The Official #11 Tennessee vs. Colorado Game Thread, 2:00 PM ET, ESPN

Guessing new starters will be Key, Santi, JJJ, Phillips, ORN

We don’t need ORN settling for 3 pointers. Somebody needs to be able to play physical in the paint now that Uros will be out. JJJ. ORN. Awaka. Aidoo. Even Mashack. Somebody needs to post up and/or drive to the rim. ZZ is too tiny to be our threat under the basket.

Early season losses don’t matter. Rule number one about college basketball, never get excited in November.
Jimmy Dykes nailed it when he said “Tennessee got Grambling’d today.”

Our guys looked at that score and assumed Colorado would roll over and die.

Colorado is better than what they showed Friday. We are better than we showed today.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
If Phillips is going to be prone to picking up the cheap, early fouls - then starting Mashack instead ought to be in play. At times JM looked like the only guy on the court that cared.

Here's my biggest Barnes complaint, he never plays the young guys enough early in the season or while they are young unless he has to.

KC is an exception, because he was 1st round talent and Barnes had to play him.

So then we end up with ORN as a senior with just 77 games of experience but a career 13.1 mpg player. And that average is just that high because of last year's numbers when he was finally getting minutes.

Santi & JJJ both have played and gotten minutes, but outside those 2 the rest of the squad hasn't really gotten enough minutes.

Creates a weird dynamic, if you look at total minutes it's even more interesting.

Key: 3715 (majority at Indiana State)
Santi: 2488
JJJ: 2427
ORN: 1010
ZZ: 801
Uros: 692

So 2 of our seniors have played basically a season's worth of minutes. That's wild!

I would rather have Aidoo at the 5. We need someone with size to be able to play down low.

It won't happen, because Barnes isn't likely going to sit his upperclassmen.

But I'd honestly like to see Phillips and Aidoo both getting the bulk of the minutes for the "bigs" they are probably two of the most talented and physically gifted guys on the team and really just need to clock as many minutes as possible to figure it out.

Reactions: Volfan1000
It won't happen, because Barnes isn't likely going to sit his upperclassmen.

But I'd honestly like to see Phillips and Aidoo both getting the bulk of the minutes for the "bigs" they are probably two of the most talented and physically gifted guys on the team and really just need to clock as many minutes as possible to figure it out.
That's what I want as well, but like you said, it's not gonna happen

It also feels like our lack of PG depth just reared its ugly head for the first time this season. ZZ was flat out terrible today and we had no answer for someone else to run the offense in his absence.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
My thing is unless ORN is willing to play back to the basket and kick out when they double down he's a liability on offense. He hasn't shown the ability to pick and roll as well as Fulky did (or even Uros) and he's not an active big at setting picks like those guys. Him shooting threes or trying to dribble drive from 20 feet out isn't how he helps us.

He is an active rebounder and just needs to accept playing inside more and learning to go up stronger.

ZZ was for sure out of control, seemed to be the catalyst at times for the offense rushing. Something KC was almost perfect at and something Bone really shined at, understanding when to push and when to be the calming presence. He's young and will learn, I doubt he's the type that will crumble under that sort of criticism either.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I was at the game. Here’s some thoughts.

I’m afraid we’re going to see ZZ miss Kennedy more than anyone else on the team. ZZ was most effective when both were on the floor together with KC having the best on ball defender on him. The best on ball defender is on ZZ now the entire time.

Phillips needs to play and ball has to go to him regularly. Yeah they did that in 2nd half & it didn’t work but he’ll get better. Too much talent there not to develop it. He’ll be a all con type player by January if they go to him more.

Key is a great 6th guy. He can score. I’d start SV, JJJ, Phillips& ORN. Figure out the point guard starter. Bring Key off the bench but he, SV & JJJ get 30 Minutes per night. Phillips high 20s.

I’m not distraught about this game but I’m not kidding myself that this is a deep run in March team either. Lack of consistent inside presence killing them again. If Phillips & ORN really come on, maybe. Otherwise not so much.

Looks like they played as individuals vs a team. It was ugly from the start. Not focused, undisciplined, and lacked effort. Far too reliant on perimeter shooting to be good over the long run. This group has a lot to fix before conference play.

It also feels like our lack of PG depth just reared its ugly head for the first time this season. ZZ was flat out terrible today and we had no answer for someone else to run the offense in his absence.

Makes you wonder why Barnes didn't go to BJ, I'd say he wants to RS him. But can't they play 30% of the season or something before they can't RS?

VN Store

Back