The Grill and BBQ thread

Sorry for the late reply. I hope others jumped in to offer tips and suggestions. Are you using wood chips/ chunks? If so, stop! Just use the lump (which brings in another issue as some lumps are stronger than others). But I would use the lump, let it get going, lower the temp for reverse sear, and that should take most of the smoke out of the equation.

I might be stating the obvious, but make sure that you let the KJ burn for a bit so the smoke turns from white to a thinish blue. You might be putting the meat on too soon.

It's typically made when you fry chicken, and it looks somewhat like bacon/sausage gravy. Mom's was always white.
I grew up in the 50/60s in E TN, and most people kept a can of bacon grease on the stove to cook with so bacon gravy was common. I still prefer bacon gravy to sausage.
To this day if we can't get excellent fresh seafood my wife's favorite meal is biscuits and gravy. Ha, she likes sausage gravy.

Just kidding about the food your eating. We're having beef short ribs with veggies and mashed potatoes or polenta tonight. The liquid used to braise and fat rendered from the ribs makes it's own sauce.
Lol no worries. I do like bacon gravy and need to make it more. I'll give chicken gravy a shot. I'm curious now.

Reactions: MAD
It's typically made when you fry chicken, and it looks somewhat like bacon/sausage gravy. Mom's was always white.
I grew up in the 50/60s in E TN, and most people kept a can of bacon grease on the stove to cook with so bacon gravy was common. I still prefer bacon gravy to sausage.
To this day if we can't get excellent fresh seafood my wife's favorite meal is biscuits and gravy. Ha, she likes sausage gravy.

Just kidding about the food your eating. We're having beef short ribs with veggies and mashed potatoes or polenta tonight. The liquid used to braise and fat rendered from the ribs makes it's own sauce.

Around Cookeville, Chocolate gravy seems to be thing.

Now being a tomato lover, I make tomato gravy for biscuits. Usually when I only have vine ripe summer heirlooms. Prob several different recipes. Mt brother-in-laws mother uses canned tomatoes in whites gravy. Never did that. I dice up good tomatoes, make my gravy from bacon drippings, or sausage, make the standard southern biscuit graving, and add the tomatoes near the end. Does not decrease in value if used on can biscuits. Tomato gravy is the bomb.

I really wish I was better with a grill/smoker....I feel like I should have my man card pulled. :confused:
No better cure for that than practice. And/Or get you a good set and forget smoker that doesn't require babysitting. There are plenty of them around now.

Around Cookeville, Chocolate gravy seems to be thing.

Now being a tomato lover, I make tomato gravy for biscuits. Usually when I only have vine ripe summer heirlooms. Prob several different recipes. Mt brother-in-laws mother uses canned tomatoes in whites gravy. Never did that. I dice up good tomatoes, make my gravy from bacon drippings, or sausage, make the standard southern biscuit graving, and add the tomatoes near the end. Does not decrease in value if used on can biscuits. Tomato gravy is the bomb.

Chocolate gravy----yucky poo!

Interesting gravy. Probably increases in value on can biscuits. I eat fresh tomatoes until I am sick of them. Cooking with them is a good way to use them.

I have a 70 yo friend who ate canned biscuits as a child and still prefers them over other biscuits. Nothing like scratch to me.

I really wish I was better with a grill/smoker....I feel like I should have my man card pulled. :confused:
No better cure for that than practice. And/Or get you a good set and forget smoker that doesn't require babysitting. There are plenty of them around now.

Honestly it isn't hard to be good at it. Some things are pretty dang easy. We have some posters that are exceptional at it but being good is entirely doable. The Internet has all the info you need.

Even if you just have a decent gas grill you can get things like the A-MAZE-N pellet smoke tray or the Smokin wedgie and do some. Likewise, a basic Weber kettle charcoal grill can do amazing things from quick to extended.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Honestly it isn't hard to be good at it. Some things are pretty dang easy. We have some posters that are exceptional at it but being good is entirely doable. The Internet has all the info you need.

