The Official Tennessee @ Georgia Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, ESPNU

I'm done. We lose this one big.

Barnes may very well be regressing
give me a break! VOLS have lost their top 5 players from last years team ( 6 the way Bowden has struggled), recently added 2 players to the rotation, and you think he could be regressing? I guess Cal has regressed also since they lost to USC whom we beat.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
One thing that I would like to see Barnes and his staff do is let the team push tempo at every opportunity to get some easier baskets because they are not generating enough turnovers on the defensive end.

Edwards could possibly be better than Wilkins was at Georgia and he is certainly a first round pick in the NBA Draft.

James had a solid game.
Barnes on his comments after the game said his points our not pushing the ball even though he is asking them to do so.

Coaching is not all about standing during the entire game, screaming from the rooftop and sweating out of your jacket.

There is this thing in dancing that you never show you are practicing your dance moves in front of people. You practice behind the scenes.

I like Barnes composure. That is the way he coach. You are not going to get progressively better in 40 minutes. They were coaching the guys during timeouts.
I don't expect him to be a moving Carnival target like Crean or a madman like Pearl. But the team did seem to pick it up when Barnes got out of his seat late in the second half.

I don't expect him to be a moving Carnival target like Crean or a madman like Pearl. But the team did seem to pick it up when Barnes got out of his seat late in the second half.

I have come up with this anology to explain what has happened to the team this year.

Turner and Bowden's failure this season is why the team looks this bad. I don't think anybody had a clue Turner was that hurt. Also, who knew a 4 year play that was once viewed as a consistently good shooter would play so bad over a long stretch. I mean we've seen it before but most seemed optimistic because he was a veteran.

I don't think many wanted or expected to have to rely on so many young players to have to be competent so quickly.

So I offer this analogy. It was like taking a new sedan. A small one. It's not the fastest car but it's new. It's not a lemon. But you take and drain all the oil. Get in and out it to the pedal then throw a rod. That is what happened. Yet the team still has a little like at 10-6. At least for right now.

We just don’t have a “go to” scorer this year. Our offense looks like a bunch of guys who just pass it off and don’t want to be the guy to score.

This is exactly it......I really don’t know......but it
“Looks” like no one.....wants to be “that” guy having to shoot it and miss it.

Bowden will do it.....but I think this is all in his head now....(making it worse than it should be).....he thinks he’s going to miss.....he is forced to shoot.....and miss.....and the cycle continues.

Seems like Vescovi “will” do it, but he needs a bit more space than someone like Bowden....so he (Vescovi) can’t always take them.

But for the most part......they just pass it off.

“If” Turner and Bowden are both shooting and hitting (at least some) it makes it much easier on both of them......as neither can be concentrated on “solely.”........this also opens things up for players like Pons and other guys.

Now virtually no one is hitting shots......and “everyone” can stay guarded.....help doesn’t have to come......this makes the shooting woes......even worse.....and trickles down to everyone else......simply from the opponents D stand point.

Reactions: DocVOLiday
Vols offense lately is passing it around until we find someone with an open 3...then clank. They rarely get layups. Oh well help is on its way next season.

Vols offense lately is passing it around until we find someone with an open 3...then clank. They rarely get layups. Oh well help is on its way next season.

Yea a lot of that is on unwillingness to drive (or simple inability).....but a lot of it has to do with the players not hitting shots.

If their not going to hit shots......the floor doesn’t have to open up as much as it could.......therefore creating a “better” lane (or in some cases a lane open long enough).

He has a NBA body but nothing about his game makes me think he will be in the NBA and I might eat my words before he leaves but right now there is no way he sees the NBA. He can rebound and if he scores ,its usually in the 1st half and then disappears. He plays lazy D and he really cant dribble. I will be more than glad to eat my words if he all of a sudden goes crazy

Exactly, but because he has the measurables, with a decent year (Hes not a one and done) he'll be a second round pick.

Some team will put him in the G-League and see if he pans out.

He could be the next Robert Hubbs and not get it figured out until his senior year.

I'm believing that Barnes will mold him into a solid player though.

Where all those dopes that talked about how we would be a better team without Lamonte because he struggled shooting?
Yep, I would def take him back with his injured shoulder, he could start and we’d have Bowden come off the bench for a bit. Right now, we just don’t have enough ball handling or creating on offense.

Just a terrible offensive strategy tonight. Fulky touched the ball like three times, Pons et al jacking low % threes, every drive got kicked back out, . . . We are really struggling for an identity.
Wasn't the strategy. another example of a team not doing what they're taught, ignoring the scouting report and going thru the motions.
Barnes' Presser:

Reactions: FrankenVol54
Wasn't the strategy. another example of a team not doing what they're taught, ignoring the scouting report and going thru the motions.
Barnes' Presser:

Really weird how he has issues this year getting his team to listen to them. I don’t remember this being a problem before.

Vol fans will defend a 5 star football player to the death but let a basketball 5star come in and not dominate in first year & they immediately throw him to the curb. Strange.

Vol fans will defend a 5 star football player to the death but let a basketball 5star come in and not dominate in first year & they immediately throw him to the curb. Strange.
Well...I don’t know about that. Just wait until next football season if Harrison Bailey isn’t the starting QB from day one. There will be all kinds of hot takes calling him a bust.

Well...I don’t know about that. Just wait until next football season if Harrison Bailey isn’t the starting QB from day one. There will be all kinds of hot takes calling him a bust.

The coach will catch hell. Then if he doesn't play well it will be on the OC. Then the OL and WRs. It will be year 3 before anyone attacks a 5 star qb

VN Store

Back