The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

When is the last time we were outright picked to win the SEC? Did that even happen under Pearl? Is my short term memory absolutely terrible?

When is the last time we were outright picked to win the SEC? Did that even happen under Pearl? Is my short term memory absolutely terrible?

I'm going to guess 2007-08 we were, because we started the year as the highest ranked SEC team at #7 and the next SEC team was Arkansas at #19.

Reactions: Chris4Vols22
Still doubting there's much of a season
giphy.gif

@cncchris33

What's your take on the football assistants not taking paycuts and that info going public?

Seems like a precarious situation to me.
Double-edged sword, I guess. Interesting dynamic that the two who agreed to a reduction are the two with connection to the school.

I believe the idea that the other eight (?) who refused would seem to be more justified if we were 5-1 or better and on a clear upward trajectory, and more well-received by fans. Instead, we are currently a dumpster fire showing no signs of improvement or promise in year three. That is going to rub people the wrong way, but is perhaps a little hypocritical to say its OK if we're winning, but not if we're losing.

And lastly, a contract is a contract. It binds both parties. Those eight who refused have no more loyalty to their employer than I have to my multi-billion dollar company of 18,000 employees. If I were given the "option" of taking a pay cut, or not, I know which option I'm taking.

Double-edged sword, I guess. Interesting dynamic that the two who agreed to a reduction are the two with connection to the school.

I believe the idea that the other eight (?) who refused would seem to be more justified if we were 5-1 or better and on a clear upward trajectory, and more well-received by fans. Instead, we are currently a dumpster fire showing no signs of improvement or promise in year three. That is going to rub people the wrong way, but is perhaps a little hypocritical to say its OK if we're winning, but not if we're losing.

And lastly, a contract is a contract. It binds both parties. Those eight who refused have no more loyalty to their employer than I have to my multi-billion dollar company of 18,000 employees. If I were given the "option" of taking a pay cut, or not, I know which option I'm taking.

If the company just randomly wanted you to take a pay cut, or if they did it so some executive could get a bonus, sure. But given what's happened the way I saw it is the pay cut is being asked for to probably help save some other people's jobs. And in that case, if I knew me taking a pay cut could help save someone else's job (who likely makes a lot less), I don't hesitate. Which is another reason the 2 guys that did being VFLs doesn't surprise me.

Yeah contracts are contracts but I doubt pandemic that affects the entire economy was written into said contract.

If the company just randomly wanted you to take a pay cut, or if they did it so some executive could get a bonus, sure. But given what's happened the way I saw it is the pay cut is being asked for to probably help save some other people's jobs. And in that case, if I knew me taking a pay cut could help save someone else's job (who likely makes a lot less), I don't hesitate. Which is another reason the 2 guys that did being VFLs doesn't surprise me.

Yeah contracts are contracts but I doubt pandemic that affects the entire economy was written into said contract.
Can't argue with most of that. Like I said, it's a two-edged sword. A respectable argument can be made for either position, I think.

Can't argue with most of that. Like I said, it's a two-edged sword. A respectable argument can be made for either position, I think.

There's also some unknowns, like did the university waste a lot of money so that these other people now have to be let go, other waste, etc. I don't think it's completely fair to try to bash anyone for not taking a pay cut, as I don't know their situation either. They could be caring for family members who can't work, etc.

Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back