The Grill and BBQ thread

2 full racks baby backs peeled and cut in quarters. Apply rub and let sit for 2 hours to overnight. Place in a single layer tips down in a large turkey bag. Cook in oven at 225 until the meat begins to pull away from the bone ends. Pull out and mop with favorite sauce on a hot grill turning frequently until glazed.

I use either kosher salt and garlic pepper or kosher salt and a cumin based rub. I either make my own everything in the fridge sauce or combine some sort of regular sweet sauce like KC Masterpiece with a hot and spicy Bullseye.

The 2 plus hous in the oven makes them perect every time.

For my smoker, in a medium aluminum pan combine 2 cans bush's grilling beans, 2 cans light red kidney beans, 2 cans canellinni beans with a large onion diced and about 8 - 10 peppercinis sliced. Mix the fridge sauce and brown sugar plus coarse black pepper. Stir into beans. Layer with thick cut bacon on top. Cook covered until very bubbly then uncover until top has a thick glaze.

If you have it available in a store near you, Johnboy and Billy's grillin sauce is truly one of the best off the shelf.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Nice smoke ring! Looks moist. What would you do differently?
Load it up to the max with pellets! Woke up around 3:50 AM to check on it and it was down to 55 internal temperature. Watch that be something that was actually good for it. 🤣

Load it up to the max with pellets! Woke up around 3:50 AM to check on it and it was down to 55 internal temperature. Watch that be something that was actually good for it. 🤣
I've heard with pellet feeders to load it up because they only add fuel as needed so you really can't waste it. If that was your biggest mistake you're ahead of the curve.

Reactions: butchna
I've heard with pellet feeders to load it up because they only add fuel as needed so you really can't waste it. If that was your biggest mistake you're ahead of the curve.
Thanks! Needed more salt in the rub too...but I hadn’t tasted it when I responded to your question. That was my wife’s review. But yeah, looking forward to future smoking forays. Going to tackle a smoked meatloaf next week, which should be a breeze in comparison.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Seriously, if you nailed the tenderness, the seasoning will come. And every cut/ piece will be different.

Smoke it with the fat cap on top. Not on bottom. The fat will render down into the meat using gravity and will be so much juicier. Still looks great btw.
Thanks. Fat cap was on top. May have trimmed too much due to taking the lead from different guys on YouTube, but it turned out the best I’ve done...not saying much. It was hella juicy and tender...and that with basically refrigerating it an hour mid-smoke.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Seriously, if you nailed the tenderness, the seasoning will come. And every cut/ piece will be different.
There’s many gurus that swear by just salt and pepper. I’ll do one like that but I had some old rub that was specified for chicken and I threw that on there. I had never used worchestshire sauce as a binder...I’m sticking with that. Pretty sure it helped with the bark.

Reactions: Boca Vol
There’s also a sauce that you go half and half with water and mop every two hours. I did it with Sweet Baby Ray’s. I’ve spritzed with apple cider and apple cider vinegar...mopping worked way better. I’m a convert.

Reactions: jp1
There’s many gurus that swear by just salt and pepper. I’ll do one like that but I had some old rub that was specified for chicken and I threw that on there. I had never used worchestshire sauce as a binder...I’m sticking with that. Pretty sure it helped with the bark.

Yeah, keep tinkering with your rub, temp, wrap, etc, until you it works for you. Your smoke ring was "money" on this one. Make it how you like it. That's the only thing that matters. I know you live in TX, so take what you like about the brisket you have when you go out to eat, and incorporate that.

If cooked indoors, low and slow, with beef stock and a ton of onions and some beer, it tastes EXACTLY like pot roast, and is wonderful.

I like it grilled, and I like it oven-style, and they’re completely different.

If I want pot roast, I'll make pot roast. "Brisket" doesn't taste like pot roast.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
I went in on a whole cow with a couple of friends and have a freezer full of meat, some of which are cuts I don't normally buy.

I have two nice looking sirloins, but they aren't very thick (maybe 1.25"). Would you guys just grill them directly, or is there a way to get them a little more tender than sirloin usually is? Or, would there be something better to do with that cut?

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Publix actually had some wings. These are standard BBQ rub and on the smoker at 365 for about 50 (internal around 200-205). That might be too done for some folks but the skin is crisp and all the meat comes off the bone. First pic is off the smoker, second shows a few in standard Frank's style buffalo sauce

183339776_10104699147627486_1508959917443773175_n.jpg

183431695_10104699147682376_6059793800879920389_n.jpg

VN Store

Back