The Grill and BBQ thread

Has anyone tried the 2-2-1 method for baby backs at 225? How’d it turn out?

They will certainly be tender. Good luck.

My new go-to is 260 ish for about 4 hours unwrapped. Spritz after about 2 hours. Parkay, honey, and light rub after 3 hours. Check at 3:45. If done, glaze for 15-30 minutes until set.

Reactions: Volsdeep4
They will certainly be tender. Good luck.

My new go-to is 260 ish for about 4 hours unwrapped. Spritz after about 2 hours. Parkay, honey, and light rub after 3 hours. Check at 3:45. If done, glaze for 15-30 minutes until set.
I will try this next time. 2-2-.45 was a little much IMO.

OK, you K-towner's...have you been to the new SImpson's Meat store on Murdock in Knoxville.

I haven't been to the store but have ordered from them before. The steaks are great. Their single cow ground beef is great. Their hot dogs are the best I've ever had. A steak on a bun! The Nashville Hots are interesting. Worth a try. I have a tri-tip that looks beautiful with great marbling. I'm just waiting on my new Grilla, Grilla showing up to cook it on.

My Masterbuilt MB560 died on me. I'm converting to a pellet smoker. Sortof sad about this. Next step is wearing dark socks with sandals. But I live in FL so it's all accepted.

OK, you K-towner's...have you been to the new SImpson's Meat store on Murdock in Knoxville.

I haven't been to the store but have ordered from them before. The steaks are great. Their single cow ground beef is great. Their hot dogs are the best I've ever had. A steak on a bun! The Nashville Hots are interesting. Worth a try. I have a tri-tip that looks beautiful with great marbling. I'm just waiting on my new Grilla, Grilla showing up to cook it on.

My Masterbuilt MB560 died on me. I'm converting to a pellet smoker. Sortof sad about this. Next step is wearing dark socks with sandals. But I live in FL so it's all accepted.
Hadn't heard about it, but will sure as heck go this weekend!

Hadn't heard about it, but will sure as heck go this weekend!

The 1st time I ordered from them a little over a year ago they had smoked pimento cheese which was incredible. Haven't seen it on their website since, but worth asking about if you like that sort of thing. Same with Chef Hal's Chimichurri. They don't make it but I ordered it from them. Incredible drizzled over picanha, flank, tri-tip. Again, it's been removed from their site.

They are closed Mon & Tues.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
The 1st time I ordered from them a little over a year ago they had smoked pimento cheese which was incredible. Haven't seen it on their website since, but worth asking about if you like that sort of thing. Same with Chef Hal's Chimichurri. They don't make it but I ordered it from them. Incredible drizzled over picanha, flank, tri-tip. Again, it's been removed from their site.

DUDE! This place is awesome. Got me a little weekend sampler today...

20210527_164841.jpg

DUDE! This place is awesome. Got me a little weekend sampler today...

View attachment 370523

Yep Benton's in Madisonville, TN has the best country ham of anywhere. And I don't know where he gets his hot dogs from, he doesn't make those, but the beef hotdogs are the best you'll ever eat from anywhere. That bacon he cures and smokes the old timers way for $8 a pound is top shelf stuff way better than anything from the store. The prosciutto from his 18-20 month hams is good. I stopped by there a couple of weeks ago and had them slice up an 8-10 month cured 17 lb hickory smoked ham. Talk about a real treat!! You already got me thinking about making some ham, eggs and red eye gravy as soon as I get back to the house tonight!! lol...

Simpson's was really pumping the house recipe country sausage I picked up. Went with the extra sage. Looking forward for biscuits and gravy Saturday morning...

Extra sage for gravy is the shizz! You're going to be in a food coma this weekend!

Yep Benton's in Madisonville, TN has the best country ham of anywhere. And I don't know where he gets his hot dogs from, he doesn't make those, but the beef hotdogs are the best you'll ever eat from anywhere. That bacon he cures and smokes the old timers way for $8 a pound is top shelf stuff way better than anything from the store. The prosciutto from his 18-20 month hams is good. I stopped by there a couple of weeks ago and had them slice up an 8-10 month cured 17 lb hickory smoked ham. Talk about a real treat!! You already got me thinking about making some ham, eggs and red eye gravy as soon as I get back to the house tonight!! lol...

I've tried all of those things from Benton's but never the hotdogs. My brother, who also lives down here in Sarasota brought back a 5lb pack of their ground beef and said it was great. The only thing I wouldn't recommend are the steaks. The ribeyes had no marbling. Won't buy again. The other stuff, always.

I reckon you did! Nice haul!

Have you had the Sweetwater Valley Buttermilk cheese? It's legit! Mom goes by there fairly often and picks up cheese. The Buttermilk is outstanding. Which sausages are those between the hotdogs and the eggs?
I actually have a "professional connection" with the Sweetwater Valley owners, so I get cheese gifts at work :). Love the Buttermilk. My nurses order lunch from there on a regular basis. Their bbq comes from Smokin F's, and they are also friends of mine -- great food and really awesome people.

Those sausages are the Nashville Hots you recommended.

The eggs are from a farm in Maryville.

I'm going to be a regular customer and have already sent several friends there for the weekend.

Incredible recommendation -- thanks so much!

My new Grilla Grilla Pellet Smoker finally showed up yesterday. I cleaned all the parts then seasoned at 450 for 45 minutes as suggested. Christened it with a spatchcocked chicken w/ Alabama white sauce last night.

Today, I took (2) 1lb. pork tenderloins, seasoned with Kosmo's SPG & Honey Killer Bee, wrapped in bacon, then seasoned with Killer Hogs BBQ rub.

Pellets are a blend of charcoal & hickory. Will cook at 250 on the Pro Smoke mode which allows for a swing in temp between 225 & 275 ish for greater smoke.

Grilla.jpgBacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin.jpg

Last edited:
considering an Ooni.

Who has one and which one did you get? Gas seems easiest.

Issues?

Someone on here has 1. I was getting one for Christmas but their deliveries were delayed so I cancelled.

I think the biggest issue is "don't turn your back!" These things cook quickly. They look cool as all get out.

VN Store

Back