The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

So, after my misfortunes with a BCG cotter pin that was last seen arcing over my right shoulder to parts unknown in my garage (my thanks to a good friend who had a couple of them lying around), I ordered another BCG from Brownell's, and went ahead and got the Bravo SOPMOD B5 stock for my patrol AR. Already had one on the long range AR. I really like that stock (thanks, GV).

So...69 SMK's for non-barrier blind and long range work, and the Federal 62 JSP's (FBIT3 / SBCT) for patrol and barriers. 55 FMJ for practice. I'm there, or as there as I'll ever get.

Anybody know where I can get an M1 SOCOM for under a hundred bucks?

:cool:

So, after my misfortunes with a BCG cotter pin that was last seen arcing over my right shoulder to parts unknown in my garage (my thanks to a good friend who had a couple of them lying around), I ordered another BCG from Brownell's, and went ahead and got the Bravo SOPMOD B5 stock for my patrol AR. Already had one on the long range AR. I really like that stock (thanks, GV).

So...69 SMK's for non-barrier blind and long range work, and the Federal 62 JSP's (FBIT3 / SBCT) for patrol and barriers. 55 FMJ for practice. I'm there, or as there as I'll ever get.

Anybody know where I can get an M1 SOCOM for under a hundred bucks?

:cool:
I'm sure with some of your "clients" could hook you up :p

So now Nikon comes out with the 4-12X40 P223 scope. I have the 3-9X40.

Anybody want a great deal on a Nikon P223 3-9X40? Not a scratch on it. Comes with the bikini cover and a signed photograph of me missing the bull at 200 yards.

So now Nikon comes out with the 4-12X40 P223 scope. I have the 3-9X40.

Anybody want a great deal on a Nikon P223 3-9X40? Not a scratch on it. Comes with the bikini cover and a signed photograph of me missing the bull at 200 yards.

You’ve found ammo that you like that won’t match up with any BDC reticle. If you are going to get a new scope, why not get something with either a MOA or mil reticle with matching turrets?

You’ve found ammo that you like that won’t match up with any BDC reticle. If you are going to get a new scope, why not get something with either a MOA or mil reticle with matching turrets?

Either you are way over my head here, or I'm at "one beer too many". Could be either one at this point. So...a while back I bought the Nikon P223 3-9X40 scope. Put it on AR #2, and dialed it in on the IMI 69 SMK. Tack driver. I've played with the BDC reticle, and it's very accurate with the IMI 69 SMK. Obviously no windage correction, but one could use the zero-reset turrets to dial that in if need be.

Now the P223 comes in 4-12X40. I'm a fan of magnification at longer ranges. Realistically, my longest shot would be at or less then 200 yards. But "12X" is better than "9X" at that range. so...

The IMI 69 SMK matches up great with that scope, and the Nikon "SpotOn" app is PFM for amateurs like me. Between the scope, the BDC reticle, and the app, I can dial in my shot at anywhere from zero to 600 yards. I've only played with it out to 200 yards, but it's dead-on at that range, so , again...

If you've got a better idea for a 100-400 yard AR-15 scope, send it. What with my experience to this point with the P223, I'd be hard pressed to not go for the 4-12 as an upgrade, and I already have a buyer for the 3-9. And the SpotOn app is a huge plus. No math, just dial in your round and magnification and put the correct dot on target. Sight, squeeze, and watch the round hit where you want it to. That scope, app, and IMI 69's will give you a big head in short order. They work that well together.

You know a lot more about this stuff than I do, so let me know what, or if, you think I should do. Bear this in mind: I own those AR's for one purpose, and one purpose only. I don't hunt anymore. I'm confident that my HD/Patrol AR is set up right for anything out to 100 yards. AR #2 is for anything beyond that, out to say 300 yards. Longest shot I should ever face in real world. If the 3-9 is enough, fine. If not, then I'm leaning towards the 4-12 Nikon.

This is why I love this thread. I can mine the knowledge and experience of those who have already been where I'm trying to get to.

I miss GV here. Cranky, but knows his s**t.

Go Vols.

Either you are way over my head here, or I'm at "one beer too many". Could be either one at this point. So...a while back I bought the Nikon P223 3-9X40 scope. Put it on AR #2, and dialed it in on the IMI 69 SMK. Tack driver. I've played with the BDC reticle, and it's very accurate with the IMI 69 SMK. Obviously no windage correction, but one could use the zero-reset turrets to dial that in if need be.

Now the P223 comes in 4-12X40. I'm a fan of magnification at longer ranges. Realistically, my longest shot would be at or less then 200 yards. But "12X" is better than "9X" at that range. so...