Even if you just have a decent gas grill you can get things like the A-MAZE-N pellet smoke tray or the Smokin wedgie and do some. Likewise, a basic Weber kettle charcoal grill can do amazing things from quick to extended.
Yep, I do most of my smoking on a Weber kettle these days. It requires more attention than the PBC, but it's not difficult. I have a slow and sear for it which simplifies things.

Anyone have the Weber Jumbo Joe? I'm looking for a portable/tailgate grill.

c956b9806ecf41c14b88c7c3e9aec538.jpg

Ditto, I have nothing against a gas grill. Used one for years. Probably still would if you could still buy the cast gas grills instead of the stamped ones. I had a basic cast propane grill. Replaced the insides 4 times. Should have kept it. Would wrap smoking pellets inside foil and poke holes in it and rest it on top of one of the burners. I could turn out gas grilled food to rival any charcoal burner. turn one side off. Burn the middle and other side. Place whole chicken on unlit side. Done in 2.5 hours and amazing.

Anyone have the Weber Jumbo Joe? I'm looking for a portable/tailgate grill.

c956b9806ecf41c14b88c7c3e9aec538.jpg

I've got the standard Weber Kettle grill. Never been my favorite. Not into it. Can't adjust coal height. Vents in center on bottom. Offset on top. Doesn't seem to draft right for anything except plain old grilling. Says you can smoke on it, but I've never liked the draft for slowed down cooking on that thing. I really want a PK Grill. the original is $300. The new fancier, larger one is upwards of $700. But, still one of the few cast aluminum body grills you can get. And a great design, and vent placements for just about any type of grilling/smoking.

For tail gating, I'd say this is a good choice, however.

BBQ Guys has a few to choose from as well. A couple of them also available at HD.
Capture.PNG

I do like Weber kettles (have the 22). I have an old 18 I've considered "cutting down" to make it portable but it's in pretty rough shape.

At this point I'm leaning towards the Weber Go-Anywhere instead of the Jumbo Joe. More portable and can still do 2 zone cooking if desired. The fine folks at Grill Grates have even made a set for it.

Just went to order from BBQ Guys - got my gas grill there and it was a great experience. Put the Weber Go Anywhere in the cart = $15 shipping. Put a compact chimney starter in the cart = $8 shipping (the product cost was $13!). $23 shipping for just under $70 in product.

No thanks. Went with Amazon for $0 shipping (though I did pay $7 in tax).

I have a $35 credit at BBQ guys but I'll have to wait for something where they won't kill me on shipping.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Just went to order from BBQ Guys - got my gas grill there and it was a great experience. Put the Weber Go Anywhere in the cart = $15 shipping. Put a compact chimney starter in the cart = $8 shipping (the product cost was $13!). $23 shipping for just under $70 in product.

No thanks. Went with Amazon for $0 shipping (though I did pay $7 in tax).

I have a $35 credit at BBQ guys but I'll have to wait for something where they won't kill me on shipping.

Have the same reaction to ordering from rockauto for car parts. Great prices. Choice of knock off stuff, or quality name parts. I will check the local auto parts for price comparisons, then go back to rock auto and load up to see what my total is with shipping. Sometimes works out to just go buy in town. But, I did get a Gates water pump and fan clutch for same price as just the Gates pump at the local store. saved $30 after shipping. Forgot to order hte long belt. Gates brand on rock auto under $12. Gates at O'reilly $43. So he gave it to me $2 over cost. they price matched a $140 battery for me to one at Walmart for $75 when I pulled my phone out, and it was some cheapo battery they priced matched that wasn't even for my wife's car. So now, I go in their with other stores pulled up already. LOL.

The inside was fantastic but the outside was rubbery and didn't shred apart well. What'd I do wrong? I followed Franklin's method: smoke at 275 for 5 hours, wrap in tin foil and finish.

20190922_144705.jpg20190922_145449.jpg

Reactions: JCHateSteve and MAD
The inside was fantastic but the outside was rubbery and didn't shred apart well. What'd I do wrong? I followed Franklin's method: smoke at 275 for 5 hours, wrap in tin foil and finish.

View attachment 226854View attachment 226855
Well it looks yummy. I generally smoke at about 225 and never let it go above 250. Did you sauce it before wraping it in foil?

VN Store

Back