The Grill and BBQ thread

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member

butchna

Sit down and tell me all about it...way over there
I've got a late brisket going, as well. For a real treat, I like quick-pickling radishes and red onions to go on the tacos. View attachment 366973
People make pickling sound easy. It was always a production growing up. Lot of rules! No one has ever duplicated the pickles my Aunt Alene made.

clarksvol00

Publix actually had some wings. These are standard BBQ rub and on the smoker at 365 for about 50 (internal around 200-205). That might be too done for some folks but the skin is crisp and all the meat comes off the bone. First pic is off the smoker, second shows a few in standard Frank's style buffalo sauce

I've started soaking my wings in salt water for an hour or two then sprinkling them with a rub that has a little baking powder in it before I smoke them. Seems to help the skin get crisp.

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
People make pickling sound easy. It was always a production growing up. Lot of rules! No one has ever duplicated the pickles my Aunt Alene made.
Yeah, this isn't for long-term canning or anything. 50-50 apple cider vinegar and water, a little hot honey, and salt, heat to boiling, and pour over the vegetables. They're good to eat once cooled but will keep in the fridge for quite a while.

volmanbill

Déjà vu all over again
Staff member
I went in on a whole cow with a couple of friends and have a freezer full of meat, some of which are cuts I don't normally buy.

I have two nice looking sirloins, but they aren't very thick (maybe 1.25"). Would you guys just grill them directly, or is there a way to get them a little more tender than sirloin usually is? Or, would there be something better to do with that cut?
You might sous vide them?

NochNoch

The Albies and Acuna Show
71117820-3A6C-4EE0-B23F-5158AAB817BE.jpeg
First smoke at the new house. Had these things dialed in until I let the egg run hot at the end to try and set the sauce. Agreed to play one extra game of Uno with the wife and 5 year old and they went just a touch too far. Flavor was great and the sections with the fat cap were perfect but some of the leaner areas were a tad dry. The extra Uno game was worth it though.

Boca Vol

Originally from Exit 81
Lab Rat
If anyone is in the Sarasota/ Bradenton area with $2k to burn, the Crowder Bros Ace Hardware in Lakewood Ranch near SR 64 has an XXL BGE with the nest, side shelves, plate setter, and bunch of other goodies they are looking to sell. It is listed for $2200 but the grill manager asked me to make an offer. I just don't need something like that for 2 of us.

walkenvol

Has anyone tried the 2-2-1 method for baby backs at 225? How’d it turn out?
What’s this method? I’ve had good success lately by cooking in the slow cooker till tender then finishing up on the grill to crisp up the outside. Have to be careful to not leave in the slow cooker too long or they will fall apart on the grill

Volsdeep4

It’s our year innit?
What’s this method? I’ve had good success lately by cooking in the slow cooker till tender then finishing up on the grill to crisp up the outside. Have to be careful to not leave in the slow cooker too long or they will fall apart on the grill
It’s 2 hours on smoker 2 hours in foil 1 hour unwrapped at 225. Never tried a slow cooker before

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
Has anyone tried the 2-2-1 method for baby backs at 225? How’d it turn out?
My go-to method. Good smoke and bark + fall off the bone tender. Add a little liquid to the pan or foil for the middle 2, and keep an eye on that last hour. Sometimes 30-45" is all it takes.

VN Store

Sponsors