The IMI 69 SMK matches up great with that scope, and the Nikon "SpotOn" app is PFM for amateurs like me. Between the scope, the BDC reticle, and the app, I can dial in my shot at anywhere from zero to 600 yards. I've only played with it out to 200 yards, but it's dead-on at that range, so , again...

If you've got a better idea for a 100-400 yard AR-15 scope, send it. What with my experience to this point with the P223, I'd be hard pressed to not go for the 4-12 as an upgrade, and I already have a buyer for the 3-9. And the SpotOn app is a huge plus. No math, just dial in your round and magnification and put the correct dot on target. Sight, squeeze, and watch the round hit where you want it to. That scope, app, and IMI 69's will give you a big head in short order. They work that well together.

You know a lot more about this stuff than I do, so let me know what, or if, you think I should do. Bear this in mind: I own those AR's for one purpose, and one purpose only. I don't hunt anymore. I'm confident that my HD/Patrol AR is set up right for anything out to 100 yards. AR #2 is for anything beyond that, out to say 300 yards. Longest shot I should ever face in real world. If the 3-9 is enough, fine. If not, then I'm leaning towards the 4-12 Nikon.

This is why I love this thread. I can mine the knowledge and experience of those who have already been where I'm trying to get to.

Go Vols.

I forgot your most common distance was 100-300. Disregard my comment. It won’t matter much.

I forgot your most common distance was 100-300. Disregard my comment. It won’t matter much.

Thanks. Yeah, so the patrol rifle with the Aimpoint PRO is zeroed at what they call "MPBR". In theory, hold the dot on target, and POI will be within 3" vertically from 50 to 200 yards. Plenty good enough for me.

The scoped AR, I figure, should put me on the "X" out to 300 yards. I know there are folks out there who can ring steel at more than twice that range, but again...realistically, I'd be hard pressed to think of a scenario where I need to make a shot in excess of 300 yards. If even that far.

Now...if Santa ever drops an M-14 under the tree, I will definitely seek you (and GV) out before I do anything.

One can always hope.....

Go Vols.
I never really understood the point of a scope like that on an AR (price point being the one advantage). Give me an ACOG or similar and most will be fine to 500 easily.

I never really understood the point of a scope like that on an AR (price point being the one advantage). Give me an ACOG or similar and most will be fine to 500 easily.

I’ve got a couple AR’s where the fun is just starting at 500. The biggest advantage is making wind calls. I can’t read mirage or vegetation with an ACOG. Second reason is I like to dial elevation out past 400 and need an accurate turret and reticle. Third is better ability to spot hits and misses.

I’ve got a couple AR’s where the fun is just starting at 500. The biggest advantage is making wind calls. I can’t read mirage or vegetation with an ACOG. Second reason is I like to dial elevation out past 400 and need an accurate turret and reticle. Third is better ability to spot hits and misses.
That’s why I have a bolt action.

Though I can see it with a .308. Makes no sense on a .223 IMO

Remember, you guys are way beyond my need and skill level. The 2nd AR was originally bought solely to give me a source of parts in case a ban came in to place. Nobody buys a Colt 6721 to make 600-800 yard shots (although AR-15 guru Molon does say the 6721 barrel is one of the most accurate off the shelf AR barrels he's ever tested). After letting it sit in my closet for months, I figured it wouldn't hurt to put a trigger, stock, and scope on it..."just for kicks". GV, again, gets part of the blame here.

I went with the Nikon P-223 because of price, simplicity, designed for the .223/5.56, and the SpotOn app. I'm tickled with it. Then again, I amuse easily. I shudder to think of how many liquor stores I'd have to rob just to get into the same zip code as you and a few others who post here.

You all routinely make shots at ranges where I'd either (a) call for air support, or (b) lay low and hope they get bored and leave. As flat as Georgia is, the longest actual shot I can remember in...Good Lord, 19 years now...was an SRT marksman (clearly not me) who put a .308 through the kitchen window of a single-wide trailer at 105 yards. Left eye impact. Standoff over. When you breach the door and and get an iron-like odor, you know you're about to find a head shot. Glad those days are behind me.

I'm as simple as they come. Took me years to dial in my ammo choices to the Federal 62 grain SBCT, and the IMI 69 grain SMK. I still keep a pile of 55 FMJ's for plinking, but the other two are my barrier blind and non-barrier blind choices when the shot counts. I trust both.

So...do I upgrade to the 4-12X40 or stand pat? At my working range and skill level, is the 3-9 enough? Or is it time for me to suck it up and put a serious scope on that gun?

