The Official #2 vs. #10 Iowa NCAA Tournament Game Thread, 12:10 PM ET, CBS

25 brilliant minutes of basketball by the Vols and 20 minutes that sucked severely. Were gone if we can't play a complete game next time out Purdue much better than Iowa handled them easily in the season.

How about turner coming up with some big shots...wouldn’t have thought it a few weeks ago. We’re going to need him down the stretch.

We can’t continue to have these lapses in concentration, but man our guys are pretty clutch when it’s all said and done.

I saw DJ at the end of the game. He wasn’t in uniform, but in a warm-up. He was on the court after the game. I had not seen him during the SEC tournament or in the first game of the NCAAT.

It's not, really. If you're talking about the "blaming the refs comment", you can't blame officials for a loss(if they do lose, but this great OT start that seems unlikely) when you blow a 25 point lead.

In regards to Rick Barnes, it's also not. It's the same issue he had at Texas. And it's not saying Rick Barnes is a bad coach. He's a damn good one and we're lucky to have him. He saved our basketball program and has brought it to being one of the better programs in the country. But this has been a trend in his career. In 16 tournament appearances at Texas, his teams were bounced in the first round 6 times. Only made it to the sweet 16 or better 5 times. So he had a higher percentage of getting knocked out in the first round than getting to the sweet 16, this despite the fact that Texans was generally pretty darn talented under him.

My post isn't a post saying he should be fired or anything incredibly stupid like that. I love having him as our coach and as I said he's saved this program. But tournament performance is an issue for him in his career.
Then you are kinda contradicting yourself, because great coaches do not turn pretty much dumpster fire programs into really good programs within a matter of a few years and not be able to perform in the NCAA tournament. I just don't understand your thoughts on that. You can throw up stats saying he got bounced in the first round 6 out of 16 trips to the tournament all you want, but it still means nothing. According to you, he also made it to the sweet 16 or higher 5 times out of those 16 trips. Basically 1/3 of his trips he made it to the Sweet 16 or higher and 2/3 of the time he didn't.

The refs allowed Iowa to repeatedly foul us in the process of making steals. Then on the other end they called phantom fouls on us repeatedly. The refs really worked overtime trying to hand this game to Iowa.

NO....watch the tape....

We threw the ball away on bad passes for the majority of those turnovers....

We did get some bad calls--I'm not arguing that fact.....but 11 turnovers....and losing a 20+ point lead...

And guys acting like they completely forgot how to play the game and shoot the ball with confidence almost got us beat.

It's not like we haven't watched this kind of mental meltdown from these guys all year.....

They've done it over and over.....

VN Store

Back