The Grill and BBQ thread

Do you use this on a Turkey/breast that you smoke or in oven? If smoked what kind of wood do you use?
Whole turkey. Smoked on Kamado Joe Big Joe. Both with and without wood chunks. A different type of wood when I used chunks.

I like KJ charcoal or Fogo charcoal for smoking. I like Jealous Devil for grilling

Reactions: franklinpence
So, this thing is going to be far more difficult to transport than I initially thought. If I smoke a turkey in Birmingham, what's the recommendation for then transporting it to Nashville without sacrificing quality?

So, this thing is going to be far more difficult to transport than I initially thought. If I smoke a turkey in Birmingham, what's the recommendation for then transporting it to Nashville without sacrificing quality?

Trebuchet?

17.03.10%20mh%20Cardiff%20Council%20Firing55.jpg

I've made the Mad Mad Turkey several times and, yes, the gravy is the shiz! I brine the turkey and don't use wood...just the lump. It's always a hit.

Ordered the seasoning. Thoughts on gravy without the neck/liver/gizzard? I typically just go whole breast rather than full bird

Reactions: Go aeiou
Ordered the seasoning. Thoughts on gravy without the neck/liver/gizzard? I typically just go whole breast rather than full bird

I think that makes the gravy. I just chop up real fine and the neck is easy to clean. I never tell anybody they are in the gravy.

I did a similar drive last year, Nashville to Knoxville, with a turkey. I smoked it the night before and let it cool, then put it in the fridge overnight. Kept it in a cooler to stay cool for the drive and then used the oven to reheat it for thanksgiving dinner. I used a half pan with some broth at the bottom and tented it with foil to keep in moisture. Quality was still great, tasted like it just came off the smoker.

I did a similar drive last year, Nashville to Knoxville, with a turkey. I smoked it the night before and let it cool, then put it in the fridge overnight. Kept it in a cooler to stay cool for the drive and then used the oven to reheat it for thanksgiving dinner. I used a half pan with some broth at the bottom and tented it with foil to keep in moisture. Quality was still great, tasted like it just came off the smoker.

Interesting. Interesting.

I was thinking of smoking to 160, wrapping warm and placing it in a cooler, and then hitting it with the broiler for crispy skin.

Thoughts?

I have a cooking sickness according to my wife. I have filled up my screened in porch with a Competition Smoker, Big Green Egg and Blackstone Griddle. She loves the food but she says I need a bigger area. If I can figure out how to post a pic on here I will show you guys. I love to smoke stuff. I probably should have done this for a living but I like it as a hobby. I would love to smoke something different. I've done the Pork Butts, ribs, brisket, chicken and turkey. Do you guys have an idea for me. I prefer the turkey and chicken. The family likes pulled pork. One of my favorite finger foods is smoked/stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon.

Reactions: Go aeiou
I have a cooking sickness according to my wife. I have filled up my screened in porch with a Competition Smoker, Big Green Egg and Blackstone Griddle. She loves the food but she says I need a bigger area. If I can figure out how to post a pic on here I will show you guys. I love to smoke stuff. I probably should have done this for a living but I like it as a hobby. I would love to smoke something different. I've done the Pork Butts, ribs, brisket, chicken and turkey. Do you guys have an idea for me. I prefer the turkey and chicken. The family likes pulled pork. One of my favorite finger foods is smoked/stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon.
Aka atomic buffalo turds.
You might give salmon and trout a try. Alton Brown has a great rec ipe for smoked salmon. I started with it, and have modified it over the years.
Prime rib, pork tenderloin.
BTW, do it for a living and it will become work. You have to make a living $$.

Last edited:
Smoked Meatloaf, stuffed flank steak and Tritip are great. Fajitas, pizza, and kabobs are awesome on the grill.

VN Store

Back