Remember, you guys are way beyond my need and skill level. The 2nd AR was originally bought solely to give me a source of parts in case a ban came in to place. Nobody buys a Colt 6721 to make 600-800 yard shots (although AR-15 guru Molon does say the 6721 barrel is one of the most accurate off the shelf AR barrels he's ever tested). After letting it sit in my closet for months, I figured it wouldn't hurt to put a trigger, stock, and scope on it..."just for kicks". GV, again, gets part of the blame here.

I went with the Nikon P-223 because of price, simplicity, designed for the .223/5.56, and the SpotOn app. I'm tickled with it. Then again, I amuse easily. I shudder to think of how many liquor stores I'd have to rob just to get into the same zip code as you and a few others who post here.

You all routinely make shots at ranges where I'd either (a) call for air support, or (b) lay low and hope they get bored and leave. As flat as Georgia is, the longest actual shot I can remember in...Good Lord, 19 years now...was an SRT marksman (clearly not me) who put a .308 through the kitchen window of a single-wide trailer at 105 yards. Left eye impact. Standoff over. When you breach the door and and get an iron-like odor, you know you're about to find a head shot. Glad those days are behind me.

I'm as simple as they come. Took me years to dial in my ammo choices to the Federal 62 grain SBCT, and the IMI 69 grain SMK. I still keep a pile of 55 FMJ's for plinking, but the other two are my barrier blind and non-barrier blind choices when the shot counts. I trust both.

So...do I upgrade to the 4-12X40 or stand pat? At my working range and skill level, is the 3-9 enough? Or is it time for me to suck it up and put a serious scope on that gun?
I’d say 3-9 is enough.

And I’m not being a d*** about the scope (I don’t think you took it that way anyway), as long as you’re out there shooting i don’t care if it’s a .22. It’s all about what you like and what your comfortable with.

105 yds...cute 😋

I’d say 3-9 is enough.

And I’m not being a d*** about the scope (I don’t think you took it that way anyway), as long as you’re out there shooting i don’t care if it’s a .22. It’s all about what you like and what your comfortable with.

105 yds...cute 😋

Thanks. I heard or read, or both, somewhere that most civilian SWAT sniper shots take place inside of 100 yards. I know we always tried to get the M/O team as close as we could, but still invisible. Most often, finding a good view of the target zone was tougher than finding a good hide. I made a couple of trips down to Camp Blanding just to go along when the M/O's trained with the Army, and I remember some of those Army guys down there shooting at 1000 yards plus. 'Course, they had tricked out bolt-action rifles and rounds that were specifically loaded for that gun, but still...over half a mile. Wow.

I got to shoot one of the military Barrett M82's down there many years ago. "Muzzle Brake" my butt...that thing kicked like a mule on meth.

That’s why I have a bolt action.

Though I can see it with a .308. Makes no sense on a .223 IMO

.223 with the right bullet is capable of much more than you give it credit for and a lot of fun. Try putting 3 rounds on a steel target at 800 before the sound of the first hit get back to you with a bolt gun.

Reactions: BennesseeVols
Thanks. I heard or read, or both, somewhere that most civilian SWAT sniper shots take place inside of 100 yards. I know we always tried to get the M/O team as close as we could, but still invisible. Most often, finding a good view of the target zone was tougher than finding a good hide. I made a couple of trips down to Camp Blanding just to go along when the M/O's trained with the Army, and I remember some of those Army guys down there shooting at 1000 yards plus. 'Course, they had tricked out bolt-action rifles and rounds that were specifically loaded for that gun, but still...over half a mile. Wow.

I got to shoot one of the military Barrett M82's down there many years ago. "Muzzle Brake" my butt...that thing kicked like a mule on meth.

Actually, 60 yards is the average for domestic SWAT.

Just take a look at the Glock G30S. 10 round mag, and takes the G21 13 round mags for followup. Easy to carry concealed. I use appendix carry with an overshirt, and don't print. I put a Pyramid trigger in mine, and now it's my preferred off-duty EDC. I still love my compact 1911, and the way it absorbs the recoil (those 230 HST's leave the barrel in a bad mood), but with the reduced carry weight + round count + still plenty accurate at likely engagement ranges, the Glock is my first choice for EDC.
36 rounds -vs- 21 (3 mags). Of course, if you're a good shot and only face one or two adversaries, 21 is plenty enough, so...

There are other, and maybe better choices out there, but I'm good with what I have. FWIW, a fellow LEO has an XD-M (?) in .45ACP and swears by it. He's sharp, so I trust his opinion in those matters.

Pick what fits your hand, and practice hard. It's not the will to win, but the will to practice to win, that usually carries the fight.

Keep us advised. I carry a Glock, but don't own stock. I'd dump it tomorrow for a better option.

VN Store

Back