The Last of Us Series (HBO)

Kind of nervous about this finale tonight.

Only 43 minute runtime. It has the potential to be incredible based on what happens in the game, but that will have to be pretty rushed to fit everything I have seen. Also, Bella has said it will be controversial so I almost wonder if they’ll leave some sort of cliffhanger for season 2. I hope not.

No way it all fits into 43 minutes. It’s definitely going to end in the middle of everything happening and start the year plus wait to see the rest.

Haven't played the game but I bet the "let's finish what we started" line comes at the end of the episode and we're left on a cliffhanger.

Hmm. I don’t know how I feel about this. As far as the game goes the show was pretty much on the money, yet the game still felt so, so much more emotional in the finale than the show. Kind of felt like the acting phoned it in on this episode. Not sure how to put my finger on it, but how do you go from the acting in episode 8 to that. Sort of seemed like they tried to make Ellie seem weird after her encounter she just escaped, but it ended up messing with how she comes across.

The actress playing Ellie’s mother at the beginning was Ashley Johnson, who is the actress for Ellie in the video games. She was also wearing Ellie’s jacket from the game and wielding Ellie’s knife. Was a very cool touch for fans of the game. Also felt like it was the best part of the episode last night.

Hmm. I don’t know how I feel about this. As far as the game goes the show was pretty much on the money, yet the game still felt so, so much more emotional in the finale than the show. Kind of felt like the acting phoned it in on this episode. Not sure how to put my finger on it, but how do you go from the acting in episode 8 to that. Sort of seemed like they tried to make Ellie seem weird after her encounter she just escaped, but it ended up messing with how she comes across.

I haven't played the first game in a long time so a lot of the details I don't remember, but I don't remember her being weird before or after the event in the game. From what I remember, she started questioning Joel's version of what happened in the second game later, shown in flashbacks. Seems like for the TV show they already wanted to establish that doubt.

I kinda agree with your take, I was trying to explain to my wife that it actually stuck to the game but in the game it was just more....instense. I guess the fact you're controlling the character in the game makes it more so, plus in the game from what I remember I felt like it was going to be difficult getting to Ellie. On the show, I felt like the Fireflies kind of acted like morons trying to come after him.

That "rescue" scene certainly felt like a sped up video game play. Particularly with all the gun swapping.

I haven't played the first game in a long time so a lot of the details I don't remember, but I don't remember her being weird before or after the event in the game. From what I remember, she started questioning Joel's version of what happened in the second game later, shown in flashbacks. Seems like for the TV show they already wanted to establish that doubt.

I kinda agree with your take, I was trying to explain to my wife that it actually stuck to the game but in the game it was just more....instense. I guess the fact you're controlling the character in the game makes it more so, plus in the game from what I remember I felt like it was going to be difficult getting to Ellie. On the show, I felt like the Fireflies kind of acted like morons trying to come after him.
I read the game was 20+ hours long and the show was barely 10. I can see where it just doesn't feel the same because the the characters haven't really had the chance to grow like they do in the game and everything kind of felt rushed. I wish this would have been 12 or 13 episodes instead of 9.

Reactions: Voldog1998
I thought it was good except IDK why it's spring in Salt Lake City when it was winter in Colorado. Are we to assume weeks/months have passed since the preacher stuff in the penultimate ep? Everything else they did made it feel like it had happened a day or two before.

I thought it was good except IDK why it's spring in Salt Lake City when it was winter in Colorado. Are we to assume weeks/months have passed since the preacher stuff in the penultimate ep? Everything else they did made it feel like it had happened a day or two before.

Yes this story spans across multiple seasons. The game did a better job of pointing that out than the show.

You have to consider they were basically traveling on foot everywhere after they wrecked the car.

Just watched the first season. Thought it was good but not spectacular or anything. Doesn’t touch HBO shows like The Sopranos or GOT for me.

Reactions: bignewt
Ellie. Ramsey did a really good job in season 1, but I just don’t see how they pull off everything that happens in the story and the time jump with Bella Ramsey as Ellie.
I read somewhere that she's 14 in season 1 but in real life she's 19, which is how hold she would be in the 5 year time jump.

Now, I admit I know nothing beyond what I read. I didn't even know this show was based off of a game because I didn't know there was even a game, but I'm not understanding how any of this could be an issue.

I read somewhere that she's 14 in season 1 but in real life she's 19, which is how hold she would be in the 5 year time jump.

Now, I admit I know nothing beyond what I read. I didn't even know this show was based off of a game because I didn't know there was even a game, but I'm not understanding how any of this could be an issue.
I don't either. She looks young for 19 but they have ways of making her look older. I think recasting her would ruin it.

Well you may not understand the issue some may have because as you said, you weren’t even aware it was a game or of anything that happens in the second part of the story. Bella Ramsey is barely 5 ft tall and looks like a 12 year old. I’m sure they can make her look older, but there’s going to be things that happen that are a little harder to believe with Bella Ramsay’s natural stature.
I guess maybe part of it is just fandom of the character? There’s a pretty clear growth and maturation physically in the game in height and weight with Ellie. Anyways, I’m sure the show will still be fine with Bella Ramsey. I just personally think someone else would be better. Also, just for reference sake here’s Ellie in part 2:
4628AF0B-E29C-44FB-9F18-C34955FA7290.jpeg

Last edited:

VN Store

Back