's, this is a great opportunity.

Right! I'm still the old school. Give me tackles, especially left tackle, cornerbacks, and some way to pressure QB...ideally doing that without too many blitzes. The Titans do a great job of lining up 5-6 standing on d-line and hiding which are dropping back.

If we were trying to pass first or had Tom Brady type, I would be more concerned about A.J. But, we were the 25th passing team with Derek Henry missing the majority of the season. So, I can see the reluctance to guarantee $57m to a wideout. We'll see how it goes...

Right! I'm still the old school. Give me tackles, especially left tackle, cornerbacks, and some way to pressure QB...ideally doing that without too many blitzes. The Titans do a great job of lining up 5-6 standing on d-line and hiding which are dropping back.

If we were trying to pass first or had Tom Brady type, I would be more concerned about A.J. But, we were the 25th passing team with Derek Henry missing the majority of the season. So, I can see the reluctance to guarantee $57m to a wideout. We'll see how it goes...

For the simple fact that it seems easier to find a difference-maker at WR, I agree on that one.

The problem for me with ends is many of them struggle to give you much if the rest of the line isn't good and I prefer Belichik's strategy of paying DT's because they are a better bargain and make your DE's look better. With corners, there just aren't that many elite guys and the shelf life isn't usually that long.

That being said, I think I'd keep Surtain on my Broncos over any young WR in the league. Maybe I'd take Chase, but speaking of ridiculous contracts. He'll probably get 60% more than PSII.

The trade was done before the draft for sure. It would not surprise me that his agent had an agreement in principle with the Eagles for the extension and then informed the Titans to work out a trade. But I don’t have evidence of that.
AK and his agent “demanded” a trade. AJ is just acting like he was surprised. He was much more of a diva than people know. The locker room knew it……..fwiw.

Reactions: NYCVolunteer
I'm telling you he never wanted to come back to the Titans. That's why he came back with that crazy counter offer, he wanted the trade and basically forced the Titans hand.

Now he's playing the good guy.

That’s sorta the vibe I’ve gotten from the whole process. I think he was dead set on playing with his best friend in Philly.

He's not wrong, but it isn't something you should acknowledge publicly. There is only downside, in the "media" and possibly the locker room, which is how it is playing out now at least in the "media" (mostly social).

Favre did/said the same with Rodgers, iirc.

Exactly! Ryan could have skipped the first part of his answer. Just go directly to the second thought, "I hope he watches me and learns a lot. Long term, that would be GREAT for the Titans." Next question please...

He's not wrong, but it isn't something you should acknowledge publicly. There is only downside, in the "media" and possibly the locker room, which is how it is playing out now at least in the "media" (mostly social).

Favre did/said the same with Rodgers, iirc.
Yeah, not a good look that the first thing he said after being asked about him was "it isn't my job to mentor him." It hadn't even been hinted at or suggested that it was. He's 100% right, it isn't his job, but poorly handled. Just say something like "Good to have him in our QB room, he's really talented" and move on.

Reactions: Vols4us and Jax_Vol
No, it will come down to his play. He will stay or go based on them and him playing winning football. The QB room is secondary, especially since we are talking about a guy that likely doesn’t have top tier talent in Willis.

AJ's made some comments recently that indicate Philly may have "tampered". Nothing going to come of it but it lends further credence to the story that AJ wasn't coming back and told the Titans as much. Then Philly comes through with the offer.

AJ said Hurts "made the decision easier". AJ wasn't a free agent, there wasn't a decision, except to tell the Titans he was holding out and demanding a trade.

Dianna Russini was on Russillo's pod painting a narrative that Tannehill gave his all when he had to unseat Mariota, but with recent history, you got him pooping the bed in the playoffs, skipping the first voluntary workouts this year, and she surmised that one big reason for drafting Willis was to kick RT in the ass.

I just hope Tanny comes out of his "dark place". Not nearly vested as him, and got say I am shook. This could get ugly when one loses confidence. He played unafraid 2 years ago and now I suspect the demons may be inside his head.

Reactions: Vols4us
Tannehill is the best QB the Titans have had since McNair. The media and the fans are giving him way to much hell IMO. They want to talk about his performance last year, but look at the situation he had to deal with at wr and TE. That was a weak as hell cast due to injuries and Julio being a flop.
3 INT’s in a playoff game when your defense had 9 sacks and he had his full compliment of weapons, didn’t speak after the game , didn’t speak the next day during locker clean out, and didn’t show up to the first week of voluntary workouts. I do agree that he caught too much hell during the season, but since the Bengals game on he’s brought that upon himself.

Reactions: TJVol95
Tannehill is the best QB the Titans have had since McNair. The media and the fans are giving him way to much hell IMO. They want to talk about his performance last year, but look at the situation he had to deal with at wr and TE. That was a weak as hell cast due to injuries and Julio being a flop.
IDE take Neil O and Kerry Tom Collins

Reactions: peaygolf

VN Store

Back