The Grill and BBQ thread

Someone on here has 1. I was getting one for Christmas but their deliveries were delayed so I cancelled.

I think the biggest issue is "don't turn your back!" These things cook quickly. They look cool as all get out.

thanks - I realized I'll use one like 2x/year so I'm on to spending money on something else.

considering an Ooni.

Who has one and which one did you get? Gas seems easiest.

Issues?

I have one. Love it. Easy and quick now. I have the Ooni Fyra and use the pellets. The wife got it for me for Christmas and was going to get the gas one, but I wanted the wood fired one. The only issue I have is that my chimney pipe will not come off, It's like it is melded in there now. There are a few people on the Ooni forums that have had that issue, but it looks like it will free up over time and use.

It arrived in May and I have used it probably 10 times @ 3-4 pizzas per use, so approximately 35 pizzas I have done. Be prepared for some burnt ugly pizzas the first few times you use it. After the small learning curve, it's a breeze.

My biggest problem is not with the Ooni, it's with getting the pizza dough stretched out lol. It takes me much longer to spread the dough than it does to cook the pizza.

Make sure you flour the heck out of your pizza peel when you are putting it in the Ooni or you will run the risk of ripping the pizza and will have a mess to clean up off of the pizza stone. Also, don't load it down with toppings, that makes it harder to slide in as well. I recommend a wood peel to put into the oven and I use a steel peel to take it out to turn it. Everybody has their preferences and you will find your routine and what works best for you too. There are tons of videos on YouTube and that's where I learned a lot my best practices.

If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them or point you in the right direction. The Ooni community forums on the Ooni website are a great source of information as well.

Ok brisket guys, I'm gonna cook my first whole brisket this weekend. Should I separate the flat from the point before I cook or leave it whole? Going to search the interwebs for answers too, but I'd appreciate any thoughts from VN.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Ok brisket guys, I'm gonna cook my first whole brisket this weekend. Should I separate the flat from the point before I cook or leave it whole? Going to search the interwebs for answers too, but I'd appreciate any thoughts from VN.
Personally, I like to separate so that:
1) the flat has a more uniform thickness
2) it's easier to cube the point when done to finish as burnt ends

Nice. You do the lobster tails on the grill? I've never tried that.
They're good that way. I do them shell down first, them flip for just a minute or so. Don't overcook then!
Yep, just like @kiddiedoc said, shell side down to cook them most of the way through and then flip to meat side down just at the very end. I also use kitchen shears to cut the shell on the meat side to create a little crevice down the middle that I put a compound butter in that had the chance to harder up in the fridge.

Picked up a nice tri-tip at Simpson's with my Father's Day haul, figured I'd give the cut another chance. I don't typically like to wet marinade beef, but I'm open to suggestions. Somebody give me a go-to prep that I will like.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Picked up a nice tri-tip at Simpson's with my Father's Day haul, figured I'd give the cut another chance. I don't typically like to wet marinade beef, but I'm open to suggestions. Somebody give me a go-to prep that I will like.
My two favorites for tri are an Italian dressing style marinade and the traditional Santa Maria preparation. If I want the Italian style I don’t even try to do it on my own bc my local butcher sells them in a bag already in a marinade that’s better than anything I’ve ever been able to duplicate on my own. Santa Maria gets a basic garlicky, salty oil and red wine vinegar marinade but is more about the rub you put on it to me.

My two favorites for tri are an Italian dressing style marinade and the traditional Santa Maria preparation. If I want the Italian style I don’t even try to do it on my own bc my local butcher sells them in a bag already in a marinade that’s better than anything I’ve ever been able to duplicate on my own. Santa Maria gets a basic garlicky, salty oil and red wine vinegar marinade but is more about the rub you put on it to me.
This looks pretty good:

Traditional "Santa Maria BBQ" Oak Wood-Grilled Tri-Tip Recipe

But, I think I would reverse sear. What do you think about that recipe?

This looks pretty good:

Traditional "Santa Maria BBQ" Oak Wood-Grilled Tri-Tip Recipe

But, I think I would reverse sear. What do you think about that recipe?
Looks along the same lines as what I do, I might play around with the rub a little; chili powders and even tried coffee before with varying degrees of success. I’d start with that and then play with it if you decide to do it again.

As for the cooking, hard to go wrong with the reverse sear but I’ve actually been employing the JKF strategy more recently. It’s laborious but her commentary about the crust development is spot on for me.
How to cook steak with the JKF method (just keep flipping!) – Jess Pryles

I've been cooking a few tri tips lately. I haven't done much with marinades, just been experimenting with dry rub/ seasoning. I'll be honest so far for me the best has been the traditional garlic salt & fresh ground pepper. I grew up in Santa Maria so it reminds me of home. I absolutely do a reverse sear now though. It just comes out so much better cooked that way

VN Store

Back