The OFFICIAL DUKE/UNC B-BALL THREAD 2019/2020 (BETTER, FASTER, STRONGER THAN EVER)

Haha I like it. I remember State having Corchiani and Rodney Monroe “Fire and Ice” along with Chucky Brown. They were really good then. Gugliotta was really good too.

TJ Warren went to my high school. I played pick up with him right before he went to State. That guy was unbelievable.

'Dirty' Dan Wells was a favorite at Reynolds...he didn't shoot all that well....but when he was guarding you---you didn't either!

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Jack Mullen, John Frye, Heyman, Kistler and Youngkin and good ole Howard Hurt...tough bunch. I am trying to find out out if Matthew Hurt is any relation to Howard
I don’t know if there is any relation to Hurt. I do hear that there is strong possibility that Hurt is leaving. Which I find to be mind numbingly dumb.

Those early 60s guys were a tough bunch. Like you said Heyman, Mullen and Mullin those guys all played hard and with an edge. I think a lot of those guys were from Brooklyn and some of the other Boroughs. Some of those 30 for 30’s or documentaries I’ve seen about Tobacco Road are really interesting, especially talking about how the rivalries were shaped.

I don’t know if there is any relation to Hurt. I do hear that there is strong possibility that Hurt is leaving. Which I find to be mind numbingly dumb.

Those early 60s guys were a tough bunch. Like you said Heyman, Mullen and Mullin those guys all played hard and with an edge. I think a lot of those guys were from Brooklyn and some of the other Boroughs. Some of those 30 for 30’s or documentaries I’ve seen about Tobacco Road are really interesting, especially talking about how the rivalries were shaped.

until Carolina got caught cheating, The Dixie Classic was the best tournament around except for the NCAA's IMHO. State, Wake, Dook and UNC would invite four other big time programs to Tobacco Road. I remember when the Big 'O' came to Raleigh, beat State then lost to Wake & Carolina...He was a beast.

A day after Duke probably would’ve won Coach K’s sixth NCAA title Cassius Stanley declares for the NBA.

@Lawrence Wright I get why RDU hates Roy, but why do you? I mean he is kind of an unlikable guy, but you seem to have the same hatred that a Dukie would.

My hatred for Roy dates back to the turn of the century. He tried to turn in Billy Donovan to the NCAA after UF got commitments from Matt Bonner and Mike Miller.

Roy and Billy HATED each other, and as the story goes, they had several expletive laden phone calls while all this was going down.

So, in summary, I’m holding a two decade old grudge against what will surely be a HoF coach because he accused my former coach (also HoF worthy) of cheating.

F Roy in spite of my pettiness.

@Lawrence Wright I get why RDU hates Roy, but why do you? I mean he is kind of an unlikable guy, but you seem to have the same hatred that a Dukie would.

I really don’t hate Roy. He’s a rival, he’s easy to pick on with his aww shucks schtick and I think he likes the camera a bit too much at times. Overall, the people I know that have met him or worked with him in some capacity say he’s a really nice guy . I like to get @Lawrence Wright all jacked up about it and let him do my heavy lifting. It’s kind of his calling card when it comes to these Duke/UNC threads.

I’d say UNC fans (not the ones on this board so much) are much more vile towards K than Duke fans are towards Huckleberry. Now if we want to talk about the Dirt-less, perfect, all knowing legend of Dean Smith I have some animosity. Mostly because everyone talks like Dean was some larger that life person that was without fault. However, that is a conversation for another day.

I really don’t hate Roy. He’s a rival, he’s easy to pick on with his aww shucks schtick and I think he likes the camera a bit too much at times. Overall, the people I know that have met him or worked with him in some capacity say he’s a really nice guy . I like to get @Lawrence Wright all jacked up about it and let him do my heavy lifting. It’s kind of his calling card when it comes to these Duke/UNC threads.

I’d say UNC fans (not the ones on this board so much) are much more vile towards K than Duke fans are towards Huckleberry. Now if we want to talk about the Dirt-less, perfect, all knowing legend of Dean Smith I have some animosity. Mostly because everyone talks like Dean was some larger that life person that was without fault. However, that is a conversation for another day.
Don't know anything about Dean Smith the person, but I've always thought he "should" have more than 2 titles. There are some coaches that aren't as good as him overall (Jim Calhoun, Jay Wright, Bob Knight, Billy Donovan, Denny Crum) that have 2 or more titles.

I don’t hate Roy, I don’t hate Dean. i think Dean is a better coach than Roy. I know Roy wouldn’t make my Mt Rushmore of college coaches, but I’m almost certain Dean would. I don’t think Dean is a clean, innocent figure, but I don’t think I could find a clean, innocent successful college coach if I go back 50 years. That includes K.

I don’t hate Roy, I don’t hate Dean. i think Dean is a better coach than Roy. I know Roy wouldn’t make my Mt Rushmore of college coaches, but I’m almost certain Dean would. I don’t think Dean is a clean, innocent figure, but I don’t think I could find a clean, innocent successful college coach if I go back 50 years. That includes K.
I’m the same way. I don’t hate Dean either. I hate the hypocrisy of it all and the fact that it’s thought of as some sacrilege thing if something is negative said about Dean. He’s one of the best ever, but there was no one coach in anything that I’ve enjoyed beating than Dean. Hopefully that will change this season on the TSIO.

I’m the same way. I don’t hate Dean either. I hate the hypocrisy of it all and the fact that it’s thought of as some sacrilege thing if something is negative said about Dean. He’s one of the best ever, but there was no one coach in anything that I’ve enjoyed beating than Dean. Hopefully that will change this season on the TSIO.
That’s the thing. I love seeing Roy lose more. Maybe it’s an age/generational thing. Smith was long retired before I caught the dark side of college athletics. The UNC fans that think Smith should be up for sainthood are the ones I can’t stand. I don’t put their hypocrisy on Smith.

Also, I just want to put this back out there again, for the upteenth time. Every coach in the argument for best ever should have more championships. Get to the Final Four and it really becomes a crapshoot. Deano has 11 Final Fours. That’s flat out remarkable.

From tears to smiles: Harry Giles surprises young fans Harry Giles III and the Kings are making it up to a young fan, who was shown in tears following Sacramento's sudden postponement vs. the Pelicans, and her brother with tickets when the NBA resumes play.

VN Store

Back