The Downfall Of Tennessee Football

You do realize education is the prime objective of the university and sports are just a minor extracurricular activity?
Sure. I think most of us realize universities are for education. However, this message board is specifically for discussing those extracurricular activities you mentioned. That’s it’s purpose.

Maybe you can start one that focuses on academics.

Hamilton could’ve done many different things. Could’ve hired Patterson or Sumlin. Could’ve retained Kippy Brown as interim coach rather than reach for Dooley, especially since MH left before the 2011 season.

Hart also wasn’t here long. And since he was “retiring,” Butch wasn’t fired at the appropriate time. Wouldn’t be good to change coaches before a new AD (Currie) was named. This is similar to the AD revolving door at USCw. Swann is out, and that will get filled before determining fate of Helton.

Hamilton was the beginning, then Dave from Bama who did not want the Vols to succeed. Look at his hires...fulmer has no administrative experience or training where it counts..yesterday Jeremy played a lot of his recruits and it made a big difference. I feel better now. A win over Florida would help us all. The university administration needs to get on board. College is more than book learning...

Hamilton was the beginning, then Dave from Bama who did not want the Vols to succeed. Look at his hires...fulmer has no administrative experience or training where it counts..yesterday Jeremy played a lot of his recruits and it made a big difference. I feel better now. A win over Florida would help us all. The university administration needs to get on board. College is more than book learning...

I finally watched this and I agree with this guy 100%. UT is backed into a corner where the only option is to fight it’s way out and weather the storm. These are kids that live in the bubble that is Knoxville and really just need our support. Regardless of what’s happened so far this year, the 2019 coaching staff from top to bottom has as impressive a resume as any Top 10 staff in the country. And, like he said, the recruiting class seems intent on staying together. It will be an amazing story once the program gets back on track. The difficult part is figuring out when that will be. The way this team played on Saturday looked like a Top 10 program handling business against a cupcake. To me that means this team has ability but is wildly unstable. Which perfectly sums up the state of the program. All we can do is fill up Neyland and cheer these guys on.

I don't think UT will be back until they have leadership at the top (president, board of trustees) who are committed to the football team being big winners. Bammer found this out during their wilderness experience. We're where we are because the leadership has been so bad really since Johnson retired. Great leadership at the top yields good AD's who get good coaches. That and a lot cheating in recruiting.:cool:

This all day long.

The way this team played on Saturday looked like a Top 10 program handling business against a cupcake.

Wow...just...wow

Even though I witness it over and over, I am still amazed at how our fan base responds to victories like this one.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
It all started with the firing of Fulmer. He had a bad start to a season then...gotta fire his catfish eating azz. They should of kept him on as face of the program. Like PSU did with Paterno...or FSU with Bowden. Paterno and Bowden weren't calling X's and O's near the end. No way. Paterno hardly knew where he was...same with Bowden...but they had good assistants running things...and having them as the "face" of the program helped keep the recruiting train rolling. Same could of been done with Fulmer...and we don't go through all these years of exile in the wilderness. UT did this to themselves. Thinking they were so above slipping ONE YEAR. Oh no...can't have that at UT. Now look where we're at.
Fulmer wouldn't hire anybody good though !

Amazing how one man can play such a large role in completely derailing a dominant program like ours. Overlooking Gary Patterson, hiring loose-cannon Kiffin, and then hiring completely unproven Dooley still haunt this program to today. Urghhh... all this still hurts!

And also not managing Fulmer’s final years we’ll either. Added bonuses to his contact for winning 8 games (rewarding mediocre results) and then firing him for performing at low standards.

Reactions: BigOrangeArsenal
I noticed a few mistakes, the narrator mentioned that Neyland left to serve in war twice, the first time he left was because he was stationed in Panama. The second mistake was that he said we got beaten badly by Bama in 2015, we didn't. That was the closest we've played Bama in years, I think we lost 14-12 or something similar. Lastly, if you're going to do a video about Tennessee, learn to pronounce Appalachian correctly...

