The Grill and BBQ thread

Finally got around to making the Al Pastor for some really good street tacos last night. Used the oven instead of the grill and the cook was taking a good bit longer than I was expecting so I had to turn the temp up which make the top a little drier than you’d want, but it still tasted delicious.

Attachments

• 52BAC747-AC01-46BE-A484-594E02C77B06.jpeg
    52BAC747-AC01-46BE-A484-594E02C77B06.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 04A7C392-1CB9-411F-9096-BBC041D9AF4F.jpeg
    04A7C392-1CB9-411F-9096-BBC041D9AF4F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
Finally got around to making the Al Pastor for some really good street tacos last night. Used the oven instead of the grill and the cook was taking a good bit longer than I was expecting so I had to turn the temp up which make the top a little drier than you’d want, but it still tasted delicious.
So funny... We ate at our favorite local Mexican place on Friday night, and I wanted to try something different. I had tacos -- 2 lengua and 2 pastor. Both were fantastic, and I was curious how the pastor is cooked.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
So funny... We ate at our favorite local Mexican place on Friday night, and I wanted to try something different. I had tacos -- 2 lengua and 2 pastor. Both were fantastic, and I was curious how the pastor is cooked.

It’s basically Mexican shawarma. I asked around at so many restaurants and they all either said they didn’t make it/know because it is time consuming or they just said it’s very involved and didn’t really give more details about how to make the sauce. I kept all of the juices and just tossed/covered all of the meat slices with it. Use corn tortillas, add al pastor and top with onion, cilantro and then some small pineapple chunks and you got a very tasty taco.

It’s basically Mexican shawarma. I asked around at so many restaurants and they all either said they didn’t make it/know because it is time consuming or they just said it’s very involved and didn’t really give more details about how to make the sauce. I kept all of the juices and just tossed/covered all of the meat slices with it. Use corn tortillas, add al pastor and top with onion, cilantro and then some small pineapple chunks and you got a very tasty taco.
This recipe looks pretty good but will require a stop by my Latino market:

Mexican-style Pork Tacos (Tacos Al Pastor) Recipe by Tasty

I would cook it on the grill, and I wonder if a lower (250ish) temp would make it more tender...

This recipe looks pretty good but will require a stop by my Latino market:

Mexican-style Pork Tacos (Tacos Al Pastor) Recipe by Tasty

I would cook it on the grill, and I wonder if a lower (250ish) temp would make it more tender...

The only place I could find achiote paste was at the local Latino grocer. If that is what you are talking about?

The recipe I followed said 3.5 hrs @ 250 F. I started at 275 and ended at 350 (last half hour) because it was going to blow past the 3.5 hrs stated in the recipe. And I took it off at 145 internal temp. Next time I’m going to use the smoker, but not gonna lie cooking it in the grill made the whole house smell good lol.

Edit: here is the recipe I used Tacos Al Pastor Recipe

Last edited:
Have had some friends swear that a Blackstone griddle is worth the price two or three times over… anyone in here echo that? Pros/cons?

My wife likes it. Me, I could give or take it.

Pros: it’s versatile. You can do breakfast, burgers, dogs, hibachi, you name it.

Cons: I’m not a propane fan but that’s what it runs on. Cleanup is a royal pain too.

Reactions: RockyTop411
Have had some friends swear that a Blackstone griddle is worth the price two or three times over… anyone in here echo that? Pros/cons?

I had the smaller one and while I liked the food, maintenance/cleaning was more than I liked. Also, I'm generally cooking for one so it was overkill. If you have it on a deck get some mats to capture the grease spatter. Finally, when it's hot out it's not pleasant to stand over. I was doing smash burgers for a crowd during July and it was not fun. I ended up selling it and haven't really missed it.

Reactions: RockyTop411
@VFLEatinFresh @JCHateSteve @volinbham Appreciate you alls thoughts… I decided to go ahead and buy one to see what all the talk is about.

Any favorite recipes/tips to keep it in good shape? See a lot of complaints
Folks seem to love or hate them. I've heard cleaning is easier on the Pit Boss Non Stick models. But you can't use metal utensils, which seems like a big downside. Beyond that I have no idea. I'm new to them as well. I have seen a place that sells stainless steel replacement cooktops though.
Griddle Upgrade for Blackstone

VN Store

Back