The Official NASCAR Talk Thread

Thing about dirt, the cars aren't really made for it. And a good percentage didn't race dirt growing up.
A good percentage didn’t race road courses either. It would be wild as hell to see. They have the technology to build them a dirt car. Guarantee if they put them on dirt it would be the best race of the year

I would love it if they would do a couple of dirt races a year. A Bristol race as a dirt track would be cool. They have done dirt before so it's possible. I could see a couple of teams bringing in somebody like Jimmy Owens or Bloomquist to do a one off race in their car. Gets my blood pumping to think about it.

I have a sneaky suspicion that one of those races will be on the Pocono road course.
That would be expensive for the race teams. The big teams at least, would most likely bring 2 haulers with 1 primary and 1 backup cars per race.

That would be expensive for the race teams. The big teams at least, would most likely bring 2 haulers with 1 primary and 1 backup cars per race.

Though not a bad idea, I don't see how they would do it. They would have to allow teams practice times on both layouts. Surely there's quite a bit of stuff that would have to be added/moved to set it up for the road course. They wouldn't want to hastily throw up some barriers for driver safety purposes (or at least that's the excuse that would be given to not do both).

Though not a bad idea, I don't see how they would do it. They would have to allow teams practice times on both layouts. Surely there's quite a bit of stuff that would have to be added/moved to set it up for the road course. They wouldn't want to hastily throw up some barriers for driver safety purposes (or at least that's the excuse that would be given to not do both).
They'll have overnight to set the course up. I dont see why they would have 2 boring ass pocono races back to back if they're not gonna change it up. Might as well just eliminate one of the races.

They'll have overnight to set the course up. I dont see why they would have 2 boring ass pocono races back to back if they're not gonna change it up. Might as well just eliminate one of the races.
I'm not saying it's impossible or that they shouldn't do it. Just predicting an excuse that will be given for not doing it. Though they could easily have Thursday set up regular track for practice and qualifying. Then Friday practice and qualify on road course. Saturday road course, take the stuff down that night and have race on regular track on Sunday.

Edit: Well, looking at the layout of the road course, there would hardly be any changes necessary on main course, so it's very doable.

I know many may like it, but to me the racing has sucked so far this year. I know some of the racing may be tighter, but its not better. Something has to give....more horsepower back, tires that wear out over a fuel run, faster throttle response....something.

Pocono/Indy with this current setup will be a disaster.

Reactions: hog88
I know many may like it, but to me the racing has sucked so far this year. I know some of the racing may be tighter, but its not better. Something has to give....more horsepower back, tires that wear out over a fuel run, faster throttle response....something.

Pocono/Indy with this current setup will be a disaster.

Better downforce. I’m nervous to see how this package appears at Talladega in a few weeks.

Latest on fairgrounds..

I knew that stupid soccer stadium would cause problems. Why not let the soccer team play at the Titans stadium ? Or maybe build the soccer stadium in any of thousands of other locations ?

The whole "quality of life" BS ticks me off more than anything. Anyone that lives close to the track beaching about track noise, there's a special place reserved for them in a fiery eternity. The Fairgrounds is the 2nd oldest asphalt track in America, so anyone living close to the track knew it was there when they moved in. Forget the whole flood plain and it being right next to the junk part of town, stupid hipster douchenozzles and their gentrifying jerktails.
Another thing with the "too many events" possibility, the current promoter is limited to about 7 events a year (they used to race basically every Saturday from April-October when I was growing up). The ARCA race and the Outlaws race was scheduled by the very group that limits the regular division racing, so they at least realize there's money to be made with racing.

Also, why in the world is it even remotely okay that the Fair Board is just handing over all this land to be developed ? Seems to go against the whole referendum thing from a few years ago. Seems like more backdoor bull to get what Karl Dean attempted to do several years ago. Why some particular rich jerks apparently hate racing so much they want to shut the place down is beyond me but contributions/bribes is about the only reason I can see why so many folks on the board keep voting things through that hurt the place.

Having major NASCAR events would be awesome, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us continue to have our local events if nothing else.

Ahhhhhhhhh. I know I'm rambling and probably not making full sense. The Fairgrounds track issue is a huge deal and gets me worked up. One thing for sure, if that flippin soccer stadium causes me to lose my racing, soccer (and the fanbase of the team) will quickly jump to the top of my list of things I hate (move over Gators, Bama, and Blackhawks).

I'm probably not reading this whole thing right and just ranting like a lunatic. Going to stop now, still going to post so you all can enjoy by psychotic break.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
I understand that Bristol changed but dang that place is empty. It's not gotten so bad for 80,000 people to not show up.
The night race still gets good attendance. Why wouldn't the day race be able to draw? It's the same quality racing.

Wondering if chance of rain has kept people coming this afternoon? Still, I said the same thing. It’s not the same as it once was, it got awful for a while when they had 2-3 grooves, but they made it some better. This has been a good race so far. Should never have made any changes to it to begin with though

Kudos to Harvick today. Had the fastest car but could never recover from his preface penalty and a loose wheel.

Kudos to Harvick today. Had the fastest car but could never recover from his preface penalty and a loose wheel.
Harvick had one of the best cars for sure. Ridiculous it took that many times to get through inspection. I thought that early caution was going to save him but somehow had a loose wheel that set him back 4 laps. I assume that wheel was loose at the beginning of the race, don't think they had made a stop at that point.

Then to slide up and hit the wall just after driving through the field and getting one of his laps back the old school way, that hurt. One second earlier and he saves that lap and is able to get back on the lead lap with about 60 to go instead of 20, would have had a shot and getting better than he did.

Stinking rain in the forecast has caused the All American 400 makeup scheduled for this Sunday to be cancelled. The local divisions were rescheduled for Saturday April 20th. The AA400 looks to be just outright cancelled (they will still have this year's official AA400 in November).

The question I have is that why does no other sport seem to have that problem? Is it a demographic thing? NASCAR fans hit harder by economic crisis (the depths of which were hit a decade ago) and can't afford hotels? I can't see that to an extent, but there are a lot of rednecks with money who used to go to NASCAR races. What happened?

Also, if the hotels are too expensive, the prices would come down. Clearly they are renting the rooms to someone. Why is a hotel going to price itself out of business?

VN Store

Back