The Official #11 Tennessee vs. Colorado Game Thread, 2:00 PM ET, ESPN

I don't understand why the whole team has a bad night at the same time.

This happened several times last year. If Vescovi and JJJ are off, the whole team seems to be clueless.

Reactions: Hbg
I don't understand why the whole team has a bad night at the same time.

This happened several times last year. If Vescovi and JJJ are off, the whole team seems to be clueless.

This. You would think someone could make some shots.

I mean, if this is actually the case it’s disappointing that this mindset ever even existed on the team. You should never go into a game expecting it to be easy. That’s how you get beat and that is why we lost.

How in the world can a senior have that mindset? He just admitted that he nor anyone on this team is a leader if this is true.

I know I will probably get heat for saying it, but this team will be better off when ORN is graduated and we have a more experienced Awaka and other bigs in future years. ORN continues to be so soft with his hands and is inconsistent as an offensive threat. It’s disappointing that this late in his career he gets stripped so easily after getting a rebound. I don’t know if it’s just carelessness or if his hands are made of Charmin, but it happens a few times every game. He really should be a better and more aggressive rebounder than he is.
Yeah, I was sitting there watching this thinking the same thing. It's not that ORN is a horrible player but how did we get to a point where a light rotation talent is so relied upon with the recruiting we have?

I know I will probably get heat for saying it, but this team will be better off when ORN is graduated and we have a more experienced Awaka and other bigs in future years. ORN continues to be so soft with his hands and is inconsistent as an offensive threat. It’s disappointing that this late in his career he gets stripped so easily after getting a rebound. I don’t know if it’s just carelessness or if his hands are made of Charmin, but it happens a few times every game. He really should be a better and more aggressive rebounder than he is.
Yea he's a very clumsy player

Another question....would you rather be playing your best basketball in November or March?
I want to know when they lost their first game last year...just trying to see if my memory is correct...I could've sworn they won 15-17 games before the first lost

How in the world can a senior have that mindset? He just admitted that he nor anyone on this team is a leader if this is true.
You might be reading a bit too much into that statement. But having said that, JJJ has never been a vocal leader. He's never been a guy who demanded the ball when the game was on the line. When you look at this team, where is that dominant personality? Who will pick that team up, put 'em on his shoulders and will them to a win? ZZ is still young. Key is a newcomer. Vescovi is a spot up shooter who teams can put an athlete on and shut down. He's not getting his own shot. So who leads? There are no dominant personalities. There are no "elite" talents like Chandler. When the game is on the line, who will win that game? Maybe that "someone" will emerge at the season rolls on, but at this point in time, I'm not seeing that player on the roster.

Another question....would you rather be playing your best basketball in November or March?

I thought we were playing our best basketball last March but the end result was still the same: disappointment of an early exit.

Not sure that’s the card you should be attempting to play with our coach’s history that month.

Yep, that attitude going into any game will get you beat. He stunk it up against Colorado as well.

What?

15 points (45.5% FG & 50% 3PT)
8 rebounds
3 steals
2 assists
2 blocks

JJJ was the only player that didn't stink it up. Which may be why ZZ lost the start, Barnes feels like he needs JJJ starting again.

I thought we were playing our best basketball last March but the end result was still the same: disappointment of an early exit.

Not sure that’s the card you should be attempting to play with our coach’s history that month.
Right now the best thing we can all do is turn on each other and the team. If we fire Barnes now, we can right the ship in the next decade.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Great teams don’t lose to terrible teams. We were 20 point favorites. Not 2. 20. The Texas Tech and Texas losses last year were fine. Those are Top 25 teams with Top 10 defenses. Poor shooting nights happen against great defense.

Listen, I’m not saying the season is over or anything. It’s a long season. But there are enough red flags here to tell me that we should temper our expectations. We look like we figured we could just show up and win and not even play hard.
One loss doesn't define a team.

Slow down there bucko

You might be reading a bit too much into that statement. But having said that, JJJ has never been a vocal leader. He's never been a guy who demanded the ball when the game was on the line. When you look at this team, where is that dominant personality? Who will pick that team up, put 'em on his shoulders and will them to a win? ZZ is still young. Key is a newcomer. Vescovi is a spot up shooter who teams can put an athlete on and shut down. He's not getting his own shot. So who leads? There are no dominant personalities. There are no "elite" talents like Chandler. When the game is on the line, who will win that game? Maybe that "someone" will emerge at the season rolls on, but at this point in time, I'm not seeing that player on the roster.

Uros honestly is that dude. You don't have to be the best player/leading scorer to bring the energy.

I think Mashack and/or Phillips both could have it in them. But seems like neither has Barnes' trust enough to get enough minutes to really be involved thus far, hopefully that changes.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Right now the best thing we can all do is turn on each other and the team. If we fire Barnes now, we can right the ship in the next decade.

Man that’s quite the leap you made based off of my post. Defensive much?

It was a bad game. They happen. Nobody is advocating to blow the whole thing up. Good grief.

Kentucky lost to Evansville at home in 2019 and they ended up ok. Postseason was canceled but they ended up ranked #6.

VN Store

Back