The Official #2 vs. #10 Iowa NCAA Tournament Game Thread, 12:10 PM ET, CBS

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP - SOUTH REGION - 2ND ROUND

#2 Tennessee Volunteers: 30-5 (15-3 SEC)

1553389018264.jpeg

vs.

#10 Iowa Hawkeyes: 23-11 (10-10 Big 10)

1553389053768.jpeg

GAME 36 | NCAA TOURNAMENT FIRST ROUND - March 24, 2019 | 12:10 p.m. ET | Nationwide Arena (20,000)

Line: UT -8
O/U: 155.5

TV: CBS
Radio: Vol Network
Satellite Radio: Sirius: 135, XM: 201
Online: NCAA March Madness Live

1553388932456.jpeg

SUNDAY'S MATCHUP

• Tennessee's all-time series with Iowa is tied at 2-2. All four meetings took place at neutral sites.

• The Vols are 23-34 all-time against current members of the Big 10.

Rick Barnes owns a 3-1 head coaching record vs. Iowa, with all meetings coming during his tenure at Texas. Barnes is 29-29 against current members of the Big 10.

A WIN WOULD...

• Stand as Tennessee's 31st win of the season. That would tie UT's program record for wins (2007-08). It would also tie for the most wins in a season by a Rick Barnes' coached team. His 2007-08 Texas squad went 31-7.

• Give the Volunteers a .500 all-time record in NCAA Tournament play (22-22).

• Make Tennessee 4-0 in NCAA Tournament games played in Columbus, Ohio.

STORYLINES

• These teams last met in the First Four in 2014. Tennessee rallied from a 12-point deficit to win in overtime.

• This year's Vols have posted three wins over teams ranked in the AP top five. That ties the 1976-77 squad for UT's most wins over top-five opponents in a single season.

• Two of Tennessee's four losses this season have come in overtime, and all five were away from home against opponents that are seeded No. 5 or better.

• For the first time in program history, Tennessee has spent the entire season ranked in the top 10 of the AP Top 25.

• The Vols will finish this season with no more than six losses.

• Tennessee's final average home attendance of 19,034 ranks fourth nationally.

• Tennessee is 56-14 (.800) since the start of last season.

• Sunday should mark Grant William's 100th consecutive start.

ABOUT IOWA

• Iowa (23-11) earned an at-large bid for the NCAA Tournament out of the Big Ten Conference and advanced to the second round with a victory over Cincinnati Friday.

• Four different players are averaging double-figure scoring for the Hawkeyes this season in Tyler Cook (14.6 ppg), Luka Garza (13.1 ppg), Jordan Bohannon (11.4 ppg) and Joe Wieskamp (11.1 ppg), giving Iowa a balanced scoring attack.

• Cook, who is also the team's leading rebounder at 7.8 boards per game, was tabbed a second-team All-Big Ten selection by the media and a third-team selection by the coaches. Bohannon earned third-team accolades, Garza was an honorable-mention selection and Wieskamp earned a spot on the league's all-freshman team.

• Bohannon leads the Hawkeyes in assists (117) and has led the Big Ten in free-throw percentage each of the last two seasons. The junior guard also is a threat from beyond the arc, where he's connected on 73 3-pointers this year.

Not my favorite start time. I should be out of church in time for the 2nd half.

Vols should win going away, All Iowa has is corn and arrogance. GBO!!!

If we get past Iowa we play Purdue in the Sweet Sixteen in KY. If we get past them it will our 2nd Elite 8 in program history. Competition gets tougher from here on out.

Last edited:
Reactions: sport3500
Im guessing Grant is going to match up with cook? Hopefully he can get him into foul trouble. Wil Alexander be able to extend out on Garza defensively? Im guessing Garza cant put it on the deck and get to the rim

I see Auburn is currently killing Kansas. Auburn is playing their best basketball at the end of the season and tournament time. I hope we don't play them again. Of course, they would have to get through UNC or Washington, OSU or Houston, or KY to play us again and it would be in the Final Four. I swear if Bruce knocks us out in the Final Four. He would have denied us all our goals this year except making the Final 4. Or it could be sweet revenge by knocking him out and us making it to the finals. What a dream come true.

Last edited:
Reactions: nesbuddha66
Turn your phone off and DVR it. You dont have to sit through the commercials then
Its the way to go as long as you dont look at anyone who might check their phone. Wven if they know you dont wanna know the score sometimes their mannerisms to other people give the game away.

I think we'll pull an Auburn and trounce them after struggling against a lesser opponent.

If we get past Iowa how do you all feel about Purdue? Sorry just saw the other thread about this. Nevermind.

Last edited:
Hope we don't come out flat and are ready to roll. No turnovers. I think we win if Tennessee doesn't beat Tennessee.

VN Store

Back