Not really worth 20 mins of *my* time at least.
That video didn't put anything together that the vast majority of us who have been around didn't already know.
And the grand finale to the whole video boils down to actually three choices:

A. Keep Pruitt,
B. Fire Pruitt and replace him with Fulmer
C. Fire Pruitt and replace him with <mystery HFC>

Just brilliant.
And the fact that that kid even threw Fulmer's name in there as a realistic replacement for Pruitt? Give me a break.

It all started with the firing of Fulmer. He had a bad start to a season then...gotta fire his catfish eating azz. They should of kept him on as face of the program. Like PSU did with Paterno...or FSU with Bowden. Paterno and Bowden weren't calling X's and O's near the end. No way. Paterno hardly knew where he was...same with Bowden...but they had good assistants running things...and having them as the "face" of the program helped keep the recruiting train rolling. Same could of been done with Fulmer...and we don't go through all these years of exile in the wilderness. UT did this to themselves. Thinking they were so above slipping ONE YEAR. Oh no...can't have that at UT. Now look where we're at.
One year? Better check the record again.

Amazing how one man can play such a large role in completely derailing a dominant program like ours. Overlooking Gary Patterson, hiring loose-cannon Kiffin,

My memory is slightly fuzzy around that time because of all the speculation and Gruden Part 1.
I thought Patterson HAD been contacted but turned it down. I'm willing to be corrected on that, though.

and then hiring completely unproven Dooley still haunt this program to today. Urghhh... all this still hurts!

Based on the precise timing of Kiffin's departure (I want to say it was around 3ish weeks before signing day?), I think a lot of folks knew there wasn't a lot available to get at that point. I doubt any proven, legit, 'winner' was willing to take on the dumpster fire that Tennessee had become overnight, and I doubt Dooley was #1 on the list in any case.

Quite frankly, if you want to blame anybody for Dooley coming to Tennessee, Pete Carroll should get at least part of it. Pete Carroll bolted from USC not just because the NFL came knocking, but because he also knew the hammer was about to fall heavy on USC. If Pete Carroll doesn't leave USC on January 11th, then Lane Kiffin doesn't leave Tennessee on January 12th, and then we don't hire Derek Dooley on January 15th...

Kiffin may not have been the ultimate answer to UT's future, and maybe the school would have been hit with some sanctions. But worse than any sanctions over, say, a 3-year tenure at UT would have been nothing compared to the fallout that happened when he left in January after just one year. The instability in the program at that point cost us in scholarship players and potential recruits.

Anyway, Had Kiffin stayed for about 3 years at least, Dooley wouldn't have been on the radar, and the program (or at least the roster) would have been in much better shape, and there's a good chance that not even Trumpet Playin' Jones would have been hired either.

So in the BIG picture, I -- for one -- blame Pete Carroll for our woes.
... and Fulmer, because nobody should forget how and why we ended up shopping for a head coach in the first place.

Last edited:
You do realize education is the prime objective of the university and sports are just a minor extracurricular activity?
Yeah. Minor extracurricular activity. Like rec league racketball or trivia night.

Except, you know, the fact that the football team is worth more money to the University than any single department on Campus.

This was one man’s opinion meshed in with a history lesson. I have my own opinions on why our program has been in a free fall and I could make it way longer than 20 minutes. Sounded like we would have revelations on things that happened within program, it was just one persons narrative and a little history put with video clips.....meh, I stick to my version that I have in my own head.

Reactions: tango
Well put together video...everything we already knew...Mike Leach Mike Leach Mike Leach...I am so tired of people pushing for this idiot...he went 1-8, 4-5, 2-7 in the weak Pac 10 during his first 3 years and is 33-30 in Pac 10 during his career. I disagree that Tennessee should have hired this nut. I do appreciate you saying we should give Pruitt a chance and lay off. He deserves at least 4 years.
At least 4 years... That's a frightening thought if we continue on this current trajectory

Clemsuck has replaced us. Getting the prospects that would have went here if we didn't have buffoons running the show.. They torpedoed the program. Had a favorable schedule this year and already shat the bed. They act desperate every time we hire a coach. Turn the search into a 3 ring circus. All this crap is self inflicted from the top down. Then they send trolls on this site to shut you up and expect you to be happy with a win over mighty Chattanooga. This is Tennessee football anymore. Sad really.

VN Store

Back