The Official NASCAR Talk Thread

The question I have is that why does no other sport seem to have that problem? Is it a demographic thing? NASCAR fans hit harder by economic crisis (the depths of which were hit a decade ago) and can't afford hotels? I can't see that to an extent, but there are a lot of rednecks with money who used to go to NASCAR races. What happened?

Also, if the hotels are too expensive, the prices would come down. Clearly they are renting the rooms to someone. Why is a hotel going to price itself out of business?
Why do you say they are renting them?
We aren't talking about a hotel/motel in Atlanta, Charlotte etc.. this is the tri-cities. These rooms probably rent from anywhere from $75 to $150 any other time however they just jack the price during race weekend.

Why do you say they are renting them?
We aren't talking about a hotel/motel in Atlanta, Charlotte etc.. this is the tri-cities. These rooms probably rent from anywhere from $75 to $150 any other time however they just jack the price during race weekend.
"Renting" just meaning getting a hotel room. I imagine these hotels around the track didn't have huge blocks of unsold rooms during race weekend - people are paying those prices, otherwise prices would come down. Hotel prices get jacked in any place the week of a big event like this, yet no other big events have these attendance problems.

Is jacking hotel room prices a new phenomenon the week of this race? I highly doubt it. It sounds like NASCAR is looking for excuses and doesn't want to admit the product sucks and they alienated their core fanbase beginning about 15 years ago when they tried to make NASCAR a national sport.

What do you mean screaming?

Somebody was testing and screaming down the backstretch as I was passing by to go to smokin thighs(best wing place in Nashville). Smacking the rev limiter hard.

Gave me the chills while also wanting to go try it myself.

Last edited:
"Renting" just meaning getting a hotel room. I imagine these hotels around the track didn't have huge blocks of unsold rooms during race weekend - people are paying those prices, otherwise prices would come down. Hotel prices get jacked in any place the week of a big event like this, yet no other big events have these attendance problems.

Is jacking hotel room prices a new phenomenon the week of this race? I highly doubt it. It sounds like NASCAR is looking for excuses and doesn't want to admit the product sucks and they alienated their core fanbase beginning about 15 years ago when they tried to make NASCAR a national sport.
The whole motel rooms with jacked up prices is an excuse. I live in the tri cities and all of the rooms in this area have been getting jacked up to $2-300+ for many years. It was definitely going on back when tickets were sold out years in advance.. NASCAR is dead because they pissed on their roots and the fans that were around way before going to a nascar race became the stylish thing to do like it was around here in the mid- late 90s That and you have a bunch of pretty boys trying to be passed of as race drivers.

The whole motel rooms with jacked up prices is an excuse. I live in the tri cities and all of the rooms in this area have been getting jacked up to $2-300+ for many years. It was definitely going on back when tickets were sold out years in advance.. NASCAR is dead because they pissed on their roots and the fans that were around way before going to a nascar race became the stylish thing to do like it was around here in the mid- late 90s That and you have a bunch of pretty boys trying to be passed of as race drivers.
They definitely did do a complete sell-out to appeal to a broader fanbase, that was never going to stick around that long anyway.

I'm honestly surprised NASCAR ever became a national sport, even for the short time that it did. It has such parochial roots (don't mean that as an insult, just a fact) that a broader fanbase wasn't likely to ever truly "get it," but the certainly did dabble in it there for a while.

I think a decline in the overall popularity of the car culture has a lot to do with it too. People in their 20s and 30s, by and large, don't really care a whole lot about cars. They are simply a means to an end - they get you from point A to point B. Driving, tinkering with your car, etc. is an inconvenience, not a hobby like it used to be. Most of the NASCAR fans I know could be described as "car guys" - they know a lot about cars, have an old car they might work on, like driving that old car, etc. That isn't something many younger people do anymore.

Grand marshall of Xfinity race actually said "Gentlemen start your engines".
Love it. Annoys me when people say "Drivers start your engines" , even if there's several women in the race. The "most famous words in motorsports" starts with "Gentlemen" not "Drivers"

Love it. Annoys me when people say "Drivers start your engines" , even if there's several women in the race. The "most famous words in motorsports" starts with "Gentlemen" not "Drivers"
While I understand "tradition," drivers is more fitting IMO

Other sports are trying to have less judgement calls. It seems like NASCAR is trying to create more of them. These uncontrolled tire penalties are petty. Setting the tire for a second or two until you can move it over to the wall is not uncontrolled. Never mind that NASCAR created the problem in the first place by taking away one of the tire carriers.

Too many men over the wall, pitting too soon, speeding penalty, damaged car policy. It seems like NASCAR wants to come up with more and more reasons to call ticky tack penalties.

Other sports are trying to have less judgement calls. It seems like NASCAR is trying to create more of them. These uncontrolled tire penalties are petty. Setting the tire for a second or two until you can move it over to the wall is not uncontrolled. Never mind that NASCAR created the problem in the first place by taking away one of the tire carriers.

Too many men over the wall, pitting too soon, speeding penalty, damaged car policy. It seems like NASCAR wants to come up with more and more reasons to call ticky tack penalties.
Right? Just let em race

I agree with every single point your making in this post but if the idea behind them is to get people talking about it and talking about the sport it’s working. Look no further than this thread for proof. Some of these calls lately have been absolutely stupid. I will give them credit though, at least they seem to be consistent on making the calls no matter how small they seem to be. What goes for one seems to go for all.

Hope you’re still healing well bud!

I agree with every single point your making in this post but if the idea behind them is to get people talking about it and talking about the sport it’s working. Look no further than this thread for proof. Some of these calls lately have been absolutely stupid. I will give them credit though, at least they seem to be consistent on making the calls no matter how small they seem to be. What goes for one seems to go for all.

Hope you’re still healing well bud!
I agree that they do seem to be more consistent than they have been in the past.

I'm hanging in there day by day. I start chemo and radiation treatments on Wednesday. Thanks for asking!

Reactions: Vol$_Deep_11_9
I agree that they do seem to be more consistent than they have been in the past.

I'm hanging in there day by day. I start chemo and radiation treatments on Wednesday. Thanks for asking!
Dang buddy I didn’t know you were having to go through all that. You got my thoughts and prayers man, that’s not easy to go through.

NASCAR trying to be PC.

Dang buddy I didn’t know you were having to go through all that. You got my thoughts and prayers man, that’s not easy to go through.
Thank you my friend. Yeah, when they removed the tumor, they sent it off for a biopsy, and it came back cancer. I've been seized a couple of oncologists, and this is what they feel like they need to do. I'm just doing what the doctors say and trusting in God.

Reactions: Vol$_Deep_11_9
Thank you my friend. Yeah, when they removed the tumor, they sent it off for a biopsy, and it came back cancer. I've been seized a couple of oncologists, and this is what they feel like they need to do. I'm just doing what the doctors say and trusting in God.
That’s all a man can do. God and a good doctor can do anything. It sounds like they have hopefully caught it early enough to take care of business.

Put this sucker up to a vote. I would vote "hell yes".

Or, maybe with all these NASCAR guys so hyped on the place lately (Dale Jr., Kyle Busch, Harvick, Waltrip) maybe they could throw some money together and get it done.

Heck if I had millions sitting around I would pay for the whole thing myself. Plus I would personally buy a new house for every douchenozzle in the area that complains about track noise in an area far from the track.

Even if NASCAR doesn't come back, man, I hope we get to at least keep the track. Not sure why Sledge and "his constituents" are so hardcore anti-track.......well, here I go ranting again......sorry, I'll step away.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol

VN Store

Back