The Grill and BBQ thread

I have one as well. Cooked on a kettle for almost a decade and just got the sns a year ago. It does what it says and is great for long cooks. About 9 hours is the max I've went before adding more fuel.

Reactions: volinbham
pricey yes but I plan to use the proceeds from the electric to cover it
You won't be disappointed. They do everything they say they will. I think the convenience is worth the price tag. Some don't and give them crap over it. But I use mine on almost every cook, so I don't regret spending the money one bit.

I'm intrigued by the new sns kamodo as well. If I ever decide to buy a really expensive rig, that one may be it.

I smoked up my first pork shoulder today. Did a 9# shoulder with pit boss pulled pork rub. I gotta say it turned out great for a first try. I put it on the smoker at 5:45, and had it ready to eat at 4:45. The whole family loved it, even my boy who`s going through one of those food stages where he hates everything that he used to like.

20191003_050952.jpg20191003_164757.jpg20191003_181426.jpg

Yep, pancetta would be good in JCHS's recipe.
I plan on using pancetta next time. This was a first attempt so I kept it simple. I have to get better at butterfling the flank steak too. That was more of a pain than I expected.

Guys my hybrid SmokeHollow grill/smoker is on its last leg. I’m looking for advice on a grill/smoker.

I grill and smoke all the typical stuff- chicken, steaks, burgers, Boston butts, fish, brisket, vegetables, etc.

I don’t use my propane side much, so I’m fine with going all charcoal.

I’m ok with spending a decent amount as long as I feel it’s a fair deal. I understand that you get what you pay for.

What would you get that is currently on the market? Thanks in advance.

Guys my hybrid SmokeHollow grill/smoker is on its last leg. I’m looking for advice on a grill/smoker.

I grill and smoke all the typical stuff- chicken, steaks, burgers, Boston butts, fish, brisket, vegetables, etc.

I don’t use my propane side much, so I’m fine with going all charcoal.

I’m ok with spending a decent amount as long as I feel it’s a fair deal. I understand that you get what you pay for.

What would you get that is currently on the market? Thanks in advance.
It depends on your price range. A Weber Kettle is probably your best bet on the low end. Middle of the road, the PK grills are great. If you want to drop some serious coin, look for a quality Kamado. All three have their strengths and weaknesses. But they will all do pretty much anything you want. There are other options if you don't mind having sepreate units for grilling and smoking. But if you want to keep it to one I would look at those three.

Reactions: Jxn Vol
I'm sure this has been discussed and I missed it in this thread, but I just bought a Traeger and I'm thinking Thanksgiving.

I'm interested in your smoked turkey and smoked ham receipes and experiences with them on a Traeger. I'm also planning on doing a brisket, but unless someone can persuade me otherwise I plan on just salt and pepper.

I'm sure this has been discussed and I missed it in this thread, but I just bought a Traeger and I'm thinking Thanksgiving.

I'm interested in your smoked turkey and smoked ham receipes and experiences with them on a Traeger. I'm also planning on doing a brisket, but unless someone can persuade me otherwise I plan on just salt and pepper.
Congrats on the Traeger! I love mine and will also be smoking my first turkey this year as well. If I see a recipe that looks promising, I'll post it.

As far as the brisket, I've done a half dozen or so and have found that plain salt and pepper work best for me. I do use a coarse grind. I was getting a little frustrated with the flat and point not being the proper doneness at the same time, so last smoke I separated them before cooking. When the point was ready I pulled it off and made burnt ends. This will be my go-to method for the foreseeable future.

Congrats on the Traeger! I love mine and will also be smoking my first turkey this year as well. If I see a recipe that looks promising, I'll post it.

As far as the brisket, I've done a half dozen or so and have found that plain salt and pepper work best for me. I do use a coarse grind. I was getting a little frustrated with the flat and point not being the proper doneness at the same time, so last smoke I separated them before cooking. When the point was ready I pulled it off and made burnt ends. This will be my go-to method for the foreseeable future.

Mad Max Turkey

Mad Max Turkey Method --Naked Whiz Ceramic Charcoal Cooking

My task for the weekend below. 34 lbs of brisket. My own rub recipe is below that. The secret ingredient is on the far left. The double secret ingredient is in the bottle on the butler pantry Im about to bust out (single malt). 20 hours from now should have brisket greatness. Gonna grill about 30 jalapeños too. I’m cooking for the wife’s family reunion. CD1E3300-7B96-4CE5-9FBC-86E887D39588.jpegF82D74D8-470A-4008-AEFD-E740A3EBB180.jpeg

It depends on your price range. A Weber Kettle is probably your best bet on the low end. Middle of the road, the PK grills are great. If you want to drop some serious coin, look for a quality Kamado. All three have their strengths and weaknesses. But they will all do pretty much anything you want. There are other options if you don't mind having sepreate units for grilling and smoking. But if you want to keep it to one I would look at those three.
Try a BGE ,they last forever and cook anything!!

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Reactions: rdavis007

VN Store

Back